Rum anyone?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cacique! Thank you. I couldn't remember the name, but that's what my friend in Caracas used to send me. That was good stuff. I haven't seen it in years, but US/Venezuelan relations were much better in the 90s than they are now.

BigBehr":nkedynqp said:
Has anyone tried Kraken? let me know what you think...
Kraken was good, but much darker and heavy than I was used to. Some licorice notes in that one. I prefer Captain Morgan's Private Stock.

90% of my rum experience consists of a 50/50 mix of Parrot Bay and Mountain Dew (in retrospect, pretty awful...but at the time it was just what the doctor ordered to get through those 3 hour undergrad evening classes!).

I'm pretty much a craft beer and Irish whiskey guy these days, but I do keep a bottle of Appleton's on hand. It's pretty popular among my friends and family, and I don't have any real complaints, either.

I'm probably going to embarrass myself here but... I drink rhum Pecoul. Not to drink rum, but to, well, drink. :lol: I've found it a very handy drink when hiking/camping because there's no extra water to carry around. And well, I guess the pleasant associations to campfire and the smell of a forest have just stuck. It's the cheap pantyhose of alcohol for me - always does it's job, although nothing spectacular.... except spectacularly reliable!

I have long hair always pulled back with a buckskin tie, I'm missing my left eye and when I'm at work I wear an eye patch.....OF course I LOVE ME SOME RUM. As of late I have been Drinking Kracken Rum... It is quite smooth... a good sipper.

I love rum. I don't drink much else. I have, ah, a source who keeps me well supplied with 7 year old Havana Club. That stuff is grand, in a Cuba Libre (with a squeeze of lime) or with a splash of pinaeapple juice. I also like to mix a Papa Doble with some 3 year old Havana Club blanco.

When I can't get that, Sailor Jerry or Myer's are my choice. If you can find it, try Myer's Legend 10 year old. Its friggin' delicious...!

DogfishHead Brewery makes a small batch Brown Wild Flower Honey Rum that is sublime. It can be difficult to find, but when I do, I leave the store shelf barren. Preferred straight up in a double-old fashioned glass.

Yep - my own its way good - legal here in New Zealand :cheers:
Hate coruba and capt morgan - too poor to buy any flasher stuff

My favorite rum of all time is Gosling's, but I have drank more than my fair share of Myer's and Pusser's. Old New Orleans Rum makes an amazing Cajun Spice Rum, it's by far the best spice rum I've ever had.

Captain Morgan Private Stock "Makes me a jolly good fellow". :D :D :lol:

While on a trip to the Dominican I visited the Brugal distillery in Puerto Plata and brought back a couple bottles of Brugal Extra Viejo, along with some hand-rolled Dominican cigars. Served both up to one of my fellow Scotch drinkers; he loved the cigar but was not a fan of the rum. Me, I enjoyed both, and still like a nip of the rum from time to time.

Being mostly a single malt sipper, I was looking for a change of pace and while at the Chicago pipe show the Wednesday Cigar Festivities were being held. There were many distillers of fine sipping rums available to sample and I was hooked. I have found several sipping rums that are delicious and presently I'm enjoying some Ron Zacapa 23 year old that is amazing. Usually enjoyed with a cigar but tonite it's a bowl of Wilderness along with Zacapa and it's total enjoyment. The experimentation goes on!!
:D

Puros_bran said:
“As you may have guessed I'm an Appleton fan boy”

Wonderful stuff...use to make a pina colada with Appleton. Filled the straw with Appleton Dark as a shooter to kick it off. Yes it did.

Anybody remember Bacardi Anejo Especial Methuselum? Really old...could get it in Havana at a restaurant still in existence ...can't think of the name, had a butter dish from there..got it New Years Eve when Castro was just entering Havana city with his troops (could hear the bombs going off).

pepesdad1":c221skc0 said:
Anybody remember Bacardi Anejo Especial Methuselum? Really old...could get it in Havana at a restaurant still in existence ...can't think of the name, had a butter dish from there..got it New Years Eve when Castro was just entering Havana city with his troops (could hear the bombs going off).
Now you have piqued my interest. I've never heard of that Rum before from Bacardi, and if you were in Cuba on New Year's eve when Castro was coming into power you probably have a few years on me as well. Those were the good old days for sure.
I have a bottle of Matusalem Gran Reserve 15 Solera that is amazing stuff. Distilled in the Dominican Republic from the Cuban formula. You were fortunate to taste the real stuff. This Matusalem is one of the best I've ever tasted. IMO, (and it's all personal preference just like tobacco), this tastes as good if not better than the Zacapa 23 y.o. Solera at half the price.

We are now experiencing the nice hot weather where I can enjoy a cigar or pipe with some nice old rum and it's a treat.

:D :D

Those were the good old days in Havana, you were either extremely wealthy as in opulent wealth, or extremely poor (campesinos). Those were the days when Meyer Lansky pretty much ran the American side while Batista tried to run the Cuban "affairs"...made for interesting times....and parties that would make todays' celebrities blush.

Matusalem Gran Reserve 15 Solera...probably similar to Bacardis' and it probably was called Matusalem as you indicated...meaning really, really, old reserve stuff.

I’d suggest Plantation Pineapple Rum (which, inexplicitly, does not taste of pineapple), or, for a spiced rum, Siesta Key.