Samuel gawith tobacco let export continental Europe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Link

BREXIT | Samuel-Gawith no longer delivers to the EU​

BY ALEXANDER BROY · PUBLISHED JANUARY 29, 2021 · UPDATED JANUARY 29, 2021
The news wasn't that surprising, but it did happen:

Samuel Gawith will no longer supply continental Europe for the foreseeable future.

As we learned from the normally well-informed circles, Samuel Gawith/Gawith Hoggarth & Co Ltd. has decided not to deliver to the EU until further notice. Pfeifen-Huber in Munich was able to stock up on tobacco from the British manufacturer at Kohlhase & Kopp, then it was over, as the importer confirmed. When asked whether the popular tobaccos from the Lakelands would ever be here again, the answer was very vague: "... Possibly at some point, but then very, very much more expensive".

One could have used the endless lines of trucks during customs clearance in the EU to let the tobacco age.
3 months in a semi-trailer would certainly have been an enormous gain in taste nuances.

In any case, I suggest you empty your basement to fill with Samuel Gawith tins as soon as possible, because now is the time to bunker, hoard and hoard.

The whole Brexit thing is a complicated mess!! This situation is an unforeseen (at least for me) fallout. I need to talk with my English family a bit more about all this. The Covid business has somewhat overshadowed our last few chats. Thanks, Gus, for the information!! FTRPLT

Have never tried their tobaccos. Are they really that good to justify hoarding? Just asking.
Their base tobaccos (at least the ones I smoke) are excellent, but the toppings/flavors aren't for everyone. Hoarding? Nope, and while their more unflavored offerings would likely age well, the Lakelands, Rum Flake, etc. are less likely to retain their flavors.

Their base tobaccos (at least the ones I smoke) are excellent, but the toppings/flavors aren't for everyone. Hoarding? Nope, and while their more unflavored offerings would likely age well, the Lakelands, Rum Flake, etc. are less likely to retain their flavors.
Any suggestions on which to try?

Any suggestions on which to try?
What do you like? When a seller is well supplied (not the current case) GH offers nearly everything, from American-style Cavendish based blends through VA-Bur flakes, many with botanical toppings (ranging from the typical vanilla through almond, spices, and rose/geranium), to strong black ropes to brown ropes with even more N. For me, Smoking Pipes and Mars Cigars usually have the best selection (when available)

What do you like? When a seller is well supplied (not the current case) GH offers nearly everything, from American-style Cavendish based blends through VA-Bur flakes, many with botanical toppings (ranging from the typical vanilla through almond, spices, and rose/geranium), to strong black ropes to brown ropes with even more N. For me, Smoking Pipes and Mars Cigars usually have the best selection (when available)
My tastes are quite eclectic. Seems to depend more on the specific tobacco than the genre. I love good Balkan/ english as I like Lat and orientals but also like some aros and good burley blends like CH and SWR. Recently been on a country squire binge. Also tried a couple of flakes I like such as PS LNF. Don't like goopy aros but tobacco forward like Rivendell are good. Been reading about Lakeland blends. Don't think I would like "soapy" blends but realize that is a personal thing. And I will try anything once, short of suicide, lol.

My tastes are quite eclectic. Seems to depend more on the specific tobacco than the genre. I love good Balkan/ english as I like Lat and orientals but also like some aros and good burley blends like CH and SWR. Recently been on a country squire binge. Also tried a couple of flakes I like such as PS LNF. Don't like goopy aros but tobacco forward like Rivendell are good. Been reading about Lakeland blends. Don't think I would like "soapy" blends but realize that is a personal thing. And I will try anything once, short of suicide, lol.
Samuel Gawith

with latakia and orientals
Squadron Leader
Skiff Mixture
Balkan Flake

VA
FVF
St James Flake
BBF

Gawith and Hoggart

Browwn Twist
Louissian Flake
Brown Flake

this is only my personal taste

Squadron Leader, Skiff Mixture, Balkan Flake are excellent English/Balkan blends and none have what's often been called the "urinal cake" essence.
Every time I've purchased these blends in boxes, not tins, I've had to rehydrate them. I have two several year old boxes of Skiff Mixture which upon arrival I double wrapped in plastic wrap over the cellophane wrap, hoping to avoid the drying. Some day, I may open one, maybe...LOL

Samuel Gawith

with latakia and orientals
Squadron Leader
Skiff Mixture
Balkan Flake

VA
FVF
St James Flake
BBF

Gawith and Hoggart

Browwn Twist
Louissian Flake
Brown Flake

this is only my personal taste
With GH Brown Flake, make certain you order the unscented. GHs Balkan Mixture a bit of a pine/menthol effect (at least for me). GHs Rum Flake is good but some find it too sweet.

The blends I like are Perfection (Virginia/Latakia/Turkish), Skiff Mixture (Virginia/Latakia), Squadron Leader (English), Saint James Flake (Virginia/Perique) and Westmoreland Mixture (Virginia/Latakia/Cavendish).
Thanks Mike. I think I have an unopened tin of squadron leader. Will have to look for it in the stash.