Samuel Gawith/Gawith Hoggarth Merge!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbtdmb

Reaction score
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/gawiths-one-big-happy-family-again-after-150-years-merger-confirmed/

Wow this is really big news! Apparently, Samuel Gawith tobaccos will now be made at the Gawith and Hoggarth Factory. Bob Gregory will still oversee the production of the Samuel Gawith line of tobaccos, they will still be made the same exact way, and both Samuel Gawith and G&H tobaccos will still be made separately.

One interesting tidbit from the article is that there was never actually any feud between the original Gawith brothers as is commonly thought. Apparently, one wanted to concentrate on making snuff and the other wanted to focus on solely pipe tobacco. It was actually an amicable parting of company, not a bitter feud that spanned nearly 2 centuries.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Personally, I think it is really neat and hopefully both companies will at least collaborate on a few blends. As long as my precious Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake is kept far away from the Lakeland toppings, I'll be ok lol!

-Scott

Provided the products remain the same this has to be a positive move, eh Scotty? I've grown rather fond of Sammy G's baccy, most especially the flakes so would be saddened if there was any change. I'm hoping that, being under the same roof, there'll be an element of synergy that both companies will benefit from?

As long as the quality of BBF and FVF remain the same, I can probably live with any other ripples in the pond.

As an inveterate disliker of change, this makes me (irrationally?) anxious. The SG and GH lines are not interchangeable; each house has a distinctive style. I'm a GH partisan (though there are some SG blends I like very well). I hope that the two lines do not become homogenized as a result of this merger. From the article, it sounds as if the two firms are aware of the need to maintain their identities through use of existing staff and machinery. So as I said, my unease may be totally irrational.

I'm glad to see that SG's Kendal Brown House will be converted into a snuff museum. It would really be a shame for a building with so much tobacco history to be lost.

If Bracken flake starts showing up again I'll consider it a success.

:idea:

That's right.............now where did I stash all that Bracken Flake.........................hmmmm...............................................................

I agree that these two are distinctly different companies. One point I'll make is that as much as I adore G&H's baccy's, I taste a bit of the floral notes from their scented products in practically everything they produce, even products that are specifically labelled unscented. That said, I don't think that they are terribly discerning in their production practices and probably don't worry too much about keeping the aromatics isolated in production.  Question is - Can G&H keep the SG stuff distinctly SG, and G&H distinctly G&H? The moment I taste au'de Ennerdale in my FVF or 1792 in my Bosun Cut Plug I'll be through with the house of Gawith.

Otherwise I hope their business arrangement keeps them competitive and most important, in business and successful.

fsu92john":6ofxj9fx said:
As an inveterate disliker of change, this makes me (irrationally?) anxious. The SG and GH lines are not interchangeable; each house has a distinctive style. I'm a GH partisan (though there are some SG blends I like very well). I hope that the two lines do not become homogenized as a result of this merger. From the article, it sounds as if the two firms are aware of the need to maintain their identities through use of existing staff and machinery. So as I said, my unease may be totally irrational.

I'm glad to see that SG's Kendal Brown House will be converted into a snuff museum. It would really be a shame for a building with so much tobacco history to be lost.
So you don't like to have consistency in your life ? The only thing in life that's constant is CHANGE :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Echoing what others have said, my only concern is that main SG lines such as FVF, BBF, and others that are not scented don't start to pick up the dreaded "L" character. D&B has observed that GH seems to have a carryover of their scented lines into their non-scented. That's been my experience as well.

Time will tell I guess.

Cheers,

RR

Devils Advocate- Would Samuel Gawith need to maintain their brown and black ropes? GH&Co. make a brown and black rope and many more versions. The people I've asked about which brown rope they buy and why seem to purchase the SG rope if they primarily shop SG and the Gawith rope if they primarily shop Gawith. Not really because they found either one inferior. It would seem to me that if we lost anything from the SG line these might be the least lamented. Thoughts?

juanmedusa":pmgcfpu8 said:
Devils Advocate-  Would Samuel Gawith need to maintain their brown and black ropes? GH&Co. make a brown and black rope and many more versions. The people I've asked about which brown rope they buy and why seem to purchase the SG rope if they primarily shop SG and the Gawith rope if they primarily shop Gawith. Not really because they found either one inferior. It would seem to me that if we lost anything from the SG line these might be the least lamented. Thoughts?
I would not be surprised to find some sort of blend/mixture/type consolidation as time moves on with one brand have x types available and the other no longer having them offered. Remember, these are two VERY small niche market ( pipe tobacco) producers tyring to meet a world wide demand and some economy moves of product will need be made in the future !! I would guess that it will be an economic neccessity :twisted: :twisted:

I'm Really glad that SG is moving to G&H and not the other way around!!

Bugsahearn":a2crf0jl said:
I'm Really glad that SG is moving to G&H and not the other way around!!

My thoughts exactly.. I could live with The SG blends I like picking up the terroir of the GH&co facility, I would be saddened if the GH&co blends lost it.

The two companies merging doesn't bother me. Just as long as they are vigilant in keeping their product lines as is. I'm definitely more the SG type, I'm not sure I even have any GH&Co 'baccy on the shelves. Whoops, wrong...Bob's Chocolate Flake!! :cheers: FTRPLT

I hope they realise that if they change FVF then this site and many others will go into complete meltdown.
On their heads be it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

alandadp":8wpa6emx said:
I hope they realise that if they change FVF then this site and many others will go into complete meltdown.
If that happens, I'll just cherish what I have left even more, & then eventually smoke something else. Oh yeah, I'll also sell a few tins on eBay for $5,000 a piece. :p

alandadp":7yw91cky said:
If THAT happens then there reaslly wasn't much depth in the members here !! :twisted: :twisted: Onward Thru the Fog !! :twisted: