Rum anyone?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I go on vacation in the British Virgin Islands, my coveted Pina Colada is made with various rums and usually the same mix ( Island Oasis ) and it's hard to beat Meyers Original Dark Rum. :bounce:

Kraken is a good rum and along the same lines as Cpt Morgan and Sailor Jerry.
For pure sipping rum, I tried a bottle of Zaya Gran Reserva (12 year old) and was very impressed how smooth it is (and easy on the wallet) - about $25-$30 per bottle

My liquor choices depend on the season and climate. For the temperate zone of the northern hemisphere, August through December is when I drink rum.

I don't know if I have an all-time favorite, but like Natch, one of the best rums I ever had was from Guyana. In this case, it was a brand called Lemon Hart. Other brands that have done well by me are Pyrat and Gosling. For flavored rums, I go with Admiral Nelson over Malibu or Captain Morgan, and it's usually cheaper than either of them. Finally, I picked up a halfway-decent dark rum from India called Old Monk back in early spring, and made it through the bottle while watching the matches of the Cricket World Cup.

For the record, someone who prefers the drier rums is probably not going to get a lot of satisfaction from my selections.

I was never much or a rummy until somebody gave me a glass of Pyrat XO Reserve Rum. I just didn't know Rum could get that good. Fruity, Complex, Smooth, Sophisticated. YUM!!!

I like rum a lot. The best I've ever had was Havana Club. I don't think you can get it in this country, but if you can get it... you won't be disappointed. I recommend the 7yrs. or 15yrs. if you ever get the opportunity. Good stuff!
Milan

I've never been a big fan of rum. Admittedly I haven't tried many, but what I have tried tasted horrible in my opinion, which is probably why it's always mixed with a bunch of fruity sugary crap, so you don't actually taste the liquor much. Maybe I need to give some better stuff a chance, I dono.

If I'm drinkin' rum, I'm either on vacation in some exotic beach locale (which is just about never); or I've had a bad day, decided to say efff it and write the rest of the day off too. In that case I don't bother screwin around and just grab the 151 from the cabinet, a coke from the fridge and tell my wife to go warn the neighbors to lock their doors and board up their windows :lol: :affraid:

I did once do a few shots of some sort of coconut flavored rum junk at a concert. We were on the second floor balcony. I won't go into detail, but I will say that the people that were standing on the ground floor underneath us regretted me doing shots of that crap even more than I did. :no: :pale:

Kraken & Coke for me tonight. With a little lime.

Sailor Jerry's was the only rum I had purchased in the past 4 years (I don't buy rum very often) until I picked up this Kraken... So far, it's damn good and slightly stronger than SJs.

I agree with Frost about needing to try some higher quality Rum. It's just not a spirit I have ever felt the need to "explore"

Milan":8apo6dp7 said:
I like rum a lot. The best I've ever had was Havana Club. I don't think you can get it in this country, but if you can get it... you won't be disappointed. I recommend the 7yrs. or 15yrs. if you ever get the opportunity. Good stuff!
Milan
The situation is similar to cigars. In the US, Bacardi sells a Puerto Rican rum under the name Havana Club, because the Cuban version is unavailable.

I've always loved Mount Gay Eclipse, although the name can get looks at the bar when you order it. :D

As for mixes...............ice with a little bit of ice. I've never understood mixing things like Coke with a quality spirit. If it's a quality spirit then I like to taste it, not the corn syrup bubbly stuff many people dilute it with.

I don't know rum from Shinola. Bourbon and beer's my thing. What's a good rum for making hot buttered rum? I've never had that either, but the description of it sounds good on a chilly winter day.

I've been drinking Cruzan's Black Strap for a couple of months. It's pretty good stuff, maybe a little sweeter than some, but really nice late in the evening when I'm reading.

My Favorite mix is 1 part Sailor Jerry, 2 parts coke, 2 lime wedges and 2 drops of bitters.

BigBehr":z0hj64jt said:
My Favorite mix is 1 part Sailor Jerry, 2 parts coke, 2 lime wedges and 2 drops of bitters.
Sounds good...
Angostura bitters?

Does anyone have a definitive answer to which country makes the best rum? In the US, most rum on the store shelves comes from Puerto Rico, though I've heard the rest of the world considers Venezuelan the best. Of course, I heard that from a Venezuelan, so it might have been a biased opinion.

Can't say I've had any Venezuelan rum myself, but Ron Zapaca in Guatemala makes some of my favorite rum. It's been a while since I've had it, as I recall it's not cheap, but it's well worth the price

George Kaplan":4dp8f9mx said:
Does anyone have a definitive answer to which country makes the best rum? In the US, most rum on the store shelves comes from Puerto Rico, though I've heard the rest of the world considers Venezuelan the best. Of course, I heard that from a Venezuelan, so it might have been a biased opinion.
I would have to agree. My favorite rum hands down would be Cacique 500. But its not that easy to get, or cheap.