Secret Santa 2015

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my name, and ho boy, this kid may be receiving a Secret Krampus instead of a Secret Santa...

krampus-collage.jpg

I have my victim, and am awaiting more things to arrive. I have been scouring all the local junkyards, and coal bins for the right items to send. Also, I may have scored some old moldy hay, to use as a tobacco substitute...

If you know me you know I am one loquacious cuss, and yet I've just been sitting here staring at an empty reply window, at an utter lack of words. My Secret Santa's gift arrived last night, and I still haven't recovered. Here's why:

2015-111.jpg

2015-112.jpg

(apologies for upside down shot, I am no good with technology)

2015-114.jpg

2015-115.jpg

2015-110.jpg

So as you can see, my considerate benefactor sent me a card with a nice inscription. He also sent three tobaccos that all look delicious but none of which I've tried--Ilsted's Own Dark Fired Plug, Vauen Jubilaumsedition, and HU Tobacco's Pipe and Art 2013 Flake. There was also a lovely hand carved tamp...and a truly exquisite pipe, carved by my Santa himself, along with a handmade pipe bag. This is a maker whose work I've seen online and long admired, and I'll  admit that when I unwrapped the packing and saw just what I'd received I got choked up ("strong men also cry!"). What is absolutely incredible is that I've long desired a bamboo-shanked pipe but all the ones I coveted--very much including those crafted by this very master--always seemed out of reach, and suddenly, unexpectedly, I have as perfect a one as I could have ever dreamed of. Assuming my willpower holds out that long, I'm going to wait until Christmas morning to fire up this piece of briar...but it will take some effort!

Thank you, brother, from the bottom of my heart.

And while I generally don't talk about my personal life on here, I will briefly say that this past year has without a doubt been the toughest of my life--I'm coming out the other end of some really hard times, which is why I haven't been very active on the BoB boards in a while. Receiving this gift when I did--and rather unexpectedly, given the earliness of the season!--well, that Christmas cheer couldn't have come at a better time.

One last aside, then, since I've found my tongue after all: A friend came over last night, and even as a non-puffer he was impressed by the pipe and accouterments, but more than that, the spirit behind them when I explained the BoB Secret Santa tradition. He told me that most of his experiences on social media have been somewhat negative, witnessing people using the anonymity of the internet to be uncivil to one another, bickering about politics or what have you, whereas all my stories from the BoB make him feel like there's a lot to be gained from online communities, that there are still plenty of random strangers out there who care more about focusing on the things that bring us together than that which might push us apart. I'm inclined to agree, and never the more so than during the Secret Santa season, when the collective care and generosity on display is truly something to behold.

Thanks again, my Santa, and all my other brothers and sisters, and happy holidays!

Just under the 2.5 week mark from the usual mailing date. A couple of you Santa's will be mailing sooner. I do have an order on the way to me with a couple new items. I have to dig in the cellar yet. I still need to put some thought into this and have been so busy. Like most of you I suspect. So be thinking about Secret Santa!

Ho ho Ho! :santa:

Carlos":9oc8hj2b said:
Just under the 2.5 week mark from the usual mailing date.  A couple of you Santa's will be mailing sooner.  I do have an order on the way to me with a couple new items.  I have to dig in the cellar yet.  I still need to put some thought into this and have been so busy.  Like most of you I suspect.  So be thinking about Secret Santa!

Ho ho Ho!  :santa:  
Everything is planned; every item but one is in -- who knew that clay pipes featuring Donald Trump would be so popular?

Oh hey- got mine awhile back. I'm doing recon now, this is going to be fun.

Just updating.  Trying to keep the interest up.  We are roughly 10 days from target mailing date.  Be sure to PM me, or email me when you ship.  Send me a tracking number.  I need to reduce my stress and doing that will help.  A couple of you I know will be shipping sooner.  And please login and let us know when something has arrived, even if you do not have time for pics for a couple days.

I got in one order of a few items.  Another is on the way.  So I am getting prepared.  I have yet to go dig in the cellar.  Decision decisions.  

Ho Ho Ho!  :santa:

Still awaiting one more item before packing. Who knew Lemon-root beer cased Latakia was so difficult to find?

ss-15_zpsrwcnsewg.jpg

No card came with this, but I don't know of any reason other than Secret Santa to be hit! So, unless told otherwise, I will presume this is from my Secret Santa!

A tin of SG Scottish Autumn Flake
A pouch of Captain Black
Somewhere between 4-6 ounces of Straus Union Terminal
A nice pipe tool
A straight MM General
A very large straight basket briar

Thank you, brother!

Nice haul, Doc, and way to go Santa!

Have juuuuust about everything in order, and soon will cry havoc and let slip the reindeer...

I am loading my package up in the sleigh right now! :santa: It should be delivered before the weekend.

Now it's time for a drink......okay, you got me......ANOTHER drink! :D :drunken:

I am still whipping the elves for one more item that they are having difficulty procuring. I hope to have the sleigh fully loaded by the weekend.
Mike.

Do you know how hard it is t find a single lump of coal that weighs 10 pounds?

Hope to have mine mailed out this week ?

beardedbassguy":b0uh9t4d said:
Do you know how hard it is t find a single lump of coal that weighs 10 pounds?

Hope to have mine mailed out this week ?
You used to be able to buy that stuff anywhere. Now it's hard to find stoker coal. Got to go straight to the mine for it. :santa: