Samuel Gawith/Gawith Hoggarth Merge!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to post an interesting tidbit that I learned today from talking with Steve Fallon (the pipestud). I noticed that he had some Gawith & Hoggarth Louisiana Flake on his site for sale and in the description he wrote that the blend was no longer being produced. This was news to me, so I emailed him to inquire further.

Basically, a reliable source told Steve that Gawith & Hoggarth will soon be discontinuing some of their blends due to the factory merger with Samuel Gawith. There will simply not be enough room to produce the blends, so some will be discontinued. Oddly enough, Louisiana Flake is being discontinued because Gawith & Hoggarth can no longer find a source of perique that they deem high enough quality for the blend.

This is certainly startling news indeed! I'm not trying to cause mass panic here, but simply wanted to relay this news. Hopefully, Gawith & Hoggarth will release a statement at some point, listing the specific tobaccos that they will be discontinuing. Until then, it appears that all of their blends (including Louisiana Flake) are still readily available on most online sites.

Finally, while Steve didn't mention Samuel Gawith, one can only wonder if they will follow suit and also cut some blends from their production line. I can't help but wonder if they will cut St. James Flake from their line, since it also contains perique. Perhaps they are satisfied with the quality of perique they are using unlike Gawith & Hoggarth, but one wonders....

-Scott

Goddamn it just when I was starting to like samuel gawith. Louisiana Flake is one of my absolute favorites

scottbtdmb":i1rhmlsv said:
I wanted to post an interesting tidbit that I learned today from talking with Steve Fallon (the pipestud).  I noticed that he had some Gawith & Hoggarth Louisiana Flake on his site for sale and in the description he wrote that the blend was no longer being produced.  This was news to me, so I emailed him to inquire further.

Basically, a reliable source told Steve that Gawith & Hoggarth will soon be discontinuing some of their blends due to the factory merger with Samuel Gawith.  There will simply not be enough room to produce the blends, so some will be discontinued.  Oddly enough, Louisiana Flake is being discontinued because Gawith & Hoggarth can no longer find a source of perique that they deem high enough quality for the blend.

This is certainly startling news indeed!  I'm not trying to cause mass panic here, but simply wanted to relay this news.  Hopefully, Gawith & Hoggarth will release a statement at some point, listing the specific tobaccos that they will be discontinuing.  Until then, it appears that all of their blends (including Louisiana Flake) are still readily available on most online sites.  

Finally, while Steve didn't mention Samuel Gawith, one can only wonder if they will follow suit and also cut some blends from their production line.  I can't help but wonder if they will cut St. James Flake from their line, since it also contains perique.  Perhaps they are satisfied with the quality of perique they are using unlike Gawith & Hoggarth, but one wonders....

-Scott
This just proves the old adage " the only constant in the world is CHANGE" :twisted: And we ALL want consistancy in our lives, right ?? :twisted: :twisted:

I kinda forgot about this thread. I will try to remember to take a pick of what I have left in Bracken Flake.

How that came about was, again sort of a rumor that Bracken Flake was tough to get etc etc. So I called one of our favorite suppliers and asked for the poop. The whole poop and nothing but the poop. She told me that the distributor wasn't bringing it in any more. That can change at a moments whim. So I asked her to let me know what kind of inventory they could scrape up and I would see about buying what I can. She called me back, "30 tins". Sold I says.

I will say this. Things change. We all know that. Get it while you can. But there is always something new coming out.

I sure hope in this merger they fired the guy at Samuel Gawith that was cutting up the rope into the blends. I am a little sick of smoking that hemp or whatever it is they use. More sick of trying to pick it out of my tobacco. At first I thought it was hairs. But it's a reddish brown. I thought, did someone toss a fox skin in the 'baccy? But I have since gotten some nice tuffs of the stuff, and it's a rope.