Secrets for a happier marriage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevverrett

Reaction score
Ok, gentlemen. Sometimes we find out something new that may be useful to other men out there, when it comes to matrimonial bliss. I found a good one today, and though I’d share. Maybe encourage some men here to drop a few pearls they found themselves along the way.

Anyway... A good number of here may enjoy that occasional pinch of dip or chew. Long story short, don’t use a coffee mug for a spittoon lol. Oh boy, let alone one that was a souvenir from a family vacation.

Maybe. Happened this morning and I’m not sure she’s over it. Started out as a nice morning. She brought me a big mug of coffe in bed, I was perusing the news on my iPad. I was feeling a bit lazy, so decided instead of heading down to the man cave for a smoke I’d kill that last bit of redman I had left over. Big mistake. I felt bad, even washed the dishes after making Sunday family breakfast. Ah well, lesson learned right?

Funny how a container of warm brown spit will gross out some women of a sensitive nature. Remember to floss.

Ozark Wizard":avibfwps said:
Shut up, smile and nod.

No
Matter
What.

:silent:
I’m gonna have to remember that one. I think that this experience has enlightened me somewhat on how far apart we could be on some things. I was in my own little slice of heaven, she unleashed holy hell lol.

Also, yeah Redman is great. You seen the new camo pouch that came out for hunting season?

Respect...that is the key to happy marriage. Can't have enough.

well at least it kinda looks like coffee. :no:

I have always loved chewing Redman. I haven't done so in years, but it is quite tasty and goodness does it ever produce copious amounts of brown liquid for the spittoon.

My wife barely tolerates my pipe smoking, chewing on the other hand might be matrimonial suicide at this point.

my wife said i could pick one chew or smoke so summer time i usualy chew as smokeing can dehydrate me but i some and chew some times

Wives can take a lot. They are amazing. One thing I learned, in the Navy, is when I came back from sea, I was not to start changing things from the way that she had set them. After all, she had to put up with every problem arising and I wasn't there to help. So if she liked things this or that way, I was to respect that.
For example, if she liked the kitchen cupboards organized a certain way and I didn't like it, too bad for me. It was her show. She spent much more time at home than I did. Fair enough.
But, the most important: having disagreements with your wife can happen. Having fights as well. But always keep them at home. In other words: never humiliate your wife in public. Never. Whatever happens, never do. Because you will pay hell for it, sooner or later. I've seen marriages break because of it.

Davy Jones":ly5e2rlp said:
Wives can take a lot. They are amazing. One thing I learned, in the Navy, is when I came back from sea, I was not to start changing things from the way that she had set them. After all, she had to put up with every problem arising and I wasn't there to help. So if she liked things this or that way, I was to respect that.
For example, if she liked the kitchen cupboards organized a certain way and I didn't like it, too bad for me. It was her show. She spent much more time at home than I did. Fair enough.
But, the most important: having disagreements with your wife can happen. Having fights as well. But always keep them at home. In other words: never humiliate your wife in public. Never. Whatever happens, never do. Because you will pay hell for it, sooner or later. I've seen marriages broken because of it.
Excellent advice! I might add never discuss any arguments with family or friends. This forces them to take sides and they will learn to like one and despise the other. What happens in the home stays in the home. If there is any type of abuse and you can’t work it out between yourselves then talk to your pastor or some other councilor. Bring in the police as a last resort unless one’s life is in danger. One last thing: When you go to bed for the night be sure you tell your spouse that you love them. This will go a long way in defusing the situation and give reassurance to the spouse that you want to make the marriage work. :)

AJ

The two pearls that I have are as follows:

If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy.

If she's right, tell her she's right if she's wrong tell her she's right.

This is good stuff. In this day and age, the sorts of marriage advice on the web is crazy new age stuff.

I have found sometimes older married men from my church have great bits of wisdom on making it work. Same for the women with the younger ladies. We have a good number of folks who have over thirty years together, so I’d say they’re on point. How long have you guys been married? I’m approaching 1 yr the end of the summer lol.

Married 22years been together about 25. As to pearls of wisdom.......don't ever embarrass her if you can help it, don't and I have to stress don't ever say anything about her family that could be taken as being critical. Hold her hand, especially in public. Open doors for her and make sure you tell her you love her every single day.

Jim

Come June of this year we will have been married 46 years. :cheers:

AJ

Kudos to you guys that have made this a lifetime commitment. I'll probably never understand how you can do it. Been married and divorced twice and both of them were huge mistakes on so many levels. Guess I'm not cut out for it.

Frankly I've been a loner all my life and have long accepted that. And I'm happy in that decision. Again, my hat is off to all you that can make this work. It's not for me.

;)

Cheers,

RR