Sasieni Fantail/Slendaline

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I don't think that price is out of line for a Grand Slam era pipe. I'd be a little nervous about buying from a Russian vendor, but the feedback is strong.
Let us know how she smokes (will you pull the stinger?).

riff raff":brabysog said:
I don't think that price is out of line for a Grand Slam era pipe.  I'd be a little nervous about buying from a Russian vendor, but the feedback is strong.  
Stinger? I did not notice a stinger and my Slendaline came without it too. But yes, I always get rid of stingers 'cause it's only a no good nuisance.

Yes, I agree it's a bit of a chance to buy from somewhere behind the iron curtain but I trust eBay to cover me. They did refund me for the Brebbia which I never received.

Btw, I've been looking/waiting for this pipe since 1983 when I lost my first one. Only 30 years :twisted: 

It's a nice looking pipe, and the seller did a fantastic job of restoring it.

DOH! Ignore that, I was looking at a Comoys Grand Slam that the seller had listed....

SpeedyPete":c4g26x2h said:
riff raff":c4g26x2h said:
I don't think that price is out of line for a Grand Slam era pipe.  I'd be a little nervous about buying from a Russian vendor, but the feedback is strong.  
Stinger?  I did not notice a stinger and my Slendaline came without it too.  But yes, I always get rid of stingers 'cause it's only a no good nuisance.

Yes, I agree it's a bit of a chance to buy from somewhere behind the iron curtain but I trust eBay to cover me.  They did refund me for the Brebbia which I never received.

Btw, I've been looking/waiting for this pipe since 1983 when I lost my first one.  Only 30 years :twisted: 

I prefer to buy pipes on the cheap. It's been somewhat of a game I've been playing for the last two or three months but if there is one that I really want I'll pay whatever it takes to get it with no regrets. You've wanted a pipe like that one for 30 years. In my opinion it doesn't matter how much you paid for it. It's yours and that's all that matters. I hope it turns out to be the best pipe you have ever owned. Enjoy and forget the price. BTW I think you got a good deal. :) 

AJ

Thank you, my brothers, for your kind words :D :lol: 

I bought my first Sasieni Slendaline in 1978.  At that stage it was my only pipe and I knew very little about pipes. My life at that stage was in quite a tormoil as far as work, marriage etc concerned.  I used to sit in my back garden, smoking this pipe, thinking about how unfair life can be.

Then things changed to the positive side and I was fairly happy again.  I smoked my Slendaline more often and added a couple of Sashars as well.  But the Slendaline remained my favourite.

In 1983 I got a job in Cape Town which I've been wishing for for a long time. On my way to my new venue, I lost the Slendaline.

Since then I've been looking for a similar pipe. But in vain. Either they were scarce or so much loved that nobody wanted to part with them. New ones were not available anymore. I've written to a lot of eBay vendors, asking them to please let me know when they come across one of these pipes. I've repeated this quest a number of time, without any luck.

Then on Monday, I searched eBay again for said pipe.  And there it was!!!  I could not believe my luck and made my offer straight away. The vendor is quite new and from Russia as well but I decided to take a chance.  I just wanted that pipe!!!

Now I'm waiting and will go to the post office 3 times a day until I have that darling in my hand!!!:lol: 

And now I'm thinking, will I have the heart to smoke it?  It seems to be beautifully restored and maybe I should just keep it like that.  Or at least keep it until Christmas before I fired it up.  What will I load it with for the first smoke?  I think a nice Vaper will do it. If indeed I smoke it.

I'm like a kid before Christmas but I can't count the days because I don't know when it will arrive :bounce: :bounce:

SpeedyPete":ykl7d30m said:
If indeed I smoke it.
I say smoke it. Your memories of this pipe did not involve looking at it. I will counsel you to keep it out of rental cars perhaps, but people ignore my counsel all the time. It is an occupational hazard.

Fr_Tom":mkm4jpcc said:
SpeedyPete":mkm4jpcc said:
If indeed I smoke it.
I say smoke it. Your memories of this pipe did not involve looking at it. I will counsel you to keep it out of rental cars perhaps, but people ignore my counsel all the time. It is an occupational hazard.
:lol!: 

I thank you for the counselling, my dear brother. I promise you, I've taken it to heart. :D 

One thing is very sure, this pipe will NEVER EVER leave my house. Thirty years is a long time to search for something. I'm not going to risk losing it again.

So glad to hear of your good fortune in finding a long lost friend. Nothing better than that. Smoke it in good health and good memories. Fantail Sasieni pipes are not common IMO. I've only owned one in many years of collecting but it was a bulldog shape. :cheers: :cheers: 

The pipe was shipped on the 26th of September. It left the Russian post office on the 10th of October. Not bad al all??

I should have it in time for Christmas :cheers: 

So much for the Russian Postal Service, eh?
Hope you get the pipe soon, and long before Christmas.
Let us know when it finally arrives.
:shock: 

In Richmond, at the Baltimore club table, a member was selling a Fantail in excellent shape for $90. I mulled it over, but passed as I just don't care for straight pipes. That is definitely an elegant piece.

Great find Pieter!:cheers: :cheers: 

Looks like a great pipe and I can only imagine the satisfaction you achieved from the purchase.

Fraternally

Jers

Jers":ed0gvcbw said:
Great find Pieter!:cheers: :cheers: 

Looks like a great pipe and I can only imagine the satisfaction you achieved from the purchase.

Fraternally

Jers
Thank you, my brother. Funny thing is that I should find it in Russia of all places!

docwatson":9n05mux2 said:
So much for the Russian Postal Service, eh?
Hope you get the pipe soon, and long before Christmas.
Let us know when it finally arrives.
:shock: 
I thank you, will certainly let you know when it arrives. I guess it will take another 10 days or so.

riff raff":8xu3bx8n said:
In Richmond, at the Baltimore club table, a member was selling a Fantail in excellent shape for $90.  I mulled it over,  but passed as I just don't care for straight pipes.  That is definitely an elegant piece.
My first Slendaline/Fantail was one exceptionallly fine smoker. I'm aware of the fact that no 2 pipes are the same and that the "new" pipe might disappoint me as far as smoking is concerned. But I've owned a lot and still have a number of Sasieni made pipes. All of them were/are anything from very good to champion smokers. So I'm not really worried that I won't like it.

The main reason I wanted this pipe so badly is pure sentiment. I won't tire you with the whole history except to say that the first Slendaline was a crutch in bitter times! I was upset for weeks and months after I've lost it, 30 years ago. And I've sworn that some day, I will own a pipe like that again. Can't wait for it to arrive!

I'm a silly old man, not so? :oops: