Saw A Guy Today Whose Funeral I Attended

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I've known the guy for sixty plus years. I actually thought he'd been killed several years ago. He went rogue and began publishing a blog that was very critical of the wrong people; the kind of people who will get you silenced. Foolishly, he obviously thought the nom de plume and proxy servers he used kept his identity secret. When his blog ceased, I assumed that he'd been silenced and when his obituary and funeral announcement appeared in the Mpls. newspaper, I was pretty certain he was dead. Whatever was in his casket was heavy, as he was, so said the pallbearers. The last time I spoke with him, he was probably about 325 to 350 lbs.

Today, I was out in the burbs at a post office that has a self-service package mailing kiosk. As I left the building, to walk to my car, he came walking toward me. He was at least 150 lbs. lighter and clearly had some facial surgery done. His walk, gait, was unmistakable. As we approached one another, I walked past him and said the name his mother had called him. His reply, "keep walking," which I did, to my car.

Wonder if he was in witness protection???
I didn't think so, but maybe. He'd written about some political corruption that he knew about from the inside. From what I read, a lot of public money was diverted to private accounts. He'd been told, after the first disclosures, to stop publishing, but he continued and became very specific with names. While his blog was still active, he wrote that he was getting death threats. The blog stopped suddenly, then there was the fake obituary and burial. He must have had some level of government cooperation to pull off the fake funeral.

I asked around a bit. His early 90s mother is in a local nursing home. She was brought to a local hospital where he could clandestinely see her. I heard that he's in a program to protect "whistleblowers." I never heard such a thing ever existed.