Savinelli Ultra Billiard

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Burley

Reaction score
Nah, I just made up the "Ultra" business; there is no Savinelli Ultra. Pretty pipe, though. I'd love to have it, except for the price. What I find interesting--and I'm sure I'm not the first to notice this--is that this premium pipe among others has neither a bowl coating nor a filter. Nor do Castellos. Draw conclusions as ye may.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=170832

Nice pipe, goofy price. Rather have a Sea Rock for 1/5th the coin anyhow. That's the only relation to Castello I see. :pirat:

One too many digits. Should read $148, not $1480. That's a problem for a company that sells 90% of it's pipes in the ~ $100 range, you see them try to sell one for 10 times that and the overwhelming reaction is "Oh hell no...".

My point was the absence of both a bowl coating and a filter on a pipe they consider something special. 99% of their $100 pipes have both. But I don't want to start anything. It's been discussed before.

Seems like a hell of a deal, though. They're knocking $370 off retail! I'd buy it in a heartbeat--right after having a lobotomy. You know what's cool? Smoking Pipes--or at least the writer--didn't describe it as a straight-grain.  8)

Yeah, Sav generally does not coat the bowls on Autographs, Giubileos, and I think Punto smooths. Maybe they are getting the message that not every pipe smoker wants filters too.

I forgot about the 300 dollars I'd be saving by buying this. That certainly makes it a lot more attractive.

The sad thing to me is that someone probably WILL buy this thing.

What I find interesting on their high end pipes is the inside of the bowls are finished. What is the point of that?

ak2000":bfbq6t31 said:
What I find interesting on their high end pipes is the inside of the bowls are finished. What is the point of that?
That was rather common back in the '70s, not so much now. I've had several like that, but I don't remember which ones--which shows how important it is, maybe. I'd say it adds to price justification and not much else--although being able to see the grain in the inside of the bowl could be desirable when scrutinizing a $2000 pipe before purchase.

Considering the prices the former Dunhill ( now called White Spot) charges the Guibleo is far better a pipe than ANY White Spot made today or any Dunhill from years past. They are probably the FINEST standard shapes pipe made! Ever ! :twisted: