routers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I haven't installed a new router in a while. The last time, I didn't need a phone. Remember when they used to give you a driver or software on a CD? Now, you have to download everything, and in this case, you couldn't use a PC or laptop to set up the router. The "app" wasn't compatible with Windows or Mac. You had to start with a phone and then finish with your PC or laptop. It's nothing new to have to go online and download a driver, but for none of this to be compatible with Windows or Mac is ridiculous. Not a happy camper.

They don't give you a CD driver, nor mount screws. There's no manual. A single piece of card stock with a couple photos and the app title. The provided ethernet cable is as thin as a single strand of fettuccine. The router itself weighs as much as a couple pieces of toast. Yet, they can charge $140+.

A lot of routers these days allow for cloud configuration and monitoring via an app. In reality a router requires no "drivers" as the networking protocols are native to any network capable device. The old CDs that came with them just made it easy to configure them for the end user. All they really did was open a browser window and connect to your gateway (usually 192.168.0.1 for private networks) and guide you through the setup, which is similar to what the app is doing. The app should provide access to your router no matter where you are (not just from within your home) via the cloud connection so you can access it wherever you are. This can be a big benefit for monitoring kids, knowing if an unauthorized device has access to your network, etc.

What's the make and model of your router?

A lot of routers these days allow for cloud configuration and monitoring via an app. In reality a router requires no "drivers" as the networking protocols are native to any network capable device. The old CDs that came with them just made it easy to configure them for the end user. All they really did was open a browser window and connect to your gateway (usually 192.168.0.1 for private networks) and guide you through the setup, which is similar to what the app is doing. The app should provide access to your router no matter where you are (not just from within your home) via the cloud connection so you can access it wherever you are. This can be a big benefit for monitoring kids, knowing if an unauthorized device has access to your network, etc.

What's the make and model of your router?
Thanks for the additional information.

It's a Netgear Nighthawk RAX38.

To add to the fun, last night, it stopped working. Working, and then not working. I tried power cycling the modem and the router. Unplugged for 20 minutes. Unplug/plug cords. You name it. I tried the old router, and it worked fine. I couldn't figure it out, so I returned it for a replacement. 4 hours on the phone with the first one. I thought for sure I'd race right through with the replacement. NOT. 2.5 hours on the phone with that one. Their app wouldn't find the router. Changed the MAP. Found the router. Then wouldn't acknowledge the password that came with the router. That's another thing. 3 passwords. One for the registration, which you have to do in order to get to the setup in the app. You can't do it later or bypass it. Then another password as you access the router settings. Then another password for the changing of the network name and password so it isn't their goofy network name.

I'm no tech wizard, but I've always done my own work on computers, from adding internal drives to swapping optical drives to adding RAM to new printers to whatever. I've never spent 6.5 hours on any of it. Maybe not 6.5 hours total, except when changing to a whole new computer and reinstalling all the software I use for other things.

Everyone seems to recommend Netgear, but nobody talks about the clunky, and slow, app you need to set it up. I'll say it again. If I could set up the last router, which was my first router install and included messing with ports, in maybe less than an hour, without a phone, then why is it taking me hours to set up a new one with a phone? The Netgear tech service was very helpful. Kudos to them in India (no slight there, either). Even with their solid help, it took hours. It has to be on purpose.

If it was me I’d opt for a different product. I HATE spending time on the phone with some subcontinent techie. And if there are so many problems NOW…what does the future hold. I’d want one that you power on…it finds your device…you accept it…it sends set up stuff and automatically configures, etc. Done.