Savinelli EX Pipes & Large Bowls

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decaf

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a Savinelli 320 EX on order, I've never seen one in person but I liked the looks online.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with EX size bowls. Any recommendations for tobaccos or techniques that work well with larger bowls?

Cheers!

decaf":inark20l said:
Hi, I've got a Savinelli 320 EX on order, I've never seen one in person but I liked the looks online.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with EX size bowls. Any recommendations for tobaccos or techniques that work well with larger bowls?

Cheers!
Tobacco wise, I find that loose cut (ready rubbed) tobacco smokes the best in large bowl pipes, at least in my experience anyway.

I have a Sav 315 EX. For me, it's a codger burley pipe... for a longer smoke, I enjoy something consistent and not too complex. Just a personal preference. I'd avoid flakes in such a large bowl. Haven't tried any special techniques for packing; the usual way works fine.

Agree with Doc...I'm a larger pipe kind of guy. Ribbon, shag, or cube-cut works well; maybe even well-rubbed out flake. But regular flakes do best, IMHO, in smaller-bowled pipes :pipe: FTRPLT

I have a Sav 320 EX, smokes great. I second the thoughts on loose cut tobacco; I tried flakes in it once....not good

Thanks gents. I've got half a can of Frog Morton that should do the trick. Cheers ~

I'm another big-bowl guy, but I don't really have a problem with most flakes. I think the fold-and-stuff method you can find on Mac Baren's website takes most of the frustration away if you are using a larger pipe for longer flake. (depends on the cut of the flake too - I don't find Sam Gawith flakes fold worth crap)

One of the things I like about deep bowls is that they offer some wind protection down at the bottom, and you are not, after all, forced to completely fill the bowl each and every time. I often smoke half bowls in my large pipes if I don't have 2 hours to sit with them.