Samuel Gawith XX Twist

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

behindbars1544

Reaction score
Well I had ordered a few Samuel Gawith blends last week and UPS was scheduled to deliver them last Friday but thanks to Mother Nature and her delivery of about 15 inches of snow over the weekend my delivery was delayed until today (Monday). They finally came and I waited all day, pipe ready & waiting, to try my first sample of a SG blend. I ordered a tin of each of the following:
Celtic Talisman
Firedance Flake
Kendal Cream Flake and….
Black XX Twist.
For some reason I feel the first 3 will be pleasant smokes however the Black XX had peaked my interest since I first read it’s description so it was the first blend to be fired up. From the reviews I’ve read on tobacco review this blend seems to be one of those love it or hate blends. I’ll be honest, I’m not going to give a full review as of yet because I’m only about 5 minutes into my trial but I’ll express my first impression. Upon opening the tin I noticed a very earthy smell, not unpleasant, just very noticeable and yes it does look like a dog turd! I did notice a high moisture level and I will admit I’m fighting with it to stay lit. In fact I’m letting it dry out while I type this post. I can say this about it; this blend is NOT for the beginner. It does have a kick and you have to baby it to truly enjoy it. Having smoked pipes and cigars since I was 18 I’m handling it well but I’d imagine I’ll be wide awake for the next few hours.

The Black XX is one of my favorite 'sometimes' blends.

I think the processing of the tobacco prevents it from drying out to awful much, at least if left in rope form.

The moisture is almost a defense built in for the smoker. Unless dried out quite a bit the tobacco must be constantly relit, slowing down the intake.
Dry it out to the point where it will burn like a codger burley, I promise you it will be an experiance you never forget.... :D :D :D :D :D