Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River review.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d4klutz

Reaction score
So, tonight I decided to grow a pair and retry a blend that was recommended on a youtube channel.  It can be purchased at P&C and is their own club blend "Mississippi River".  If I recall, it is Va mixed with latakia and perique.

I have to say, that when i opened the bag for the first time, i was very let down by the aroma of this tobacco.  It smelled, very bland to me, more like a chewing tobacco that had dried out and then someone tried to make it appealing by sticking it in a wood smoker overnight.  Not pleasant at all.  In fact, i almost didnt even try it the first time.  But, because i dont like wasting money or tobacco, i tried it in a brand new corncob pipe.   Ugh!  It tasted like the smell of dirty sweatsocks.  It was way too spicy and burned my mouth worse than 5 alarm chili.  So, i wrapped it back up in the ziplock it came in and put it aside for 2 weeks.

This leads me to tonight.  Im running low on my mild aromatic samplers, and wanted something different.  Brewdude had suggested sitting on this blend for a while, but i figured i would give it another try before i decided to either keep it or gift it.  Since it tasted no better than horse manure in a cob, i figured i would see if my churchwarden would do any better, as it encourages a slower draw and is a bit cooler smoke.

So, i packed my pipe while ignoring the stench flowing from the bag and then stepped out on the porch to give it a go.  It was probably a bit too moist as it was hard to get lit.  However, when i did get it lit, it burned cool.  It did require a few relights, but that's just me.  My first impressions were of black pepper and campfire smoke.  It was pleasantly cool temps of smoke, but did not produce copious amounts of smoke.  As i sipped on it and let the smoke cross my olfactory sensors and tongue, i realized that this is a spicy yet pleasant smoke.  It has a peppery bite/ mouthfeel, but not tongue bite.   As i smoked down the bowl, i could start to notice the campfire taste.   The room note was very pleasant, but definitely not like an aro.  My son, who doesn't normally like the smell of a pipe actually liked the smell of this one.  

In conclusion,  i will put some up in the cellar and see how it ages.  Also, i will probably only smoke it in my churchwarden.  It was definitely a surprise to me.  I am glad i gave it a second chance.  If you like latakias and periques, i think you will find this very enjoyable.

PS.  I am a new smoker, so my palate is not refined yet.  Forgive the rough review and please feel free to add to it if you have any other thoughts.

Good to hear you gave it another chance.

I have found that with a 'baccy that doesn't ring my bells right away, if I put it down and come back to it a bit later and in another pipe I get a whole different perspective.

:D 

Cheers,

RR

I enjoy a little Mississippi River now and then. It's nicely blended.

I also enjoy Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding occasionally, although it's more of a smoky Latakia treat.

Brewdude":zyzw56p1 said:
Good to hear you gave it another chance.

I have found that with a 'baccy that doesn't ring my bells right away, if I put it down and come back to it a bit later and in another pipe I get a whole different perspective.

:D 

Cheers,

RR
Good to see you posting, D4.  What Brewdude said...very true.

JP

Are you new to Latakia blends? Your post seems to indicate this. And if so, that is not a knock as folks that are not used to the smokiness of Lat-weed sometimes have an issue with it. It's kind of like getting used to the smokiness in smoked meats, fish, cheese, and so on.

Some like it and some don't. And somehow it grows on you. And then we all have a tolerance level for it as well.

Not to say one view is right or wrong, what's important is your enjoyment after all. We're all different in this regard and some here love Latakia and some disdain it. And others fall somewhere in between.

All I'm saying is that enjoyment of some 'baccys are a learned proposition. It may or may not work out for you in your journey right now. Equally, after some more experience with it you might find it to be a delight. Or not.

JMHO

Cheers,

RR

RR,

I am new to pipe smoking in general. I am trying to find a few blends that i really like smoking. I went to two tabaccanists today and browsed their very poor selections. One thing i noticed is that the lat blends are very off-puting when just smelled in their bulk containers. But, i had the same issue with the aros. The aros tend to be almost sickeningly sweet. I picked up an ounce of Crown Achievement (the old blend in bulk) and a tin of Drew Estate -Harvest on Hudson that is a blend of virginias, burley, and cavendish. I havent tried the crown achievement yet as it needs some hydrating, but the tin smokes really well, but is almost too aromatic. It is very fruity in the tin, but when smoked is fairly pleasant and more muted fruitiness. It wont be a mainstay in my rotation, but will be a fun smoke when i need something lighter than a lat blend like the Mississippi River. I will have to try it in a cob or other pipe than my churchwarden. So far, my favorites have been EA Careys Mystery and their Light Black Aromatic. Im currently out of both. Lol. Time to order more!

JP