Rum anyone?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the macdonald

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of new rums on the selves these days, any rum drinkers in here?

The AC went out on my truck again so I spent about an hour in Liquor Barn today. (multiple location across the state Wal-Mart sized Liquor stores.. Gotta website and the whole nine yards..). I was thinking the exact same thing.. Not long ago Appleton Estates was the top of top shelf... Now granted I haven't tried any of the New stuff but I verify what your saying...And if price tag is any indicator (it isn't ) appleton has some serious competition.

As you may have guessed I'm an Appleton fan boy.. I seldom drink anymore.. But if I do you can just about put your money on it.. Its Appleton. Unless of course its a Martini or Margarita.. Rum wouldn't make much sense in that case huh...lol.

puros_bran":hh53wo0c said:
multiple location across the state Wal-Mart sized Liquor stores
icon_eek.gif
Dayum! Sounds heavenly!

Last year I was on a Sailor Jerry kick, I occasionally partake of some form of Bacardi.

For a cheap decently-priced rum, for mixing etc, I usually go for Cruzan. Unless it's Dark & Stormy season, in which case it's got to be Gosling's Black Seal. (Lots of my neighbors are of Carribean origin, so proper ginger beer is usually in the supermarket.)

When I want to indulge a little more, I like Pusser's Navy Rum. The proceeds still go to the Old Sailors' Home (UK), so I'm just doing charity work like any decent fellow would. 8)

Yesterday when I dropped by Green's Discount Liquors in Greenville, SC I too was surprised by the number of new rums available on the shelves. Unfortunately they didn't have any Screech from Newfoundland which I really enjoyed on a hunting trip there several years ago.

Anyway, the darker rums are more appealing to me with Myers Dark or Bacardi Anejo hecho in Mexico being my favorites. For an amber rum, Mt. Gay is what I usually buy.

In the summer I'll make a Cuba Libre with Mt. Gay or a Hemingway Daiquiri (grapefruit juice w/lime splash on crushed ice) with Myers Dark. During the winter I like hot chocolate with Bacardi Anejo. Though I haven't made it in a while, a good recipe I learned from merchant in Charlotte Amalie consisted of a 32 oz. can of Hawaiian Punch, 8 oz. of orange juice, and the juice of one lemon and one lime, topped with a bottle of rum.

Jim

Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 year old Rum ($30-$40). If you have the extra cash go for the Ron Zacapa Centenario XO Solera Gran Reserva Especial ($100-$125)

You'll thank me later............ :drunken:

Dover for 100 bucks it better sex me up, clean my house and wash my dirty bloomers while I sleep it off, and have me some aspirin and sausage bisquits waiting for when I get up...
Because if I come home on a $100 drunk I'm not going to have a wife to do the rest of that stuff.

Here ya go... http://www.boozebasher.com/2009-07-07/rum/liquor-review-sailor-jerry-spiced-navy-rum/ ... And if ya like it as much as he did ya still have $75 to buy sex and $5 to buy some aspirin and a bisquit... Good deal lucille.

Sailor Jerry's was a staple in my liquor cabinet for a year or so, I might have to pick me up another bottle on the way home today, get home & throw up the Skull n Crossbones put me patch over me bad eye, grab momma by the hair n have a helluva night arrrrrrrrrrr.

Well the rum sounds good... But unless momma is gettin it somewhere else she's cut off...
Tired of the 'tude n the drama.

It's not my usual drink, but I do buy Mount Gay Extra Old whenever I see it. It's fantastic.

For years I drank Myer's dark. For the last 10 it's been primarily Gosling's Black Seal--great taste and cheap! Cruzan is nice and I went through a bottle of Appleton's awfully fast last year. Had a bottle of Anejo that was pretty smooth. I drink rum with an ice cube. If a spirit needs something else to be drinkable, I probably should not drink it.

Looks like two of the BoB's will be drinking together, in states that look the same, several hundred miles apart... Sailor Jerry it is...

Is spiced rum good in coke?

Never tried it with coke, but it could probably work.
I like mine with a couple cubes of ice and a bit of water. 50/50 rum & water, stir the cubes in till it's chilled and sip away.
drunken_smilie.png

puros_bran":n2nxgb8y said:
Looks like two of the BoB's will be drinking together, in states that look the same, several hundred miles apart... Sailor Jerry it is...

Go to sailorjerry.com & check out the recipes there,
with coke: 1 part Sailor Jerry + 2 parts Coke

EJinVA":7yf1hp9w said:
puros_bran":7yf1hp9w said:

Go to sailorjerry.com & check out the recipes there,
with coke: 1 part Sailor Jerry + 2 parts Coke
don't forget the squeeze of lime
Sailor Jerry's is my favorite spiced rum
Goslings black seal is my favorite Dark

puros_bran":he0eh4jb said:

Captain Morgan and Coke with Lime in a pint glass.
In my avatar, I have that very drink sitting on the table next to me. :drunken:

puros_bran":p2tlwjge said:
Dover for 100 bucks it better sex me up, clean my house and wash my dirty bloomers while I sleep it off, and have me some aspirin and sausage bisquits waiting for when I get up...
Because if I come home on a $100 drunk I'm not going to have a wife to do the rest of that stuff.

Here ya go... http://www.boozebasher.com/2009-07-07/rum/liquor-review-sailor-jerry-spiced-navy-rum/ ... And if ya like it as much as he did ya still have $75 to buy sex and $5 to buy some aspirin and a bisquit... Good deal lucille.
Sounds like a party to me......
What's the address???? :p

I've done about 40+ years of research and travel throughout the Caribbean and Central America, and everyone produces rum, and it's all good! I've never seen 10% of what's out there in any U.S. liquor store. My all-time favorite was from Guyana, called Five Star, cost about 85 cents a quart back in the early 90s.

Natch

I have been on a rum kick all summer drinking Mohitos. I stumbled into the spiced rums looking for variety and found Sailor Jerry's and a very interesting new dark spiced rum called Kraken which was mighty good. I like Sailor Jerry's but it has too much vanilla for my taste. The Kraken is ink black and quite flavorful. I've had it on the rocks but I had made some "dirty" Mohitos and fell in love.

I cheat and make up a mint infused simple syrup for my mohitos to save the muddling of the lime, fresh mint and sugar. I do 1/1 sugar and water bring to boil, turn off heat and add chopped mint and allow to steep until cool, strain, then refridgerate. For use w/ the Kraken I sub. dark brown sugar mmm :cyclops:

Tall glass w/ ice-build
1 shot lime juice
1.5 shot mint syrup
2 shot rum
top w/ club soda
stir/shake
garnish w/ fresh mint leaves
:pirat: