Semi-Newbie from Pennsylvania

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiperBrad

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was a snuff chewer for 24 years. In 2007, I picked up a pipe thinking it would be a transition to give up the snuff. It didn't work! I became an occasional pipe smoker in between my full time dip habit.

In 2008, I decide to give up all my tobacco. I jarred most of my loose tobacco and put it, some unopened tins, some ziplock bags of tobacco, and my pipes into a Rubbermaid tote in the basement.

I've craved my pipes multiple times in the last 13 years, but I never got them out for fear if it being s gateway back to snuff. However, last week I decided that the pipe and snuff are too different animals, so I opened the Rubbermaid tote to find almost all of my tobacco in good condition and my pipes ready to go.

I had my first bowl in 13 years last Saturday as sat on the tractor and cut my grass-- Boswell's Pennsylvania Dutch Treat in a MM cob. Last night I had some McBaren's Navy Flake in a Costello. The Pennsylvania Dutch Treat was amazing, but the Navy Flake had a bit of a cigarette taste (maybe it was too dry, the pipe was dirty, or a combination?)

Anyway, thanks for having me. I look forward to learning a lot from you more experienced folks.

Smoking while mowing is a time honored tradition to make yard work less awful. Welcome to the fold.

597A13FE-AAA8-42ED-AEAC-CDD95E0AFFC2.jpeg

Hello and welcome to the forum Brad. I too started smoking pipes thinking I would quit dipping snuff but it hasn't. What it does do is give me a full hour or more away from it when my pipe is lit. Maybe one day when I can have a pipe lit all day I can and will put the snuff away.

A Big Western Howdy PiperBrad from a former Pennavanian. No woods out here! After mowing the desert weeds a pinch of snuff up the snout helps clear my dusty head. If I chew it'll be leaf like Red Man or an American twist. Pipe is best, but never again any McBarens in the bowl. Good luck with Exclusively (can't help thinking of the Cornell and Diehl blend) Piping!

Welcome aboard!!! J.M. Boswell blends some fine 'baccy's!! Pa. Dutch Treat not a bad way to restart your pipe journey!! FTRPLT