Sav 320 issues

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajunpiper

Reaction score
So I have been smoking a pipe for a couple of years now. Last year around February I purchase a new sav 320 KS.
I love the pipe. It looks great, feels great in the hand but recently I have began to develops a problem with smoking it as follows.
whenever I smoke the pipe it just doesn’t taste right. I by no means consider myself to have a fully developed palate, but over the last several months I have begun to be able to pick out different tobaccos in a blend and start to really narrow down the types of blends I prefer. Whenever I smoke the 320 the tobaccos taste off, not bad per se but more like heavier and maybe somewhat muted. I have put the same blends in it and another pipe and smoked them at the same time. It is a night and day difference.
the pipe dose not smoke that much drier or wetter than any other of the pipes in my rotation( I have enough to rotate every 4 days). I have cleaned the pipe, sweetened using salt method, and scraped down what cake has built in it over the last year to start the pipe fresh with little to no change.
I have packed it extra loose/ extra tight with no effect. I have smoked with and without the filter, with and without the adapter still no difference.
I have dedicated it to VaPers to see if tobacco made a difference then switched to nothing but English’s all of this with no change in the off tasting effect. As I stated earlier it dosent taste bad just heavy and muted.
I love the pipe but hate the smoke any one have any suggestions or experience with this. Could it be a drilling issue?
Hate to sound dramatic but I literally have 2 $40!basket pipes I keep at the deer camp that seem to smoke better than this thing.

I have cleaned the pipe, sweetened using salt method, and scraped down what cake has built in it over the last year to start the pipe fresh with little to no change.
I have dedicated it to VaPers to see if tobacco made a difference then switched to nothing but English’s all of this with no change in the off tasting effect. As I stated earlier it dosent taste bad just heavy and muted.
If the pipe is completely clean, the inside of the shank transition from stem to bowl corners and no buildup in the mouthpiece where it exits and flares, I would smoke 10 bowls of Five Brothers or a Straight Virginia and see if the pipe would then smoke the blend you want. If the blend still does not have the flavor as it is supposed to, give it another salt treatment. I use Everclear (190 proof) and give it about 3 days to completely dry before removing salt and flushing the bowl with warm tap water to rinse salt out. Should smoke as new after that.

The inherent properties of the pipe; size, shape, briar, etc. may just impart a particular taste to the smoke. It could be a function of the short size and stubby shape.
1639076296537.png

Last edited:
I had a 320 too and I could never get a good smoke out of it no matter what I tried, ended up sending it to Jesse to resell.