Secret Santa 2018 - BOB's Eleventh

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that there is one more box associated possibly with Secret Santa.  Perhaps dozens of unofficial, anonymous, etc packages still falling.  If I have missed someone on my spreadsheet, let me know.  But I think everyone has received at least one package from their Secret Santa. Oh! No. One is still awaiting. They had to haul an elf off in an ambulance when he tried to assist Santa by stuffing a large box in a too small mailbox. So it's awaiting pickup. Better get a forklift.

So we wait and see what else falls out of the sky.  

Ho Ho Ho
:rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :santa:

Sidebar:  related to fishclubs and shooting big fish as mentioned here earlier...

Video taken on charter out of Knudsen Cove (about a mile from our house when we lived in Alaska) near Ketchikan.

Shooting a 100 lb. Halibut before landing it...yes, they really do it. Amazing underwater shot of shot!

https://youtu.be/p3Su4HK7En0

PS: unusually nice weather when they did this. A rare sunny day in Ketchikan!

One of my former brewers did a fishing charter in Homer Alaska and caught halibut. Nothing as big as the one in the vid tho. But the stories he told made me want to do it someday. Homer is known as "a drinking town with a fishing problem"! And apparently they have 2 craft breweries for a town of some 5700 folks.

Homer is also where the colorful Hillstrand brothers hail from - Jonathan and Andy of the "Time Bandit" crab boat featured on "Deadliest Catch".

Cheers,

RR

Happened to settle on an episode of the Great Outdoors where the charter boat from one of apparently many lodges in AK took some couples out after halibut. One gal was slamming them, a few around 200 pounds. Those she chose to release. Many 100+ pounds were hooked and they used a shotgun to the head before landing. Even then, those fish did some flopping on deck, one guy got a bloody nose from one. Lots of whale breaches around the boat too. Things went well until seals arrived.

Typical hijinks.  Fish like that are really very, very rare.

My favorite story happened to a guy I knew. He worked for a marina in Ketchikan.  A friend of his from California was visiting and he did a ride along with his local friend on a shake down run of a brand spanking new 28’ Bayliner cabin cruiser.  Of course they took fishing gear along. About half way through the shake down, all the power, other systems and electronics having checked out OK, they stopped and tossed their lines out. God, not liking Californians all that much, let the guy hook a monster Halibut and eventually they get it up to the boat. The local guy runs off to look for rope so they can tie it up before landing it...but the nimrod from California got antsy and being high on adrenaline dragged the monster over the side and into the boat.

When the Coast Guard finally got there the two guys were trapped inside the cabin (everyone agreed they were very lucky)...the door caved in by the wild romp the fish took all over the deck...causing over $10,000 worth of damage. More like $25 K in today’s money. The old saying, “Shoot ‘em BEFORE you pull ‘em in.” should have been applied. Insult to injury...I heard the Coast Guard charged them for the rescue. That part may or may not be true, but they should have.

Ho Ho Ho!

(Don’t get me started on bear stories.)

I had to go to the hospital today for some routine work, xrays, bloodwork, etc.  It was a long day since I had to drive 45 miles to where the hospital is, and then home. I'm glad I had a pipe with me to puff on the way back. When I got home, my wife had gone to the P.O. to get my package for me.  

HOLEY MOLEY!  My SS outdid himself!  I am overjoyed. Words can't express how I feel right now.

Here is a listing, and then some pictures.
First off, a wonderful Christmas card with a kind note.
Then a container of Ferrero Rocher chocolates. (I'll share with the wife!)
Then a Grand Ferrero Rocher. (This one I won't share!)
Two bags of Scottie Dogs Licorice (Oh boy, I'm in Heaven!)
A bag of Hershey's miniatures (another favorite)

Then the pipe tobacco stuff-
One tin of Solani ABF(always wanted to try this but never have)
One tin of Wessex Burley Slice(same with this one)
One tin of C&D Small Batch
One tin of Crooner
Two packages of Dill's pipe cleaners
One Zippo pipe lighter(super nice)
One tobacco pouch w/room for a pipe also
One little goofy figurine(I've seen it before, but can't place it)

And last but not least, something I've always drooled over...

...a Mark Tinsky Naked Coral pipe!  Again, I am at a loss for words. I thank my SS so much for this unbelievable gift. I will cherish this pipe forever.

Pictures to follow shortly.

Here are some quick pics.

(Whaddaya mean “quick”...it just took me 15 minutes to resize and repost them so their huge size didn’t make all the text on the whole page too small to read. I love you guys listing ouctures, I just wish you would do it PROPERLY!!!)

Nice Haul Conrad! I really don't like licorice, but those little scottie dogs make me want to try that candy!

Navyflake":iuj6dueu said:
Nice Haul Conrad! I really don't like licorice, but those little scottie dogs make me want to try that candy!

Yeah, three of them tried to escape when I opened the bag, but I rounded them up and disposed of them properly!! :twisted: :clown:

Blackhorse":o2thmsk9 said:
Ho Ho Ho!  Merrrrrrrry Christmas to all.  

(The next one of you nimrods that posts a triple size photo be warned...I’m just going to delete it.)

And to all a good night!
Thanks for the re-size. I forgot to shrink the pics down before I loaded them. :D

Corncobcon":24gvb9c3 said:
Blackhorse":24gvb9c3 said:
Ho Ho Ho!  Merrrrrrrry Christmas to all.  

(The next one of you nimrods that posts a triple size photo be warned...I’m just going to delete it.)

And to all a good night!
Thanks for the re-size.  I forgot to shrink the pics down before I loaded them. :D

Seems to happen a lot.