Seek Information on Estate Pipes: Charatan's, Sav, Pete

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seldom Seen

Reaction score
I've recently acquired some cheap (less than $10) estate pipes and am interested in learning more about what I have. I obtained 4 pipes in one shot including a meerschaum that I've identified as an Andreas Bauer. All of the pipes will need considerable cleaning/restoration.
First is a Charatan's Make. It is a little mysterious in having a model number 149X but showing a double comfort stem. This would seem to indicate that it should rather have a number 149DC or else a saddle stem rather than a double comfort. The CP mark is totally missing from the stem. Anyone have any idea of what era Charatan's this could be? I don't know anything about the estate this comes from and it may be that someone mixed up stems from different pipes.
Next is a Savinelli "Straight Grain" bent bulldog with a "C" stamp. I don't know anything about Savinelli. Can anyone date this pipe? Any other information about it?
Lastly is a beast of a Peterson's. It is stamped with "KAPRUF". Is there any way to date this big pipe?
I'll post some photos. Thank you in advance for any input. Knowing the history of pipes increases my enjoyment of them.
dsc_3539-600x350.jpg

dsc_3540-600x494.jpg

Concerning your Charatan I'd venture a guess that the DC stem that's on it is a replacement as the X pipes were usually either a saddle bit or at times, a tapered bit, though Charatan didn't make many with those. Since it doesnt have a lane "L" stamp it probably was a european market model. But all thei sis speculative as Charatan was somewhat loosy-goosy as to there stampings. Since it doesnt have the x'd out caharatan name it looks to be a definate pre Dunhill model probably mid '70s would be my guess. It's one of my favorite shapes as I have 8 of them in my 25+ Charatan collection !! Polish that bit up and load 'er up and smoke it, you've got a nice one ! :twisted:

Thanks for the input!
Just gave that Charatan's a test run and she passed.  Deceptively larger than she looks; the smoke lasted a good long while as I sat and contemplated a pond and let the dogs run around.  It makes sense that it is a European market pipe.  The pipe comes from an estate on the German/Denmark border and I am myself in Germany these days.
Even with a presumed replacement stem it passes a pipe cleaner easily and perfect all the way to the bowl.
From what I've read online it looks like those late 70s preDunhill pipes are sort of the worse ones they made? Is there truth to that? Ah well, doesn't matter. Well worth the sawbuck I spent on it.

Seldom Seen":io6g3snq said:
Thanks for the input!
Just gave that Charatan's a test run and she passed.  Deceptively larger than she looks; the smoke lasted a good long while as I sat and contemplated a pond and let the dogs run around.  It makes sense that it is a European market pipe.  The pipe comes from an estate on the German/Denmark border and I am myself in Germany these days.
Even with a presumed replacement stem it passes a pipe cleaner easily and perfect all the way to the bowl.
From what I've read online it looks like those late 70s preDunhill pipes are sort of the worse ones they made?  Is there truth to that?  Ah well, doesn't matter.  Well worth the sawbuck I spent on it.
I bought several of my Specials and blasted pipes of theirs btwn '77 and '79 and they were EXCELLENT pipes. "course these were pre-Dunhill pipes which can many times be identified by the x'd out nomenclature that Dunhill did on the inventory when they took over Charatan back in the '80s. They didn't close the original factory 'till the very late '80s when they moved all production of Freehands to the Dunhill factory  and jobbed out the production of the standard shapes to Italian pipe firms. Here's one of the best Charatan history's I've read. Check it out and it might help :twisted:

https://www.alpascia.com/moments/en/detail/81/pipe-charatan

Those are some lovely pipes, I'm particularly liking that Pete but I've never heard of the kapruf line before. So that's a new one for me too. Sorry to not be any help.

Cheers

Tim

I really like that Savinelli bulldog. I have a Savinelli Straight Grain C pot estate pipe that I purchased back in the 1980's. It's a great smoking pipe. From what I was told, and this could be wrong, but, the 4 number codes were from the 60's and 70's and the 3 number coded pipes were newer. Sometimes I just don't know who to believe! Anyway, you have some nice pipes there. Happy puffing with them.

Congrats on the estate pipe haul - $15 each is a great price for them!

If you haven't already, check out Pipephil.eu for information on stampings, logos, etc. They often have info on dating the pipes as well. Pipedia.org is another good source for info on specific pipe makers.

I can tell you that the Andreas Bauer meer is a good one - Bauer was regarded as the king of Austrian meerschaum pipes in the late 19th Century into the early 20th Century. Properly cleaned and restored, it will be a valuable addition to your collection.