Savinelli vs Stanwell

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Nate

Reaction score
I was looking at a couple estates and wanted to know what people think about Stanwell. I am either going to grab a Savinelli or Stanwell but have never owned a Stanwell. It's a Stanwell Colonial and a Savinelli Spring. I have several Savinelli pipes and think they're all great! But I kind of want to venture out but find myself being a little hesitant.

What do you guys think?

You aren't running any special risk by picking up an estate Stanwell. Some argue that they were the best mass produced pipe at one time. I have several and they are all good. The thing is, both companies make or made so many of so many different grades that you may end up comparing apples to oranges, so your question becomes moot. They're both good, so I say: do it.

lol I thought pretty much the same thing. About $70 sound about right? I was thinking that's not the best deal but not bad.

I wish I could snag both... I have been putting in the overtime ?

+1 on the Made in Denmark Stanwell estates. I've smoked a handful and restored many more. Build quality is very good and all of mine smoke like champs. No experience with the post-2010 Stanwells, so can't comment on current production.

I have a half doz of the older Stanwells "Made in Denmark" and they'e all well made, substantial, manly pipes. Your chacterization of the $70 price is right, I'd say, for an older Stan that has seen some care. But the older Savs, especially in the mid to higher grades, are fine, too. If I were in your shoes I might opt for the Stan, just to add a bit of variety to the hoard, er, herd. But really, either would probably make you happy.

Brewdude":njugdyoi said:
Can't go wrong with a Stanny if it's Denmark production.

Cheers,

RR
Yes! I own a couple of Denmark made Stanwells and they are excellent smokers.

I also own 20 Savinelli pipes :D Best in the West

Danish made Stanwells and Savinelli Punto Oros are both fine pipes. I had a Punto Oro, and the only reason the word "had" appears in that statement is that I have a specific collecting focus and there just wasn't room for me to keep it. It was a very nice pipe.

If it's a Danish made Stanwell, get it! As far as the Savineli, the Spring series are some of their better pipes, no fills and some nice grain with the Honey finish , and ANY Sav is worth getting so get it as well !! :twisted: :twisted:

Fight'n Hampsters":6cffbqio said:
may be a stupid q, but how do you tell if its danish?
It's "printed" on the pipe.

The Stanwell factory was moved to Italy a while ago.

monbla256":a6ruhkn4 said:
If it's a Danish made Stanwell, get it! As far as the Savineli, the Spring series are some of their better pipes, no fills and some nice grain with the Honey finish , and  ANY Sav is worth getting so get it as well !! :twisted: :twisted:
.....and ANY Sav is worth getting.....

I agree 100%, my brother.

I just LOVE my Savinelli pipes :bounce:

I love my Stanwells, so for me there is absolutely no question! :D

This is besides the point and rather useless information, but in the 90s, Stanwell and Brebbia were considered two of the greater values in pipes. The most pipe for your buck type thing.