Sad news (From NASPC)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
This was posted to the NASPC Facebook page earlier this morning.

The following is an article from the December Newsletter. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Bill and Pam Unger.

LETTER TO THE MEMBERSHIP
By Bill Unger

This isn't easy, but, as the cliché goes, it is what it is. In late April, shortly after my 70th birthday, I was diagnosed with Myelodysplastic Syndrome/Refractory Anemia with Excess Blasts and began a course of regular blood transfusions for l
ow hemoglobin and chemotherapy for the blood cancer. Unfortunately, the chemotherapy did not work, and, in late October, a bone marrow biopsy revealed that the blood disorder had progressed to acute leukemia.
After serious thought, I have opted not to undergo the aggressive chemotherapy that would entail a month of hospitalization and severe, potentially life-threatening side effects only to prolong my life by at most 6 months. My loving wife Pam and I will continue, as we have, to enjoy one day at a time, with supportive blood transfusions as needed. Barring a miracle (which of course I would never bar!), I have less than a year left. Pam and I will make the most of whatever time I have left. I know that I can count on the positive thoughts and prayers of the entire NASPC membership.
Now, what about the future of NASPC? John, our president, and Jeff and Eddie, our printers (and so much more!) are committed to the continuation of our show, especially after one of our most-successful events ever, and of the Pipe Collector. Immediately following the mailing of this issue, Jeff will replace me on the NASPC board and assume the duties of secretary/treasurer, while Eddie, with Jeff's help, will assume the editorship of the Pipe Collector. I think that this transition can work very well and can prove that, although NASPC depended on me to a large extent, it can and will continue very well without me.
It all depends on you, the members. First of all, renew your membership now without delay (and, as one of our members suggested, why not round up?) Second, keep writing those good articles for the Pipe Collector. Do that, and everything should be fine for something that is unique in the pipe world, so unique that it would be a shame to lose it.
I want to thank all of you for your friendship over the years and for your support in helping NASPC and the Pipe Collector grow not only in size but in quality.
Elsewhere in this issue, you will find an article explaining the various changes that will need to occur to ensure a smooth transition. Please make careful note of them.
Really, really, sad news. Thoughts and prayers to Bill and his family.

That is awful news. I just rec'd, but have not yet opened my Dec newsletter, but noted it from someone other than Bill. I never met Bill; but we chatted by phone and email. My thoughts and prayers will be with Bill and his wife.

Becoming a member of the NASPC is the best $10 or so that I spend each year. Sign up if you are not yet a member.

I too just received my copy of the December newsletter but have not yet looked at it.

This is sad news indeed.