Selling your McClelland's?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holly bat sh*t Batman.! The frog prices are crazy. I have a tin of frog from 1996. I need to insure that. All the early 2000’s Dunhill tins, various frog tins, red ribbon tins and other McClellan tins I could get a nice vintage colt detective or Walther pistol. From my cold dead hands, is the only way to get my red ribbon.

Told him (Pipestud I'm not ready to sell yet, but, if I get bucked off and trampled I'll have the wife box up everything, pipes and tobacco, and send it to him for resale. Might get enough pay for the pine box, lol.
I'm thinking of getting enough Spanish cedar to make a large humidor that will double as my casket when the time comes.

I sold a tin of McClelland's - green label, don't remember the number - on ebay for good money shortly after the crash. I don't know if ebay was letting full tins be listed then or if I just snuck it through. Also sold a very early full tin of Rattray's Hal o' the Wynd and after I shipped it I found out the guy was a tin collector and didn't really even want the tobacco :eek:! But my McClelland's British Woods? It ain't for sale...

I fully admit it's a conundrum. Just looking at Pipestuds latest auction, my PCCA's, Esoterica's, GLPs, old DHs, and various McClellands +/McC-mades, and Syrian-laced 'baccy's, etc. are worth a bloody fortune. But, I didn't buy them to resell; I bought them to smoke. So all these "bulging bottoms" are staying with me!!! :cheers: FTRPLT
Speaking about Pipestud... how can anyone get some... I’m in right after he opens it up and BAMMMM.... all gone.
Are the bota awake and working?

I'm thinking of getting enough Spanish cedar to make a large humidor that will double as my casket when the time comes.
Don't use cedar as a humidor for loose pipe tobacco. The cedar scent will eventually contaminate it. If it's tined, you need a cool and dry place, certainly not a humidor. Good luck.

I purchased from Steve (pipe stud) a couple of years ago, when prices weren't that extreme. He was a real straight guy and I may have him sell some MC blends from my larder. Right now (mid-May) his site doesn't list any tobaccos, some problems with PayPal, not him, but he said it should be fixed soon.

I may have him sell some MC blends from my larder. Right now (mid-May) his site doesn't list any tobaccos, some problems with PayPal, not him, but he said it should be fixed soon.
He says he has a very large backlog of tobacco to sell. He told me that he added me to his list of consignors, but it may be six to eight weeks before he asks me to send the tobacco.
If you plan on having PipeStud sell your tobacco and pipes, contact him to get on the consignors' waiting list.
I really don't know why he doesn't migrate to postal money orders while the PayPal situation is resolved.

There needs to be an alternative to paypal. Not because it is a monopoly at this point, nor just because they're jerks or whatever. Lots of sellers of lots of things get panged for arbitrary, unexplained, and ridiculous reasons and both lose their money conduit AND the money sitting in the account. I know people who sell music who face this on the regular because there is anything from a naked breast on the record cover to a blasphemous passage in the lyrics. Sex workers of various sorts have been complaining about this for years. Many have had to move to bitcoin, because bitcoin has no whackadoo "ethics" or "moral" guideline on the exchange of monies. Paypal won't talk to you. They won't explain themselves. There's almost no recourse in their algorithmic decision. They have software mining accounts --and everything related to those accounts, from linked websites to merchandise in seller webstores to hot links inside websites-- that alerts them to "wrong doings". None of it is a person looking over content and calculating context of said products. That's why even if you're sneaky and willing, getting a new bank account under your wife's name, or mother-in-law's name, they find you again and cancel that account as well. It's all automated and steadfast because there is no oversight on paypal. Pipestud is being optimistic. He could be fighting paypal for a long time and end up losing. They don't care if you've been doing the exact same thing for 20 years. Their algorithm caught something it didn't like, and that's that.

Can't stand paypal. I won't use them. If a seller had only paypal as an option I just don't buy from them. I haven't had a paypal account for almost 20 years and I still get notices every once in a while that there are charges to my account or that they are suspending my account. Have contacted them several times and asked them to remove my email and any record of my name from their records but I still get messages from them. Assholes.

I've had a limited but very positive business relationship with Steve (PS) in the past, and I'm probably going to send him a number of my McClelland tins. I've got several tins going back ten to twenty years or more and this may sound wimpy, but I can't bring myself to ask on this board what they're going for. I'll pay a third off the top, and Steve earns it for the work he does, but I'll sleep better knowing (or at least imagining?) that some rich person somewhere is going to pay top $ for Christmas Cheer from '99.

Natch

Steve (pipe stud) was a real straight guy and I may have him sell some MC blends from my larder. Right now (mid-May) his site doesn't list any tobaccos, some problems with PayPal, not him, but he said it should be fixed soon.
My understanding from Steve (Pipestud) is that he maintains a list of hundreds of buyers, both domestic and foreign. I believe that periodically he notifies those on the list of his consigned tobacco and pipes. Items that aren't purchased quickly by those on his purchasers' list are then posted on his website. He's selling far more tobacco than that which you may see posted on his site.

The last round of McC's prices on Steve's site blew me away. As I glance over my shoulder, I see mega-bucks in little round metal canisters starring back at me!! FTRPLT

My understanding from Steve (Pipestud) is that he maintains a list of hundreds of buyers, both domestic and foreign. I believe that periodically he notifies those on the list of his consigned tobacco and pipes. Items that aren't purchased quickly by those on his purchasers' list are then posted on his website. He's selling far more tobacco than that which you may see posted on his site.
I don't believe this is correct. :geek:

RSteve said:
daveinlax said:
I don't believe this is correct.

It's what I recall he told me in an email. I had remarked that it appeared from his website that he had limited inventory. He said he had a very large inventory and only a fraction would appear on his website. He must be posting it for sale somewhere. Every time I look at the site, it only shows a few tins for sale. I've been waiting for weeks for Steve's authorization to send some very marketable tobaccos.

I think Pipestud sends out early bird, or whatever special name he might use, emails to notify everyone. A certain time, same day, every week, to notify his base. I don't think there is any secret customer society. If you sign up at his website, you get the same thing everyone gets. If he is bottlenecking his business, it's so he doesn't have to juggle more people and money than he wants. To him, bigger isn't better. More isn't better. But hey, he wouldn't be the first to have a secret system, so I could be totally wrong.

giphy.gif

I think Pipestud sends out early bird, or whatever special name he might use, emails to notify everyone. A certain time, same day, every week, to notify his base. I don't think there is any secret customer society. If you sign up at his website, you get the same thing everyone gets. If he is bottlenecking his business, it's so he doesn't have to juggle more people and money than he wants. To him, bigger isn't better. More isn't better. But hey, he wouldn't be the first to have a secret system, so I could be totally wrong.
I have bought pipes from a man in Denmark that has a web site with a few thousand new and estate pipes along with all things tobacco. After time and once you get to know him if you ask him for a specific shape or maker he will offer several to pick and choose from along with new arrivals he gets in that never make it into his pipe website.

The last round of McC's prices on Steve's site blew me away. As I glance over my shoulder, I see mega-bucks in little round metal canisters starring back at me!! FTRPLT
Crazy as the McClelland tins are, my jaw hit the floor when I saw a tin of Kingfisher go for $325 the other week! I knew it was rare but damn—I remember selling 5 tins for $15 a pop here in the Trading Post a few years back and feeling conflicted for charging a little more than I originally paid haha. I’m sure whoever picked them up got many good smoked out of them, though, and if I’d held onto them it would be for smoking not selling—cracked my last tin after I saw that sale post and kicked myself on account of how good it is, especially since at the going rate I’m never going to buy another tin!

But the brothers here have given me plenty of great deals over the years so it all balances out. The important thing is these blends get smoked instead of gathering dust on a collector’s shelf. Ya can’t take it with you and a tin may be “worth” hundreds on the shelf but is priceless in the bowl.

I have bought pipes from a man in Denmark that has a web site with a few thousand new and estate pipes along with all things tobacco. After time and once you get to know him if you ask him for a specific shape or maker he will offer several to pick and choose from along with new arrivals he gets in that never make it into his pipe website.
Nib, care to share his name and website?

Crazy as the McClelland tins are, my jaw hit the floor when I saw a tin of Kingfisher go for $325 the other week! I knew it was rare but damn—I remember selling 5 tins for $15 a pop here in the Trading Post a few years back and feeling conflicted for charging a little more than I originally paid haha. I’m sure whoever picked them up got many good smoked out of them, though, and if I’d held onto them it would be for smoking not selling—cracked my last tin after I saw that sale post and kicked myself on account of how good it is, especially since at the going rate I’m never going to buy another tin!

But the brothers here have given me plenty of great deals over the years so it all balances out. The important thing is these blends get smoked instead of gathering dust on a collector’s shelf. Ya can’t take it with you and a tin may be “worth” hundreds on the shelf but is priceless in the bowl.
Damn, wonder what I could get for my 5 tins of Frog Morton. I love it but if it would pay for the new Viprati I'm looking at I might give it up.