Selling your McClelland's?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, wonder what I could get for my 5 tins of Frog Morton. I love it but if it would pay for the new Viprati I'm looking at I might give it up.

Like @ftrplt said, any McClelland is bringing in a hefty bounty but the Frogs were some of the most widely available blends right up until the end so they’re a little less hotly sought after than the Virginias. Between Pipestud and other forums I get the impression folks are willing to pay $40-55 for 50g tins and an average of $75 for the big ones, depending on the age and which frog it is (Across the Pond is tops, as it has Syrian).

Like a lot of folks who remember the good old days I couldn’t personally imagine dropping that dough on it, but then who knows how I’ll feel if I ever smoke through the last of mine! Nostalgia may be even more powerful than FOMO…

I'd like to see the activity on his site. Like at 10AM, when he opens up sales, is it all one person buying it all? Or just a couple people/Chinese middlemen? I mean...how can that many pages of tins sell out in minutes? It's like Rolling Stones tickets selling out in minutes. Maybe not a good comparison, but you get the gist. I think he should raise the prices and push the limits. Not because I want to see this tobacco that absurdly priced, but I want to see what the outer price ridge actually is. If they're selling out that fast, traditional economics dictates the prices are too low. I don't like any of this one bit. Not. One. Bit. I find it to be the ugly side of hobbies and pastimes. Nevertheless, I am curious about the market.

I bought my mclelland to smoke back when I was just starting out. I would just buy a variety of tins to smoke, so all of mine are in jars and half of it has been smoked already

I bought my mclelland to smoke back when I was just starting out. I would just buy a variety of tins to smoke, so all of mine are in jars and half of it has been smoked already

Quick question, why jar it instead of leaving it in perfectly good air tight tins? The only McC tin I've had an issue with was one from the late 70's before they started using food grade tins, which had a bit of rust.

Quick question, why jar it instead of leaving it in perfectly good air tight tins? The only McC tin I've had an issue with was one from the late 70's before they started using food grade tins, which had a bit of rust.
I didn't know that at the time I got them as a just of smoking age college student 10 years ago. One of the tins did get a leaky lid so I jarred them

No worries, just I have never seen one of the GLP/C&D/McC type tins have an issue at all, yes maybe if opened and the plastic lid has a leak, but sealed, never.

No worries, just I have never seen one of the GLP/C&D/McC type tins have an issue at all, yes maybe if opened and the plastic lid has a leak, but sealed, never.
Yeah they weren't sealed. I only bought one tin of a blend to smoke, this was before I knew people bought tins for the purpose of cellaring.

Still no shortage of McClelland hitting Pipestud. I wonder when the well will begin to run dry, or at least slow to a trickle. I am surprised by how many proprietary blends there are. Tins continue to pop up that I've never seen. I wonder how many contracts McClelland had with shops and what have you.

Most of the McClelland tobacco I have is in jars. I do have unopened tins of 40th anniversary from a few years ago, and Dark Star and Oriental 14 both even older. In Jars I have some more 40th, some 2015 Christmas Cheer, St James Woods, Frog Morton's Cellar.

I see the 50g goes anywhere from 40-60 and 100 go from 80-120. Now add age and the $ goes up.

I think it has been removed, but Smoker's Haven Krumble Kake sold for $450. Immediately.