Ruminating on Kaywoodie pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
I've owned Kaywoodie pipes over the years and truth be told I found they gurgled, smoked wet and needed constant attention to keep the stinger, shank and stem constantly clean, then either due to poor fitting of the female screw in portion on the stummel end or bad glue when you go to screw the stem back on you don't a properly aligned stem. I know these are quibbles and can be dealt with but I imagine that more pipers gave up on trying to smoke a pipe due to some of these issues.

It wasn't until I got my All Briar Kaywoodie that I found out how well one could smoke, I don't know if the stem being briar and those additional holes at the bit end helped errant saliva from entering the stem but all I know was it was very enjoyable. The next Kaywoodie to surprise me is this metal shank with a nice cross grained bowl with birdseye, having some Wessex Brown Virginia Flake keeping ahead of the weather. Keep it smokey!
banjo

15315f455eec2bd845ce2d6690d28183afbe29d.jpeg

I read somewhere that Kaywoodie pipes were made from briar that was at least 100 years old until sometime around 1952. Old properly cured briar makes your tobacco taste better. I have three, two were made in the 1930's and the other one was made in the 1940's. All three are exceptional smokers with the original stingers still intact. If I remember correctly I paid less that $35. for each of them and I wouldn't sell them for 3 times their cost. :)

AJ

Do yourself a favor and get some of the modern handmade "XL" pipes. They all smoke like machines and a VERY reasonable. Here we are smoking three "Kaywoodie Handmades" at a recent meeting of the "HUDSON VALLEY PIPE CLUB".  (L-R Dennis McMahon, Me, and the one and only, Bill Feuerbach / Owner S.M. Frank Co. aka "Kaywoodie")Bill goes by the forum handle "KWGuy", send him a message and I'm sure he would be very happy to make something to your liking and tastes......

DoverPipes":48c0qwkq said:
Do yourself a favor and get some of the modern handmade "XL" pipes. They all smoke like machines and a VERY reasonable. Here we are smoking three "Kaywoodie Handmades" at a recent meeting of the "HUDSON VALLEY PIPE CLUB".  (L-R Dennis McMahon, Me, and the one and only, Bill Feuerbach / Owner S.M. Frank Co. aka "Kaywoodie")Bill goes by the forum handle "KWGuy", send him a message and I'm sure he would be very happy to make something to your liking and tastes......

That's as happy as a group of pipe enthusiasts as I've ever seen! Thanks for posting.

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR