Savinelli P-lip (dry system)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stogiegila

Reaction score
My favorite best smoking pipe to date is a Savinelli Dry System with a p-lip. Its a rusticated bent billard and smokes beautifully. Yes I use the balsa filters too.

I was thinking of picking up another one, but can't seem to find any. I saw one model but didn't care for it. I know Peterson makes P-lips, but for some reason I just don't care for them.

Did Savinelli stop producing the dry system pipes and does any other manufacturers make the p-lip design?

Thanks

They are fantastic pipes. I enjoy the p lip and also the Savinelli version, but the pipes themselves are fine smokers. I have a matched set of 2604s, one in the basic Dry System and the other a Punto Oro with a cumberland stem. I don't know about current production, but they show up on ebay frequently.

I have a couple of Savinelli dry system pipes with the P-lip. They are from the late 70's or early 80's, and they are both excellent smokers.

Hi I - agree Savinelli is tops! I own a few Pete's and got myself a Savinelli dry system (2614 bent rusticated) the other day! Man, Savinelli is just different and the smoke is just BETTER!!! Even with Irish Flake it just tastes better!!

Leatherlip":j0tso7hz said:
Hi I - agree Savinelli is tops! I own a few Pete's and got myself a Savinelli dry system (2614 bent rusticated) the other day! Man, Savinelli is just different and the smoke is just BETTER!!! Even with Irish Flake it just tastes better!!
I also enjoy my Savinelli Dry System very much. I actually LOVE it :cheers:

But, is this a real Savinelli? The p-lip is an exact copy of the Peterson. Many a guy has mistaken my Sav for a Pete at the club meetings.

The only Sav name on my pipe is on the metal part. It does not look like the familiar Savinelli print and there is no other Sav sign on my pipe.

I've been wondering about this for a long time already and was on my way to ask the question when I noticed this thread

Well mine definitely is stamped Savineli. There don't seem to be that popular of a line for them and the p-lip is slightly different than Peterson.

Mine is a rusticated bent billard, and I can't seem to find anything like it anymore which is a shame as it is my best smoker. :(

I occassionally see them on Ebay, but I haven't found one that I was attracted to yet.

Stogiegila":0wgksek4 said:
Well mine definitely is stamped Savineli..
Mine is also stamped SAVINELLI on the metal part. But not in the usual Savinelli script.

Otherwise there is no indication of a model number etc., and no logo.

But maybe I should not think about this anymore and just enjoy the pipe!! It is an extremely good smoker, so why worry?!!!

SpeedyPete":12hpxag3 said:
Stogiegila":12hpxag3 said:
Well mine definitely is stamped Savineli..
Mine is also stamped SAVINELLI on the metal part. But not in the usual Savinelli script.

Otherwise there is no indication of a model number etc., and no logo.

But maybe I should not think about this anymore and just enjoy the pipe!! It is an extremely good smoker, so why worry?!!!
From the pictures I've seen online, the rusticated ones don't seem to have any stamping on the stummel, but the smooth ones are stamped as usual. I've got a smooth 2320, like the one shown here (sorry, it's sold out) with the oval-shaped stamp shown on the left side and the Savinelli shield, "2320" and "Italy" on the right side of the shank. "Savinelli" is stamped on the left side of the band as well. You may notice a stylized "S" stamped in the top of the stem. They start out filled with white paint, but it often disappears later, leaving only the impression.

It does seem like they may be phasing these great pipes out, as the Savinelli website doesn't list them, nor are their unique shapes shown on any current shape charts I've found. A real shame, if so. I love mine.

Mine has and S on the top of te stem where it meets the shank. On the bottom it is stamped Savinelli dry system and the number 2101. This is a great pipe but I don't see them around anymore

I have a half dozen "dry system" peterson, savinelli and others. I can't complain about the smoke, certainly does seem to hold the moisture in the well pretty well, and you can easily dump it out if you remember to before it gets to the point you suck it up.

I just find them not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as normal pipes unfortunately. decisions decisions.

I agree they aren't the nicest looking but they get the job done. On the other hand I also like corn cons a whole lot :)

Thanks Osci,

I actually have one very similar to that only a smooth Trevi (I think that is what it is called). That one doesn't have the p-lip from what I can tell, one with the hole facing the roof of your mouth.