Rope Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I've never smoked any rope tobacco in the more than 50 years I'm on the pipe.

I reckon I should try everything available, even if it's only once.

I'm sure the brothers can help me chose one or two blends?

I love strong tobacco but I don't want my socks burnt off my feet.

I thank you for your assistance :cheers:

Talking about the Sam Gawith & Gawith Hoggarth ropes (there may be others available, but if so, I haven't come across them), they both have well-made examples. All have fairly high N. In general, the thinner the rope, the more concentrated the flavors. The brown ropes will have slighter higher N and a more natural tobacco flavor. The black ropes . . . the first time I tried the SG version, I thought I was smoking the burnt fat of off a very unclean grill. It's probably the most intense flavor of all the ones I've tried. Despite that, I rather enjoy the GH version.

GH also has more cased versions. If you can order from Mr Snuff in Northern Ireland, they usually have a wide array of the flavored versions in their 'smokeless tobacco section' https://mrsnuff.com/gawith-hoggarth-twist-c-186_188.html although it looks pretty limited at the moment.

You may also consider SG's Brown #4, which has a bit of Kentucky & cigar leaf twisted in with VAs. Also, GH sells (or sold, I've never seen it and there's only a review from 2006 at tobacco reviews) 'Beacon Light Twist' with less N.

I can only speak to the GH ropes. Brown Irish X is one of my go-to smokes. It's pretty strong, but I don't think it's overpowering (less strong than something like D&R Picayune, for instance). The black twists are typically not as strong as the brown ones, but their flavor is definitely an acquired taste. I much prefer the brown twists.

The GH flavored twists are only lightly flavored for the most part, nothing like what most think of as an "aromatic." I've smoked and enjoyed the Sweet Rum, Sweet Maple, Black Cherry, and Sweet Coconut varieties.

To get started, you might just order an ounce or so each of the Brown Irish and Black Irish to get a feel for what each of the basic varieties is like. The flavored ropes are all based on the Brown Irish.

I should add that you can also chew these, if you're into that. I'll occasionally chew one of the flavored twists; the nicotine hit is quite a bit stronger this way.

GH Brown Irish X or Maple Twist are very good. I think the GH Happy Brown Bogie and SG Brown #4 are stronger, the #4 in particular can make my head spin :bom:

Quite fond of the ropes myself. Don't discount even the strongest ropes out there. If you treat them with respect they are fine smokes. Don't try them in a large pipe, or on an empty stomach and you should be fine. The only other thing I have to add is that you can get a presliced rope from EACarey.Co.uk in England. Its one of their "house" blends. I'm sure its made by either S.G. or G&H. They have a number of blends that are straight up S.G. with their own twist added to them. Such as best brown flake with vanilla added to it. They ship worldwide and had no problem taking my American credit card or shipping to me in the US, so I'm sure South Africa shouldn't be a problem for them. The tobacco is Carey's Boutique Black Twist. It comes in a 50gram pouch and as I said is presliced. I haven't tried this one yet but was intending too after the new year.

Hope this is of some help Pete

Jim

I have some SG Brown #4 coming. This will be my first rope. I love Peter Heinrich Curly Block. It's not really a rope, more like a plug (Think of Escudo that is uncut) Just a bar of tobacco.

wolfeman

I enjoy the Gawith Hoggarth ropes, Sam G's not as much. Brown Irish X is very good, Black Irish X is more of an occasional smoke that I have to be in the mood for.

Sam G's Brown No. 4 is one of the strongest I have experienced. I find the flavor to be bone dry (devoid of any sweetness), very earthy & a bit spicy. Their Black XX must be experienced rather than described. Very strong though.

I thank you for all your feedback, my brothers !

I'm going to submit an order in the new year as soon as the Christmas rush is over.

I will tell you all what I've ordered.

Just a thought; I still have a cigar cutter from the days when I could still afford to smoke them. I was wondering whether I could use this tool to snip the ropes?

:cheers: :cheers:

SpeedyPete":yfsbf4g5 said:
Just a thought;  I still have a cigar cutter from the days when I could  still afford to smoke them. I was wondering whether I could use this tool to snip the ropes?

A really good one might (the little cheap ones won't, or at least mine didn't). I think a good knife or kitchen shears would work better.

SpeedyPete":hm7udbwk said:
I thank you for all your feedback, my brothers !

I'm going to submit an order in the new year as soon as the Christmas rush is over.

I will tell you all what  I've ordered.

Just a thought;  I still have a cigar cutter from the days when I could  still afford to smoke them. I was wondering whether I could use this tool to snip the ropes?

I have a Xikar cutter that works great for cutting ropes.  You can cut nice thin coins that can be easily rubbed out.

Ropes kick my scrawny lil' arse! SG Brown in particular. Hey-suess Maria - talk about a nic-overdose!!  :silent:

I did get in some of the SG Black at some point many years ago but have conveniently forgotten about it. Maybe I should dig it out and give it a whirl but have no idea where it might be - or perhaps it would be better off just forgotten about!

I was gifted some kind of skinny rope many years ago from Greyson (remember him?), and that seemed pretty mild in the nic-dept. Wonder where that got off to? But also remember that as kind of "meh".

Not inclined to try any of the G&H ropes. More for youse guys!

:eek:

Cheers,

RR

SpeedyPete":3ss7e2dd said:

If it's sturdy, it should work. Be warned that I've broken several cheapo cigar cutters this way.

SpeedyPete":7h7640wq said:

It's got to be really sharp double guillotine. A cigar scissors works best IMO or a very sharp pocket knife.

Why gunk up your good cigar cutter? Use a good, very sharp knife...even chef’s knives work well. Just clean the blade off really well. You’ll find that the Salivary Amylase in spit is a good solvent for “rope gunk”.

Like I said, I have brown #4 coming. Because of this thread, I also have happy brown bogie coming too. Hahaha

Wolfeman

dolemiike":li9m7zz4 said:
Like I said, I have brown #4 coming. Because of this thread, I also have happy brown bogie coming too. Hahaha

Wolfeman
Let them dry a bit before packing...

Thanks for the tip. The brown #4 came in and it was bone dry. I called up smoking pipes. They said that wasn't normal, so I sent it back and a replacement should be in the way. The happy bogie should be here any day now.

Yup, the ropes are among the most moist tobaccos I've had. Sorry to hear, but they are really good with service.