Senior moment or random bombing?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fumus

Reaction score
While my other half has, at times, accused me of being the Governor of the state of confusion, my absentmindedness and occasional bouts of CRS do have their advantages.  For instance last Tuesday, I was away for work and she calls to tell me that there was something waiting for me on the dinner table when I got home.  My first thought was "well yeah, dinner I hope".  But then in the background I could hear the gleeful cackling of our brood and I knew that she was referring to another SLP (Suspicious Looking Package).  I knew I hadn't ordered anything recently, but for the life of me I couldn't remember if I was supposed to be expecting anything from another BoB member or not.  So regardless of the intent, for me this mystery package was a complete surprise.  
      Upon returning home I found the wife and youngins impatiently waiting for me to open the SLP, ( I tell ya, the amount of joy they seem to receive from me getting bombed is disconcerting to say the least).   Upon preliminary examination I see that the package is from our very own mejoshee.  Inside I find a very generous portion of Treasures of Ireland Galway by Dan Tobacco, another very generous helping of coins which I believe to be PS Lux Bulls-eye Flake, a package of bristle pipe stem cleaners, some rubber bit protectors (very handy since I do tend to chomp a little too aggressively sometimes when Ive got the pipe clenched in my teeth).  Underneath all of this I found two awesome estate pipes! A Sydney P Ram straight grain billiard, and MY VERY FIRST DOGGY!!!!! I have been wanting a bulldog (either straight or bent) for some time now, but due to financial reasons have not been able to get one.  So you can imagine how stoked I was to find a lovely rusticated?  73 Kiko Tanganyika straight bulldog next to the Sydney P Ram straight billiard.  At first I assumed (dangerous that) that because of its very dark/nearly black color, the kiko was made of briar.  However after a bit of research it now appears that it could be a type of meerschaum. If so, that would make it not only my first doggy, but my first meerschaum as well. Too Cool!:cheers:
      Have never done any pipe refurbishing, but am definitely looking forward to cleaning these two beauties up and showing them off.  Was able to find advice on polishing the billiard, but still not sure what to do with the bulldog, assuming (there's that word again) that it is indeed meerschaum.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.  
      And a huge thank you to Josh :D  This was definitely a much needed blast of uber coolness.  :afro:

edit: Good Grief! Must have been tireder than I thought last night. In addition to the above, there was also a tin of Dunhill Flake Virginia and a tin of Dunhill My Mixture 965 in the box along with all the other goodies.
Thanks again Josh! Awesome surprise.

Josh is one cool dude. Congrats on being a recipient of generosity!

Way to Go Josh :cheers:
Those Kikos are made with African meer if I recall correctly. Pobably meer lined. I think they need to be treated with a bit more care as the African meer is a bit more brittle, but again my memory could be flawed. They are supposed to be great smokers.
Enjoy!

Very well done guys! As far as cleaning the "meer", just scrape out anything that resembles cake and use Q-tips with Everclear on them to scrub out the bowl and shank really well. Let it dry for a couple of days and you should be good to go.