Same Blend, Different Packaging

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sometimes wonder about that qhen I read reviews of the same tobacco on different sites. Are the reviews on the seller sites always legitimate? Ex. Read a review on TR.com then a review of the same blend on P&C or smoking pipes with significant variance. I know personal tastes vary greatly, that's why I seek guidance from folks on BoB whose tastes seem to meld with mine. Or reviews on TR.com from guys I recognize like Jiminks or Blackhorse.

It use to drive me crazy because a lot of the tobacco shops in the Phoenix area would give their own names to bulk blends from Lane, Stokkebye etc. and then try and tell you it was their own blend. One shop I knew had the "secret" list from another shop in case people would come in looking for "Joe's" shop blend xyz.

Any time my wife sees a tobacco shop and decides to go get me a couple of ounces of something as a treat, they want to sell her the house relabeled 1Q. Sometimes they even ask if she knows what I usually smoke. She will say she knows I like Old Joe Krantz and Old Dark Fired. They then say, "Oh great, he will love this!" and sell her 1Q. She is onto their ways and sniffs the jars now.

Any time my wife sees a tobacco shop and decides to go get me a couple of ounces of something as a treat, they want to sell her the house relabeled 1Q. Sometimes they even ask if she knows what I usually smoke. She will say she knows I like Old Joe Krantz and Old Dark Fired. They then say, "Oh great, he will love this!" and sell her 1Q. She is onto their ways and sniffs the jars now.
You're a lucky guy. My wife would never buy tobacco for me. She thinks I have too much now, lol. And if she did it would be something she thinks smells good, which means I would wind up with some goopy gloppy cherry blend. So I'll stick with getting my own.

Back in the "old days," the Tinder Box had wonderful tobaccos all lined up in their many jars for you to smell and sample!! Later, I discovered that these were not "hand-blended by little elves in the back room!" There were two large tobacco companies (one started with an "S," the other was Consolidated, IIRC.). I believe Sutliffe bought them both; but I honestly don't remember! Any remembrances on these two??? FTRPLT

You're a lucky guy. My wife would never buy tobacco for me. She thinks I have too much now, lol. And if she did it would be something she thinks smells good, which means I would wind up with some goopy gloppy cherry blend. So I'll stick with getting my own.

Eh - my wife is clergy also. We have an unusual awareness of the various issues in relationships and the behaviors out there "in the wild." In the great scheme of things, pipe smoking is a very minor blip on the radar, and it means there is always a wish list at SmokingPipes if she needs a Christmas present.

There is only one blend ever she said she was calling in all her markers. She was going to ask me not to smoke it again. It was Molto Dolce - no kidding. I said, "Of course," but I asked her why. She said she it was just creepy. It was like she was kissing another woman's husband. I dumped the bowl and refilled with OJK. She said, "That is so much better... "

Eh - my wife is clergy also. We have an unusual awareness of the various issues in relationships and the behaviors out there "in the wild." In the great scheme of things, pipe smoking is a very minor blip on the radar, and it means there is always a wish list at SmokingPipes if she needs a Christmas present.

There is only one blend ever she said she was calling in all her markers. She was going to ask me not to smoke it again. It was Molto Dolce - no kidding. I said, "Of course," but I asked her why. She said she it was just creepy. It was like she was kissing another woman's husband. I dumped the bowl and refilled with OJK. She said, "That is so much better... "
That is funny. Wonder what about the Molto Dolce reminded her of someone elses husband???

Back in the "old days," the Tinder Box had wonderful tobaccos all lined up in their many jars for you to smell and sample!! Later, I discovered that these were not "hand-blended by little elves in the back room!" There were two large tobacco companies (one started with an "S," the other was Consolidated, IIRC.). I believe Sutliffe bought them both; but I honestly don't remember! Any remembrances on these two??? FTRPLT
Actually, most Tinderbox blends are either Lane or Stokkebye blends. I've been told this by two different Tinderbox owners, and having tried a great mnay of their blends, I can't recall any of them being made by another company.

Jim, yep, you're correct!! Got TBox and JRCigar mixed up!! JR's loose pipe tobacco came from Consolidated and that "S" company. I still have a bit of "Heavy English" from those days. I believe Sutliffe has that one now! The old TBox "Philosopher" was one of my favorites!!! I wonder what that was originally???? FTRPLT

I think JimInks is 100% honorable and fully accepts the fact that some people will disagree with a review. I do think that some people may think that because Jim has reviewed so many blends that they think it would be fun to test him and send him a blend to review that he's given a prior review, but to send it as a "different" blend. Very childish, but there are people like that in all walks of life.

I must have reviewed Lane 1Q twenty times under different names. Same for some other blends by them. There are other companies who repackage as well..
Aha! No conspiracy theory, after all!

photo0jpg.jpg