Sam Gawith virginias

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
What's the difference between Full Virginia Flake and Best Brown Flake?

BBF reminds me of new-mown hay. Light, grassy, sweetish and citrus-y.

FVF is dark and rich & mellow.

:face:

I've got a jar of both on the go now,

When I first tried each a few years ago, I loved Best Brown but couldn't see what all the fuss was about with FVF...

Ordered more and let it sit... with some aging FVF seemed to come alive for me and I enjoy it as much as BB.

Meanwhile, I tried some Medium VF which is not flake, and loved it so much I smoke 4 oz in no time...

disclaimer... my tastebuds are not that sensitive

PB,

I've only smoked FVF and in my opinion it should not be overlooked, just amazing.

Reading the sites, the process is the same to produce both, only the leaf used is different. FVF is Virginia, of course. I always thought to Best Brown as a Virginia. But the the descriptions say it is, or was, hand stripped, flue-cured Zimbabwe leaf. What the heck does that really mean I wonder? A Virginia variety or a burley variety?

It's good stuff! :D

P,

As long as were talking about S/G you should also try St. James Flake, just real good stuff.

FVF to me is indeed rich, without a hint of sweetness while BBF also has some richness but also some sweetness, (haven't found it particularly "haylike"). Lately I've found myself favoring BBF as I find I prefer the sweeter taste, but they're so close in my preferential scheme that that can change by the day. earl

I've smoked St James and Best Brown.... I have a few tins of FVF, just never bothered to open it.

Nahh.. not yet.

If its a deeper less sweet version of Best Brown I'll just let them set a few years.. no sense rushing into something half cocked.

The only Gawith I've tried was their Medium Virginia Flake and it absolutely bored me to tears.

I'm pretty sure BBF has burley in it. Something like 4%, IIRC.

I prefer BBF to FVF. When I want somber, I go with the scented Lake District flakes like Kendal Flake or Rum Flake.

Buddy

The FVF has a richer taste and more of a nicotine kick than the BBF. Both are fine smokes as is Kendal Cream if you like a little more sweetness.

Mike B