Seeking a New Pipe and Comparing Bowl Capacity Briar Age Etc.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I've smoked a pipe on and off since college days in the 80's, and never spent much on a pipe. My CAO meerschaum cost $25 back then, and that was high on my budget. Now, I'd like to have another decent briar pipe (mine are hand me downs with not well known names-e.g. Lorenzo), so I've been looking at Savinelli and Peterson. I've gotten pretty interested in a Sav 320, and comparing to the 611 and 111 Sav pipes thinking I'd get a bigger bowl. Well, figuring the cubic inch volumes (I know a bit OCD) the largest 611 EX and 111 EX is only about less than 1/2 cubic inch bigger than the 320. And, the inner bowl dimensions are variable depending on what website is used. Even the variations of the 320 (KS, EX, Hercules) are not that much different. I'm also looking at the Rossi 8320 for the extra savings. A local B&M has one in a Sera, but also an older estate billiard marked "Cigar Club 2009-2012" Savinelli, and it is about the size of the 611 EX. One guy there mentioned the older briar is a plus. Of course, I'd like a pipe that smokes well foremost, but figure a Savinelli will be fine. Trying to stay around $100 or less, but could go slightly more if needed. Any thoughts on bowl size range, briar age and smoking quality, etc. I checked myself today on a MM diplomat bent apple which is smaller that the 320 and got 50 minutes out of a very firmly packed bowl of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed match with no relights. About an hour is what seems good to me, but never gone longer, so can't compare. Thanks Swede

Swede, I have the both the Sav 320 and a Sav Hercules 606EX. The 606 is definitely a bigger bowl. With CS Rivendell or Figgy Pudding it's good fo well over an hour. There is also a 617EX that big but they are hard to find. Think I paid right about $100 for the 606. All my Savs are good smokes. One of the best is a vintage 90s era Roma with acrylic stem. Not a long smoke but maybe 45 min or so. Good luck.

Thanks Ranger107, I'm about to go for the Savinelli 320 KS Trevi. Looked at all the variations with different bands, etc. and that one hits me better than the others. I held the Rossi 8320 Sera, and it's nice, but for $30 more I get the Savinelli in the KS. Yeah, I thought after I wrote that about Lorenzo, I really hadn't read up on people's opinions of them. I regret that now, and in reality I've had some good bowls out of mine. Ive had a problem wiyh mine likely caused by my own careless hot smoking of new PS LNF one night. I'm learning and what's cool about briar pipes is unpredictability and nice surprises out of inexpensive pipes. I wish there was a list of estate/vintage pipes to look out for, and maybe I'll get onto searching that out.

Thanks Ranger107, I'm about to go for the Savinelli 320 KS Trevi. Looked at all the variations with different bands, etc. and that one hits me better than the others. I held the Rossi 8320 Sera, and it's nice, but for $30 more I get the Savinelli in the KS. Yeah, I thought after I wrote that about Lorenzo, I really hadn't read up on people's opinions of them. I regret that now, and in reality I've had some good bowls out of mine. Ive had a problem wiyh mine likely caused by my own careless hot smoking of new PS LNF one night. I'm learning and what's cool about briar pipes is unpredictability and nice surprises out of inexpensive pipes. I wish there was a list of estate/vintage pipes to look out for, and maybe I'll get onto searching that out.
Yep. The same pipe can be different depending on blend choice and personal habit. My Lorenzo is dedicated to burley blends.

Swede, The Savinelli 320 trevi is the one I purchased last year,It`s a great pipe if your not a clencher ,I tend to clench most pipes and the mouthpice on the 320 is a little to big for that. Have you looked at the 616 ks ? this and the ones ranger was talking about are good choices as well.

That's great, I just bought one. I looked at the 616 KS, but wanted the author shape, so that and other larger ones will have to be later. I do clench, so must adapt. I dream of finding some at estate sales or antique stores, and ask right off about tobacco stuff. No luck so far, except one small pipe with no brand but Italian briar for $6.

That's for sure. I'm smoking it now and it is comfortable in the hand and only slightly warm. After lighting with matches only, I'm hoping the ember keeps burning well to the end. So far, this bowl size and shape is what I was looking for.

That's for sure. I'm smoking it now and it is comfortable in the hand and only slightly warm. After lighting with matches only, I'm hoping the ember keeps burning well to the end. So far, this bowl size and shape is what I was looking for.
Hey Swede, If you put a Softy Bit on your stem the Savinelli 320’s clinch really well. I have a 320 Mega and have never had an issue. FYI, that was an awesome picture of your 320 Trevi.

Hey Swede, If you put a Softy Bit on your stem the Savinelli 320’s clinch really well. I have a 320 Mega and have never had an issue. FYI, that was an awesome picture of your 320 Trevi.
Hey Sturdy Papa 359, thanks about the picture-320's have a really nice shape. I'm going get some kind of softie and saw something about using shrink wrap tubing, so just got to get some. I'll want to clench it, as that's how I'm most comfortable smoking. Good to hear you have a Mega. Must have more briar to it.

Hey Sturdy Papa 359, thanks about the picture-320's have a really nice shape. I'm going get some kind of softie and saw something about using shrink wrap tubing, so just got to get some. I'll want to clench it, as that's how I'm most comfortable smoking. Good to hear you have a Mega. Must have more briar to it.
Swede,
A Savinelli 320 Mega is a chubby-stubby 320 with a wire rustication.