RYO and MYO

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
After a conversation with Timbo on a different thread I thought it best to begin a Roll Your Own and Make Your Own thread over here.

Whether you use a little pack of Rizla papers and a pouch of Bugler baccy to RYO..or a state of the art electric tube stuffer and the latest, greatest Daughters and Ryan tobaccos...the result is that you're smoking finely cut tobacco in a paper tube. A blend that is bland and weak in a pipe takes on a totally different character in a tube. I gar-on-tee.

So I'm carting over a couple of posts and will be adding more.

Keep reading.

Timbo asked if I was joking (re MYO)...

No joke. I use a Powermatic 2+ machine. Rambak, Vera Cruz, Beretta or Zen filtered tubes and so far either Stokkebye Turkish, Danish or Amsterdam dual purpose cut tobacco or one of the awesome blends made by Daughters & Ryan. The tobaccos taste totally different in a paper tube than a briar, and even tastes really different in different tubes. I don't inhale. The machine produces "mini pipe tobacco cigars" that are literally factory quality. It's awesome.

Scroll down to see some D&R blends...

http://www.ryomagazine.com/tobacco.htm

The machine...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Powermatic-2-II-Electric-Cigarette-Injector-Machine-MAKE-KING-100-MM-/322162518304

Some tubes...

http://www.rollyourown.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=365_13

Tim asked if a power or manual roller was better...

Okay. Electric vs manual. Mind you, I'm paraphrasing about twenty web pages and reviews I've pored over. I've only ever had the little plastic doohickeys that actually roll pretty well with the typical papers, etc. and my present machine...but everyone sez that as far as the end product goes...a good machine is a good machine. Manual works just fine. The electric Powermatic 2+ is just the best and easiest and most durable power system. Re durable we're talking ten thousand smokes...that kind of durable. Significant.

For manual there are a couple of highly regarded machines that always come up. One is the Powermatic Mini.

https://www.amazon.com/Powermatic-Mini-Cigarette-Injector/dp/B00IPJXDL6

The other, more famous, is the Top-O-Magic T2...the battle tank of the rolling game.

https://www.amazon.com/Top-O-Matic-T2MAC-T2-Cigarette-Machine/dp/B002SR9PPY/ref=sr_1_12_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1494076215&sr=1-12&keywords=cigarette+rolling+machine

However you roll, the most important thing is the tobacco blend and the paper tubes. Which tube you use can totally change the nature of the smoke...just like a pipe.

So there.

PS: do a uTube search on this stuff. Lots of vids on the machines, if you can stand to watch the idiots doing the movies. Not an encouraging lot. lol

Thanks for the new thread and all the information Blackhorse. Will have to get some shag cut and play around. What a good TAD excuse :D

Cheers 

Tim

Thanks for the offer mate but I've still several hundred papers around from when I used to roll coffin nails. Will get myself one of the small hand rollers and start from there. 

Thanks for sparking some ideas. 

Cheers 

Tim

Since D&R Picayune was unfortunately discontinued, and since I only have a few ounces remaining, I thought I'd start rolling little cigars with it more than piping it. Didn't have any papers though. Like I assume most do, I go for the cheapest, decent quality paper. I'm not paying $3/24 leaves. You know. I was dreading smoking the equivalent of writing paper because they don't make papers like they once did, so I thought I'd give hemp a try for the first time. I ran into Moon hemp gold papers for $.87/50 leaves on ebay. Disclosure: they are made in China, and they're unbleached brownish, not white. I was more than pleasantly surprised. Possibly the best paper I've had since the old Club glueless squares.

Since D&R Picayune was unfortunately discontinued, and since I only have a few ounces remaining, I thought I'd start rolling little cigars with it more than piping it. Didn't have any papers though. Like I assume most do, I go for the cheapest, decent quality paper. I'm not paying $3/24 leaves. You know. I was dreading smoking the equivalent of writing paper because they don't make papers like they once did, so I thought I'd give hemp a try for the first time. I ran into Moon hemp gold papers for $.87/50 leaves on ebay. Disclosure: they are made in China, and they're unbleached brownish, not white. I was more than pleasantly surprised. Possibly the best paper I've had since the old Club glueless squares.
No old issues of the Manchester Guardian on hand?

Used to; ain't done it in years. I had one of those hand roller thingies but mostly it was a pack of papers and a pouch of something or other. It used to raise some eyebrows back in the 60's, that's for sure! Prolly not looking to start again...

Ok some feedback finally,

After lots of trial and error, I've found shag cut works well for rolling when relatively wet. Though I leave the rollie to dry out further after rolling it. Chunkier pipe tobacco can roll well when dried out almost completely, however you do run the risk of peircing the paper if the baccy is too sharp or smoking dust if you handle it too much.

One or two holes in the paper is fine to smoke but more than that I tend to add another paper to cover the holes. And yes the tobacco used tastes completely different to when it is smoked in a pipe. I find it a very narrow profile compared to the pipe with a few bass notes coming through. I've only tried English blends as rollies, no VaPers or others. But that has given me the thought to try some kentucky leaf as a rollie....

I'd love if Spector cigars where still around as I'd really like to try a pipe blend in a cigar, espescially their Latakia cigars.

This Low Grade Unsorted Leaf @$7.99 / lb. piques my curiosity, I've read that a pound of tobacco should make about two cartons of cigarettes.
Currently in MN:

"Average Retail Price Each Per Pack of Cigarettes(Taxes Included) $9.41"

I haven't smoked a cigarette in 43 years and won't start.
47 cents per cigarette vs. 4 cents.

In 1963, the average price in the U.S. for a pack of cigarettes, including tax was $.45; adjusted for today's inflation about $2.50 a pack.

Last edited:
Yesterday, the St. Paul City Council discussed a price floor of $10.00 for any pack of cigarettes sold in the city. According to a local TV station, popular brands already average $9.47 per pack. Once RYO becomes more popular, I predict huge price hikes locally on all tobacco.