Scary movies

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.L.Ruth

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to find a good scary movie/show. Like I've that would scare a grown adult.

I love scary movies and shows but I have not seen anything recently that had actually scared me, looking for any suggestions that are actually good scary shows

The foreboding, dark, well-acted, recent 2020 iteration of "The Grudge" is pretty eerie. It helps if you can watch the some of the earlier versions, of this Japanese ghost story, first. "The Grudge" 2004 version, with Bill Pullman/Sarah Gellar was also eerie, and will help explain the last version, although it's not necessary to watch past versions to enjoy the last. NETFLIX has produced a series, I think, 5-6 episodes of Ju-On/The Grudge, filmed in Japan?...that fleshes out the whole background to this spooky ghost story. All episodes are worth the time to view, if so inclined. A good binge-watch with a bowl of popcorn.

Yes, Japanese ghost movies are disturbing. But I think Korean flicks are their equal and more-so. Try the following films, universally acknowledged as the best...I listed the top five below in reverse order.

As always, I recommend Rotten Tomatoes as the best site to check out descriptions and such to judge whether or not to invest your tim

Gonjiam: the Haunted Asylum
The Host
Train to Busan
The Wailing
Seoul Station

Note: I’m typically surprised that so many movies in general that I didn’t think I’d like turn out to be favorites. I need to remember that it’s so often not the genre or subject or what it’s about...but how well it’s done that counts.

Yes, Japanese ghost movies are disturbing. But I think Korean flicks are their equal and more-so. Try the following films, universally acknowledged as the best...I listed the top five below in reverse order.

As always, I recommend Rotten Tomatoes as the best site to check out descriptions and such to judge whether or not to invest your tim

The Host
Train to Busan
The Wailing
Seoul Station

Note: I’m typically surprised that so many movies in general that I didn’t think I’d like turn out to be favorites. I need to remember that it’s so often not the genre or subject or what it’s about...but how well it’s done that counts.
Thanks for the added information. I added your suggestions to my list. When I was a young kid, once and a while I got the pleasure of watching some Mexican Horror movies on TV. Much more gory, graphic, and spooky than anything America had to offer in the '50s and '60s. I have never, ever seen them again.

Can't wait to watch the movies you listed. Although I'm a geezer, I still never lost my preference for horror movies. Most of today's crap is nothing more than 2 hour long video games, loaded with special effects, in place of genuine of thrills.

Gotta go....the popcorn is ready.

Yeah...I don’t like slasher movies (Halloween, Jason, et al) or the ones that look like they were shot with an iPhone of kids running around screaming in the woods (Blair Witch Project) or the ones shot like they’re a documentary (Cloverfield). I like characters and a plot.

If you like fun and a “detective/mystery” movie and haven’t seen KNIVES OUT yet...do so. It’s very worthwhile.

I definitely prefer the real horror instead of all the CGI stuff, and the first person point of view with handheld cameras just aren't for me. Every now and then I'll be in the mood for a good slasher flick.

The Exorcist or It are probably at the top of my list

From my 27 year old daughter who specializes in scary movies...

Hereditary

The Descent

You’re Next

It Follows
All very good ones. While not movies, The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor are two great ones on Netflix. I have one more episode of Bly Manor left.

The Host
Train to Busan
The Wailing
Seoul Station

+1 Train to Busan

Thanks for the added information. I added your suggestions to my list. When I was a young kid, once and a while I got the pleasure of watching some Mexican Horror movies on TV. Much more gory, graphic, and spooky than anything America had to offer in the '50s and '60s. I have never, ever seen them again.

Can't wait to watch the movies you listed. Although I'm a geezer, I still never lost my preference for horror movies. Most of today's crap is nothing more than 2 hour long video games, loaded with special effects, in place of genuine of thrills.

Gotta go....the popcorn is ready.
HELP! I looked for all those movies you listed on NETFLIX and could not find any of them. I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to TV alternatives, but where and how do I find these movies? Do I have to order them for a fee, or are they free?

I ate the popcorn without the Korean horror movies.

HELP! I looked for all those movies you listed on NETFLIX and could not find any of them. I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to TV alternatives, but where and how do I find these movies? Do I have to order them for a fee, or are they free?

I ate the popcorn without the Korean horror movies.
I just went to my netflix icon here on my iPad and used the search function...the little magnifying icon. By the time I had typed in “THE HAUNTING” the Bly Manor movie was showing up in the results lineup.

I just went to my netflix icon here on my iPad and used the search function...the little magnifying icon. By the time I had typed in “THE HAUNTING” the Bly Manor movie was showing up in the results lineup.
When I do a title search, it comes up on my NETFLIX...but when I click on the title, I get other selections that are "similar". Maybe, I'm doing something wrong. When I spell out the title, the NETFLIX selector seems to "guess" what I'm requesting, but I can't get the movie, when I click on the title. All the movies I get on NETFLIX are free. Do I have to order/pay for those movies?

Oh well....I'll ask someone younger and more savvy... and figure it out, somehow. To bad I don't live with a teen in my house. They'd know exactly what to do.