Sad Sad Day

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry for You and your Dad's loss. Just reading all these posts/condolences is tough bringing back all the old Friends' memories. There's one thing that can be said about our treasured pets, and it's that their love for us is unconditional. Sometimes I wonder why the life expectancy of a pet is not equal to that of Man. It's unfair.
What a great tribute, having a bowl of Man's Best Friend in remembrance.

The only way I can stomach knowing that my 3 y/o cat is going to age and die, and that I will have to witness that, is to appreciate her while she is young. Pets are so very worth the pain and financial cost of vet care; in fact, they have a value that humans in their relationships can't equal; calmly and quietly loving us, day in and out.

This tough old cop cried like a child every time I had a pet put down. My condolences to you and your dad. maybe this will help:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....  

Author unknown...

Thank You Everyone your kind thoughts and words mean more than you can imagine.

It's good that you could do this for your father. The only time I ever saw my dad tear up was when talking about his last dog that died.

Labs are awesome friends.

I actually took my cat to the vet. And spent money to get her well. Most money I have ever spent on an animal, $110. I must be getting soft. Chloe is an awesome cat though. Sometimes the only thing on Earth that gives a crap that I exist. Sympathy and empathy from a cat is rare. I return the love. :)

It does suck when she catches a roach and proudly puts it on my chest when I'm asleep.

My prayers are with you and your dad. Family is family - 2 or 4 legged - it's one of the hardest things to do.

It is amazing how much a part of us our pets become. I've bawled like a baby every time I've had to put a pet down. I cried a bit reading the OP. Also, there's a writing called "Rainbow Bridge" about losing our friends and being put back with them some day that I can't make it through without tears.

Oh darling, that is sad. I'm so sorry to hear it. Please accept my condolences on the loss of a cherished family member. I often times think it's harder to grieve for a pet. No human walking this earth is as loyal and understanding as a dog.

pepesdad1":knit5du9 said:
It is a sad thing for sure....they own a part of our hearts....we cry for them...and for us.  The loss is sometimes...unbearable.

Seeing how animals and dogs in particular are treated in other parts of the world (as well as our own back yard), we can only rejoice that we did the best we could for our friend..our heart.

You...and your father will always have that hole in your heart...but the memories will be worth it.
Summed up nicely and truer words were never spoken. My pal was 14 when he died August 19, 2004. I still and always will miss him but it gets easier with time.

Someday your dad and yourself will be able to laugh at the funny things Raven did and smile when you remember all that love he gave.
I hope that time comes sooner than later.

Truly mans best friend. My Great Dane, Big Sam was only 7 when he passed away from a heart condition. I watched as he lie on his favorite bed in our living room and took his last breath. 180lbs of unconditional love and unwavering friendship was gone. I have lost loved ones before but when its truly your best friend that leaves it takes a little more time to get over. I still get choked up thinking of Big Sam. I like to think all our pals are up there in that big dog park in the sky.