Royal Yuck

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somedumbjerk

Reaction score
actually, it's royal yum. i really like this stuff so far. it nips at me if i get too aggressive, but the flavor and strength are just what i've been loving lately. it's pretty sweet, has a sort of fruit thing going on that i can't pinpoint. similar to UF, but a little on the lighter side of the spectrum. it's like the plums have been cut with blackberries, or how i remember mulberries tasting (haven't eaten those since i picked them off the tree in the house i grew up in, 15 years or so). it has a good N kick, less than rope, more than UF. a good happy medium. i've been preferring the stronger stuff lately, especially since i'm only really smoking a bowl after work these days. i could see this one tiring your palate if you tried it all day. goes great with a hoppy beer, which a lot of my favorite VAs do not, so this is a plus. no idea on the room note, but i think it's less pleasant than UF. i keep comparing the two in my head, they are very similar to me. cousins more than brothers though. i'll add more onto this as i wrap my head around it. i can definitely see why this is a love/hate tobacco. i wonder how it tastes with some age on it... might help the VAs come through. they play a nice base for this, but the hay/barnyard thing is a little overpowered by the fruit. i still get a nice natural tobacco flavor, don't get me wrong. the subtleties of the va get a little lost in the composition. i think it would be different in a big bowl, and i plan on smoking one this weekend while i'm camping in Big Sur. overall: gotta try it once. you'll know if you like it. i personally want to buy it in bulk.

Great review SDJ! I too enjoy this Dunhill blend, and wish it were available in bulk like some of the others. I would certainly like to know I had 5 pounds aging for pure enjoyment, at some point down the road. I believe from what I have read, the aging process would be much more effective in a mason jar anyway, than in the sealed coin twist tins that Royal Yacht is presented in.

A fine review. I've recently found that I like Royal Yacht. Like you I had trouble identifying the tin note. I decided it was a lot like golden raisins. It's a good smoke. I thought the "N" value might prove too much like it did a year ago when I first tried it but as it turned out I didn't hardly notice it this time around. Will be ordering enough to cellar and have a tin or two to smoke as time passes.

AJ

I have a source for up to about 5 tins that have 3 yrs age on them if anyone is interested. I would buy them and ship them, at no profit, or I could PM anyone the place's phone number and have you order directly.

Bad news is the Canadian tax man got a hold of them. Think they are about 32$ CAD :( Welcome to Canada. Do you smoke or drink? Well then F you. Thanks. Thanks Canada.

I've been smoking Royal Yacht for some time now,usually at least 2 bowls a day, many times more! It was supposedly the ONLY blend the Belgian mystery writer Georges Simenon smoked in his 300 Dunhills ! :twisted:  Smoking a first bowl of it as I type in fact this morning ! I consider it one of if not the BEST blend "Dunhill" makes these days IMHO :twisted: 

I'm assuming "UF" is a reference to Peterson's "University Flake?"  

Well that adds a whole new twist on things.  I wasn't much a fan of UF...it wasn't bad, but it had this faintly artificial "home run pie" thing going on with it that just didn't work.   Same with Esoterica "And So to Bed."   As if someone put gobs of jam in and about the tobacco.   :pale:

Now, to those who know, I do like Erinmore flake.  A "scent" is fine, I just don't wanna taste blueberry jam, huckleberry preserves or direct, fake fruit products in tobacco.  Is Royal Yuck leaning more towards the spirit of Erinmore Flake or...something else?  

8)

Kyle Weiss":xk4h1y0e said:

Well that adds a whole new twist on things.  I wasn't much a fan of UF...it wasn't bad, but it had this faintly artificial "home run pie" thing going on with it that just didn't work.   Same with Esoterica "And So to Bed."   As if someone put gobs of jam in and about the tobacco.   :pale:

Now, to those who know, I do like Erinmore flake.  A "scent" is fine, I just don't wanna taste blueberry jam, huckleberry preserves or direct, fake fruit products in tobacco.  Is Royal Yuck leaning more towards the spirit of Erinmore Flake or...something else?  

