Scouting some old antique mall briars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to find some old briar pipes today, and found this one with a stamp on the metal band. Anyone recognize this? I couldn't find a name on the briar. The pipe below it is a Chacom. Thanks Swede
20220802_143816.jpg

FTRPLT, I hope it resolves and you can open later. It's on about a 1/2 wide silverish colored band and is an unequal quadrilateral (internet says a parallelogram) with the longest points going towards the bowl and bit then 3 small bumps at each end and 4 in the middle. I tried a Google image search, but no luck.

Last edited:
I've enhanced the picture and can't make out one word that precedes what looks like "old" then briar and on a line under that Itay.

If I had to guess it would be one of the big three in Italy being Savinelli, Lorenzo or Rossi. Out of them three I would go with Rossi. I say this because they have been in operation for so long and supplied pipes directly to tobacco shops that they offered discounts to. Here's the link for a good read on them. They reference Old Briar as a stamp in the section of dating their pipes. Very nice pipe find Swede.

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Rossi

If I had to guess it would be one of the big three in Italy being Savinelli, Lorenzo or Rossi. Out of them three I would go with Rossi. I say this because they have been in operation for so long and supplied pipes directly to tobacco shops that they offered discounts to. Here's the link for a good read on them. They reference Old Briar as a stamp in the section of dating their pipes. Very nice pipe find Swede.

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Rossi
Thanks Niblick, this may be an odd one, and appreciate the tip on Rossi. I'd like
to have an old Rossi. I've got to figure out the other word and maybe negotiate a price. It seems like it is a good make-looks well made with the wide marked band, etc., and I'm thinking the dots in the symbol may signify briar quality. I checked out that link, and dove into the site. It's an amazing wealth of knowledge, and I'm thankful people have worked to compile such information.