same pipe , different tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklabel

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, I couldn't find it , so i'd thought of starting a new topic. If I only have one pipe , should I only smoke one type of tobacco in it , or is it either aromatic or natural ( choose one) and buy a different pipe for the other. :scratch:
An example would be; smoke vanilla, honey, caramel aromatics in ABC pipe
and natural tobacco in CDE pipe.

I group my pipes to the type of tobacco. Roughly speaking, one group for virginias and another for English/Balkan. Within each group, I have certain pipes dedicated to certain tobaccos to keep the flavors intact. Of course, then there's the good ol' cobs - great for trying new tobaccos (no residual flavor ghosts) - and for those times when a good burley in a cob hits the spot.

Cobs are also good for those new to the game - they're cheap enough to have a few around...........

Cheers!

I've never really gone in for the dedicating of pipes to a certain tobacco. The caveat though is that I'd never smoke an aromatic in a pipe that I smoke VA's or english blends in. Aromatic blends WILL taint the taste of natural tobaccos. For the most part I smoke one blend exclusively so I may not be the right person to really answer this question correctly anyway :lol:

I would suggest you get a couple of more pipes to give your primary pipe a chance to really rest and fully dry out.

If money is an issue head down to your local drugstore and buy a few corn cobs. This should help you establish a decent rotation til' you can buy a few more briars.

I would also suggest checking Frenchy's Pipes out! :cheers:

Sticking to 'blend families' per pipe can be a good idea long term if you have enough to rotate as such. I keep more-or-less separate groups for VAs, VA-PERS, Oriental Blends, English Mixtures, Balkans, and Burley-based blends (not aromatics however, which I do not smoke).

I have found that Latakia is often the key problem in the ghosting of a pipe. Therefore, when I want to move a pipe from one family dedication to another, I keep this model in mind:

VAs / VA-PERS > Oriental Blends > English Mixtures > Balkans

It can go either direction, but you cannot jump around.

For example, moving a pipe from a Balkan to, say, a VA-PER is not the best idea in terms of ghosting issues. If I have, for example, a pipe which I have run a few ounces of Pirate Kake through and then switch it over to, say, Old Gowrie, then I get a latakia-VA blend for quite some time. I would rather taste the VA, which is ostensibly why I opened up this hypothetical tin of OG in the first place. However, if I am to move the same pipe from say, Pirate Kake to Peterson's Old Dublin, the ghosting will be much less apparent. So too in the other direction. I can always move another pipe, say one I have been smoking EMP in, to the OG.

My two cents.