Rush Limbaugh

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Moments ago, I put my granddaughter down for a nap and just booted up my computer to see that Rush Limbaugh had succumbed to lung cancer. He and I crossed paths in Pittsburgh in 1973-1974. For a very short period we were at the same station. I understood from others that his family was very prominent and not happy that he was working as a disc jockey. I know he was using the last name Christy, but I can't remember if it was Jim, Jack, etc. For radio, in those days, his voice was a little too high pitched to be really successful. Personally, I thought he was a bit strange, but then, I was close to thirty, married, college graduate, and a Vietnam veteran and he was five or six years younger, not much post high school education, minimal radio experience and had avoided military service. If I recall correctly, and maybe a BoB in the Pittsburgh area in his 70s may remember this, but Rush reportedly was arrested for allegedly soliciting a male plainclothes officer for an activity one would seem unlikely for a man who later was married several times. Immediately after that incident, management filled his air shift with another disc jockey.

Last edited:
Obviously did not know him personally, only his on air personality. However, he always seemed to have a lot of common sense and a way of distilling the media swirl down to simple logic. I was very distressed and disheartened to see some of the really vile comments on facebook regarding his passing. To say that one is glad a person has died is just hateful and mean spirited. I have gone to funerals where no one really liked the deceased, but they still show respect for the dead. I believe he deserves the same consideration.

Politics completely aside, the man made million$. First and foremost, he was an entertainer. As a young disc jockey, he was marginal, but he sought an unfilled niche in the broadcast world and filled it. In pro wrestling there's the lingo known as the kayfabe. It's the storyline to sell to the rubes. There are the faces and the heels. Limbaugh, as he matured as a radio entertainer, perfected the ability to be both face and heel while still selling the story line. If there is anything about his legacy that I personally find objectionable, it was that he could be disingenuous to a fault.

I listened to him on and off for years. I thought every once in a while he made a valid point.

This has been non-political thus far. Good! Let’s keep it that way.
I think it has been non-political.
Since I wrote the first post, I read several news clips about Limbaugh's passing. My memory was only half bad, but my spelling was horses***. Jeff Christie, not Jim Christy was Limbaugh's air name. I had to laugh at one news article that said Limbaugh's voice was born for radio. Limbaugh's voice, as a political commentator, was not the same voice that he had as a young DJ. Like a great singer, he worked on his instrument, so it fit the opera he performed.

Last edited:
Yeah...I think it has too. It’s been about the man, not the political arena or position, etc. I’m always concerned with threads about people or things that are known representatives of a specific political position...if nothing else because of the potential for escalating things. But, you know, if things do go South we’ll just delete the offending comments and lock the thread. We’d rather not of course. But you gotta do what you gotta do...etc.

My post was not about his political leanings one way or another. Some agreed with his positions, others not. I just found it disheartening that some people vilified him even in death in the most vile way. Wasn't political, just an observation of current propensities on social media which are sometimes quite disgusting. Rant off. Back to pipes and tobacco.