Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earl

Reaction score
As I've mentioned here before I am far too inept to offer a true review. However, wanted to offer my effusive endorsement of this sublime tobacco. Had never tried it before & just got my first order of it, stoking it up. Before this tobac, I'd been wholly unimpressed with any Viriginia-only blends. Seemed bland, grassy, lacking richness and depth. But this stuff is fantastic-smooth, rich, and full with no tongue bite. So wonderful, had to ask myself how this is a "virginia?" :face: :D Well Virgie, you're my baby now. Earl

This tobacco is the one by which all other Virginias are measured in my opinion.
Just look at the reviews at TobaccoReviews,I would guess there are more tins of this aging out there in peoples cellars than anyother. :) :) :)

Winslow

FVF, one of my all time favorite tobaccos. I've got 10 tins in the cellar for future enjoyment. This one is not to be missed...

Dan

Hello folks,
I agree with this thread that Sam Gawith full Virginia Flake is fabulous, although I cut it 50-50 with Sam Gawith Best Brown and the strength and fullness is one of my favorites. I also buy it bulk pound size and age it for a long time. Rich flavor, medium strength, incredible taste that is a treat.
:D

moring all i just smoke my first bowl of SG FVF and i love this stuff ill have to buy a few pounds and let it get some age on it

FVF is a great tobacco I keep a pound around all the time
another good one is Peter STokkeby Luxery Navy Flake it has a little perique in it and it is also tasty

Owing to the glowing reports of this tobacco and to further my education, I ordered several tins. Any particular style of pipe for flake?

Mark, I've only tried it in a few pipes so far-a group 4-5 and a magnum, humungo poker. It seemed that more richness unfolded in the giant I smoked it in. Enjoy. Earl

I just bought a tin of FVF and I was surprised to see it came in little sliced cakes. Being a new smoker, how should I break apart the tobacco? Cut it up? Pick it apart into individual leaf shreds? Is there any issue with storing it if I want to pre-separate the tobacco for a quick smoke?

Thanks.

Jason":i7sfkt7e said:
I just bought a tin of FVF and I was surprised to see it came in little sliced cakes. Being a new smoker, how should I break apart the tobacco? Cut it up? Pick it apart into individual leaf shreds? Is there any issue with storing it if I want to pre-separate the tobacco for a quick smoke?

Thanks.
I usually rub out flakes so they resemble standard ribbon or shag cut then fill as you normally would. Others use a fold and stuff method like described here:
http://www.mac-baren.com/TopMenu/Expert-Knowledge/Flake-Tobacco/How-to-fill-a-pipe.aspx
There are a couple more methods people use as well. Seems everyone has an approach to smoking flake tobacco. :lol:

I recently acquired a tin that was first bought in early 2006.
Should I open it now or let it wait a little longer?

You should send it to me,,I'll eliminate the temptation for you,,,, :darklord: :gatewheel: :pipe:

You don't have to shred the flakes up. There are many methods, as mentioned, of smoking flake tobacco, each with pros and cons. With FVF in particular breaking it up might be a good place to start as it will probably help it dry out faster (that's my big issue with FVF), though smoking in bigger pieces has its own rewards.

As far as the 2006 tin... well, why not smoke it now? The blend is still being produced. Will it get better if you age it? Probably, but you don't even know if you like it! Open it and smoke it. If you like, buy a few tins and cellar them. You're only giving up a 2 year head start by diving in. Or you can buy a new tin and smoke it, and decide if that 2006 tin is worth cellaring.

And, in case you don't like it, add my name to the list of folks happy to take it off your hands :)

-Andrew

This blend is so well thought of, that I broke my rule of not buying more than one of something I haven’t tried. I have five tins of FVF (worst case I could trade it). Everyone says it needs some age so I didn’t plan to open one for a couple of years. I was glad to grab a tin that already had a couple of years on it. I guess I’ll open it soon.

A bit late for an update on the message Jason, but my method of using flake tobacco is to rub it out fully for an indoor smoke and leave it just broken a bit for outdoor smoking. With a bit of a breeze outdoors it won't burn as hot and will save your briar preventing a burn out.
Hope you're enjoying the tobac.
AC