Savinelli Punto Oro natural coral finish

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"sam"

Reaction score
Do any of you own one of these? I saw one for a fairly good (but still expensive) price and am tempted...I don't like that it takes a filter, but not a huge deal as I do have a Sav with that type of stem. It would seemingly have the potential to be a truly fantastic smoker, I also think the natural/raw wood finish is cool. Any thoughts?

Well, if I didn't say so in that other thread, I absolutely love mine and it smokes like a dream. I have several Savinelli natural pipes but this is by far the highest grade. I've seen some that are waxed but mine is not. My other two are a Pigna and a rusticated Petite. There's a Linea Piu at a local b&m I fancy that is natural but I haven't made that purchase.......yet? :D

Being a Punto Oro, it is one step grade wise below it's highest grade of standard shapes, the Guibleo'd Oro, and as them it will be made from some nice perfect fill free old Sardinian briar. I have 5 Punto's and they are equal to ANY other high grade I have, !! You'll like it !! :twisted: :twisted:

The only punto I have is one of my best smokers; I'm definitely intrigued by the natural finish of this coral one.

I own several Punto Oros and they smoke as well as my Giubileo D' Oros. I've never owned a Savinelli that wasn't a fine smoker even the less expensive pipes like the Trevi. :)

AJ

The punto Oro is just below the giubleo D'Oro like Monbla says. And if you want to find a finer Savinelli than those you'll have to abandon the standard shapes. But thinking about it, I don't think I've seen a Giubleo D'Oro in virgin finishing. Definitely seen it in Artisan series and Linea Piu series which are freehands. Pigna, noce, seta, petite come in standard shape virgin but would rank below Punto. To me the Punto D'Oro Corallo is the cream of this niche crop. Unless there are some virgin autographs I haven't seen.

What shape is yours? Mines a 611 Ks. Vulcanite stem. And an incredible smoker too.

juanmedusa":uyiriuf8 said:
The punto Oro is just below the giubleo D'Oro like Monbla says. And if you want to find a finer Savinelli than those you'll have to abandon the standard shapes. But thinking about it, I don't think I've seen a Giubleo D'Oro in virgin finishing. Definitely seen it in Artisan series and Linea Piu series which are freehands. Pigna, noce, seta, petite come in standard shape virgin but would rank below Punto. To me the Punto D'Oro Corallo is the cream of this niche crop. Unless there are some virgin autographs I haven't seen.
If you are referring to a raw, unfinished finish as a "virgin" finish, you won't see a Gd'O or PO. other than the Corallo finish, with this type of finish. The light honey/golden finish many of the G'd O's come in is as close as you'll find. Personally I've never been a fan of "raw" pipes finish wise as they go through a period of several years of looking "dirty" before darkening to my eyes. I'll take the blasted finishes the Po's come in as my choice and is what all of mine are. The blasted G'd O's are in one of the nicest Shell finishes which out do what the White Spot pipes come in today !! :twisted:

Yes, I did mean raw wood. Which appeals to me. I do completely understand how they wouldn't float everyone's boat but I'm a sucker for them. Which is why I have one Punto and it's a Corallo. But in higher end prices I've satisfied my desire for them with that one. I've bought a Pigna and a Petite raw which are less expensive and have a Cassano and Nording raw which were even less expensive. My BoB Poty from Scottie is raw sandblasted and waxed. All of those together are likely the last raw pipes I'll have for a long time. If I were to get in the punto market again I'd go for a sandblast and if I could get in the Gd'O market I'd be after a smooth stained pipe.

juanmedusa":0ohh1lt8 said:
What shape is yours? Mines a 611 Ks. Vulcanite stem. And an incredible smoker too.
It's the 101, a chubby billiard. I'm rather boring in regards to pipe shapes, virtually all of my pipes are straight billiards. I believe they all have vulcanite stems, and although I usually prefer lucite, I will keep this one as-is unless it starts to distract me.

Just Google image searched "Savinelli 101 Corallo". Got quite a few pics in fact. Very nice, enjoy it.

I have two of them, and they are very nice smokers. I would definitely pick up another if I found one at a good price.