8)
In between the two. Not intense like Unii flake.

monbla256":ihz6j7mz said:
I've been smoking Royal Yacht for some time now,usually at least 2 bowls a day, many times more! It was supposedly the ONLY blend the Belgian mystery writer Georges Simenon smoked in his 300 Dunhills ! :twisted:  Smoking a first bowl of it as I type in fact this morning ! I consider it one of if not the BEST blend "Dunhill" makes these days IMHO :twisted: 
I've no problem labeling it outright as the BEST they now make.

somedumbjerk":gc6uvvi7 said:
In between the two. Not intense like Unii flake.
Hrm.   Interest piqued; skepticism acknowledged. :suspect:  (...not of you, of the leaf... :lol: )

If it ain't for me, you can expect a tin minus a few bowls arriving at your door.  

8)

Kyle Weiss":fz7dbna7 said:

8)
In my experience, and I smoke both, RY is NOT AT ALL like EF! Much, much fuller and the "topping" is almost non-existent to me though it does help with the room note. EF has more hay.citrus taste and feel to me and RY is a much fuller, stronger dark Va flavor. JMHO :twisted: 

RY is one of the Dunhill blends I wish they'd make in bulk. Great stuff, and it doesn't skimp on the N. In fact, if somebody just wants to go ahead and send me some, I'd really like that.

Screw it, I'm in a really bad mood, and I want a tobacco that's gonna belly up to the bar.

Opening the tin tonight. The hell with it.

Kyle Weiss":exx9cz5t said:
Screw it, I'm in a really bad mood, and I want a tobacco that's gonna belly up to the bar.  

Opening the tin tonight.  The hell with it.  
I am in a bad mood as well. Just got back from an excellent vacation, our first real vacation in 6 years. Traffic sucked all the way home, & as soon as we got in, the s%&t hit the fan. :x 

Now where was that tin of Union Square I stashed away? :D

Stick with Union Square.

My Royal Yuck report thus far:

* Reminds me of Dunhill cigarettes a friend of mine was obsessed with for years.

* Smooth as silk; nice on the tongue, hell on the nose for some reason.

* Topping is negligible, smells like slightly sour pears in the tin.

* Flavor was extremely cigarette-like. Clung to my clothes like no other pipe tobacco.

* Horrible aftertaste. I smoke some stinky, strong stuff, but I had to brush my teeth afterward.

* Nicotine was up there, especially for a ribbon-cut. Put me in a better mood, at least.

Overall, not my thing. Its predominant flavor was far too "cigarette" and not enough anything else. Tastes kind of washed-out and muted. There were some other flavors in there that were kind of pleasant, but far too distant and removed. Performed wonderfully; great for fellas who are...I hate to say this...: into really good cigarette tobacco, you know, the actual quality stuff (i.e., Dunhill brand). It's not the disgusting bastard everyone makes it out to be, but dynamic, rich, full or complex--it is not. It's just a heady Virginny tobacco. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sorry, Monbla, I think the only thing we have in common tobacco-wise is Erinmore Flake. :lol: At least I tried.

8)

RY is a blend that seems very difficult to pin down. The first time I tried it I thought it tasted like 1792. I have not tasted tonkin in it since. Now I get a strong, smooth Virginia with very little sweetness. The more I smoke it the more I like it. I have never tasted anything even remotely fruity!?

Does anyone have any idea what it is actually flavored with?

Todd

taharris":z3r3su8s said:
Does anyone have any idea what it is actually flavored with?
If I had to guess I say prune juice (keeps me regular! :lol: ) :scratch: 

Whatever it is it's very subtle IMO - what dominates the flavour is just good dark Va to my tastebuds. Truly unique and lovely stuff!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

Kyle Weiss":43f09lf2 said:
.   It's just a heady Virginny tobacco.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

8)
Well, what MORE could one want? :twisted: :twisted: 

Never smoked RY; probably never will. That said, I belong to, or have been on, six different pipe & tobacco boards. Pipers either really like RY or they absolutely hate it!! After all, it didn't become Royal Yuck out of happenstance!!:p FTRPLT