Secret Santa 2013

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you boys.....I plan on making something er other ;)  and throwing in a few very very special things out of my cellar.

As a newb, I have limited amounts of stuff, but, I am certainly in for doing whatever I can for my recipient, even if it means buying from an etailer, so I don't really see it as a bad thing per se. Maybe I'm just a rogue? Or maybe I'm lame...

mejoshee":oqfukujo said:
Or maybe I'm lame...
No not at all - we all just do as we can. I think the excitement has just begun to reach contagion levels. :cheers: 

mejoshee":ri68y23f said:
As a newb, I have limited amounts of stuff, but, I am certainly in for doing whatever I can for my recipient, even if it means buying from an etailer, so I don't really see it as a bad thing per se. Maybe I'm just a rogue? Or maybe I'm lame...
You only have to meet the minimum requirements. Don't feel as if you must do more. Some of these guys are generous because they can be. And that is fine. And then sometimes, you get crocodile heads, or something else unique. Some of these guy have memories like elephants. If you posted years ago some place that you always wanted/needed some little thing. They will remember that. It's uncanny. :santa: 

Carlos":4pm7r1iq said:
mejoshee":4pm7r1iq said:
You only have to meet the minimum requirements.  Don't feel as if you must do more.  Some of these guys are generous because they can be.  And that is fine.  And then sometimes, you get crocodile heads, or something else unique.   :santa: 
And he ain't kidding, as I found out two years ago!

2012-x-1.jpg

(just in case anyone missed him back on the 1st page of the thread)

mejoshee":r2bjc20f said:
The key to this is to have fun. Whatever you are capable of is fine. I'm sure you've looked back at the previous years and seen the entertainment value we gather from being expectant children despite our semi-adult status. Enjoy the ride, Christmas comes but once a year. Myself, maybe I'll get to strike back at my last Santa.

Lesath":z1d7exkm said:
There will be tobacco related items, but I'm kind of on a similar arc to BH and Scotties.  The local flavors too.
I'm semi-prepared to go in any one of about four different directions, depending on who I draw -- no doubt it will be someone that pulls me in some new direction. The whole deal (as others have said) is to have fun! It's the one time a year some of us are nice!:face: 

Fun. Indeed! That's the thing. And COOKIES!

And please don't think I was saying that 'buying' is neither a good thing nor a proper direction. Some of us live in areas with highly recommended B&M outfits...like me. Here in little old Oregon City exists a true world class blender, Steve Books. Formerly of Rich's in Portland, now on his own in the House of Calabash he has a blending history that NO one in the industry can match. And his blends are both unique and succulent...and unfortunately, EXPENSIVE! But ya just never know what will find its way into Santa's sleigh. After all...it IS Christmas!

:santa: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: 

On, Donner and Dasher, and Prancer and Vixen,
on Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen...
and of course Rudolph.

I'm mostly excited to find out who my recipient is and get planning! I have a couple cool ideas too! :santa: 

So yeah, not really stressed about it or anything. Just trying to understand typical protocol.

As you were, BH :p

Blackhorse":gisb7o4h said:
. And COOKIES!
The last two members I sent COOKIES to developed issues shortly after they arrived.  One has since recovered, and the other mysteriously vanished.  Obviously, it has something to do with white chocolate macadamia nut ones, but I have concerns.  I might have to see if three is a charm.  Oh, BH, you missed supper.  Red carrots, potatoes, Crimini mushrooms, and garlic in a chicken cream sauce with a bit of Andouille sausage, with filet basted in an apple Basalmic/Zin reduction.

You guys in the states have the most wonderful Christmas Spirit, kinda makes me wish I lived over there with you guys so I could be a part of it all, well, the most I could offer would be a handmade pipe so probably wouldn't be enough any way so it's just as well I can't play really. Here's to wishing you all a wonderful time with this, you guys amaze me with your brotherly/sisterly love for one another, you guys are the best and I am honoured to be able to at least be on the same board as all of you, BRAVO. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

We are up to 33 players.

And yes, the tobacco Nazi's have made shipping to other countries difficult with the VAT which can be in some cases, many times the value of what was sent.

When the Bombers hit Greyson in the UK this year we restricted sendings to non-tobacco items...and/or guys ordered tobacco from etailers within the UK, paid the freight so to speak, and had it delivered within the country which allowed them to not inflict any fees, etc. onto the recipient. It seemed to work fine. But considerable time was spent in researching regs, etc. and very tight guidelines were published. The overriding goal was to avoid causing the target to have to pay any out of pocket fees to the evil taxman. So it CAN be done, if each and every participant on this side of the Atlantic follows the protocol closely. Just sayin'.

Carlos":81tac339 said:
And yes, the tobacco Nazi's have made shipping to other countries difficult with the VAT which can be in some cases, many times the value of what was sent.
"Dried English / Irish & Natural Herbal Teas" and / or "Hobby Supplies" :twisted:

Works for me!!!!

And if they open the box for inspection...and they open a high percentage, which is why it takes 2+ weeks average through customs...the person you're sending to is screwed. And YOU could be charged with mail fraud etc., etc., etc.

Blackhorse":r7appvtk said:
And if they open the box for inspection...and they open a high percentage, which is why it takes 2+ weeks average through customs...the person you're sending to is screwed. And YOU could be charged with mail fraud etc., etc., etc.
They've opened about 1 out of every 5 I've sent to a friend of mine in the UK over the last 10 years (no tobacco, usually American candy and non-gluten baking stuff she couldn't get until recently). I wouldn't risk it myself

Carlos":y3ib3h56 said:
:p :p :p 

I appreciate y'alls enthusiasm, but please read the rules.  I didn't get all the info I require from some of you guys.    :santa:

ps.  When I say guys, that is an abbreviated form of "Guys and Gals".  (Of course the Lady sent me all I needed, she read the announcement.  :lol: )
Hey watch it bub, who you callin' a lady? :p

Briarbabe":i89zo9nd said:
Carlos":i89zo9nd said:

I appreciate y'alls enthusiasm, but please read the rules.  I didn't get all the info I require from some of you guys.    :santa:

ps.  When I say guys, that is an abbreviated form of "Guys and Gals".  (Of course the Lady sent me all I needed, she read the announcement.  :lol: )
He meant it ironically, you know like my nick name. Either that or he meant it creepy... you know like "Hello ladies"

rev

the rev":ge311373 said:
Briarbabe":ge311373 said:
Carlos":ge311373 said:

He meant it ironically, you know like my nick name.  Either that or he meant it creepy... you know like "Hello ladies"

rev
I know, I was making a jest.