serious collectors, roll call

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The serious-unserious answer to the serious Sasquatch:

Maybe you're full of sh*t, but how would I know what sh*t was?   :lol:

I probably don't know what a pipe is supposed to taste like, but I know what my pipes taste like.  I know what they perform like.   The ones I like, I keep.   The ones that don't pass muster go away.   Ignorance is bliss.   By the fact someone can give or sell me a pipe, and say it smokes great, I may be led by the hand.  Or not.  I've been doing this pipe thing :cough:  "seriously" for over only a couple of years.   I still haven't gotten there?  Cool.  Plenty more road ahead to enjoy, then.

For a fellow seeker of perfect smokes, Sas, cheers to ya, Bro.  :cheers:  Keep up the fine thoughts and wares.  :D

I begrudge no one of their choice of pipe. I do, however, consider a playful enemy of those who flaunt their gimmicks more than a fella I consider comrade--with natural, simple character when he's found his it's it in a puff of smoke.

8)

I'm own about 55 pipes and I smoke them all. I have GBD, Sasieni, Stanwell, Brebbia, Petersen, db, etc.

I fell in love with Savinelli pipes a while ago and I would have liked to own only Savs. But I won't get rid of any of my old friends, so no chance there.

I bought another Sav today which brings my total up to 12. I think I'm going to stick to one dozen.

The hip response is that all pipes go through a strict quality evaluation, and only the all stars get kept.

But attraction and appeal is a funny thing. A guy will put up with a lot from a woman he really loves that he'd be tempted to roll his eyes at if he were seeing that same sort of thing in his friend's life.

Perspective is everything.

Before there were effective de-tox treatments, I bought (from a friend & mentor I remember every time I see it) an estate pipe that was such a Lakeland Love Canal that I couldn't smoke it for over 30 years. No way was I going to part with it though.

There's another one beside it -- a similarly old estate -- that I'm devoting a ridiculous amount of time and trouble to bringing back into smoking condition after somebody ill-advisedly reamed the cake down to wood, uncovering some nasty cracks & char. It may be salvageable as a smoker. Or not. Either way, I'm still keeping -- and liking -- it though.

Once a pet or a pipe pushes your little button, you don't turn your back to it because of some problem it presents.

:face:

Yak":2agdxbn1 said:
Once a pet or a pipe pushes your little button, you don't turn your back to it because of some problem it presents.

Agreed and I love Love Canal reference = a lost cause!

riff raff":7alszews said:
Yak":7alszews said:

Agreed and I love Love Canal reference = a lost cause!
Love canals get guys in trouble a lot. :lol:

8)

Let's go back and clean this up.

Food for thought : the single most important part of a pipe is the stem.
Sasquatch":r4fam34y said:
For many of us, though, "value" falls to the wayside the first time we smoke a pipe with a REALLY good stem, and all our other pipes feel like sucking on a garden hose nozzle or something in comparison. Then "value" goes out the window for many of us, or rather, we "value" the tactile experience of a better pipe more than we value, say... having money for retirement (didn't say this was a smart crowd).

I HATE fighting old green stinky vulcanite. I value my time and my taste buds more than that, so for me, battling an old estate pipe is foolish, when for a few bucks more (and it is only a few) I can get an Italian second with lucite, brand new.

I consider myself to be a serious pipe smoker, not a serious collector. My goal is to buy pipes that smoke my favorite flakes as well as possible. Towards this end I have found that my favorite pipes are from American artisans like Rad Davis, Bruce Weaver, Brian Ruthenberg and a few others. These pipes never need a pipe cleaner to soak up excess moisture, they have stems that are designed so well that they are comfortable to clench and they add to the smoking properties of the pipe. My ultimate goal is to have around 30-35 pipes that fit this description as any more than that and some will get ignored. I do not like having pipes in my collection that do not get smoked on a regular basis. I am at 25 pipes in my American artisan collection so I am still looking for more. I buy estate pipes from these makers when the opportunity arises mostly because I have a price threshold I do not go over and many times a new pipe from these makers is over that number. To me a pipe is worth only so much money as I have found over the years, that spending more only gets me grain and looks and I have never been able to smoke grain. I buy mostly sandblasted pipes because of the cost, but will grab a smooth if the price is right.

I think anyone can be a serious collector and it matters not what they are collecting. There is a guy on the web who has an amazing collection of Edwards pipes, they are not expensive pipes but his collection is as serious as it gets. Price is definitely not the determining factor of a serious collector in my mind.

cigrmaster":jeqojy1d said:
I think anyone can be a serious collector and it matters not what they are collecting. There is a guy on the web who has an amazing collection of Edwards pipes, they are not expensive pipes but his collection is as serious as it gets. Price is definitely not the determining factor of a serious collector in my mind.
This.

sisyphus":ctm6680m said:
cigrmaster":ctm6680m said:
This.
Otcpipes is the name of the website and it is run by this fellow: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/u1169

I know another guy who seriously collects Grabows.

I think you qualify as a Serious Collector if you would make a desperate sortie to grab at least one rack of pipes on your way out the door if your house was on fire.

So yeah, I am.

mattia76":hvbszen4 said:
I think you qualify as a Serious Collector if you would make a desperate sortie to grab at least one rack of pipes on your way out the door if your house was on fire.

So yeah, I am.
Only ONE! No no, I'm grabbing all of'em, the wife can find her own way out.

Cartaphilus":sv36eb3f said:
mattia76":sv36eb3f said:

So yeah, I am.
Only ONE! No no, I'm grabbing all of'em, the wife can find her own way out.
:lol!: 

Cheers,

RR

If you put time and effort into curating your collection so that it reflects your style and taste, then you are a serious collector, no matter how much or how little you spent. And that's nothing to be embarrassed or apologetic about.

Which pipe would you prefer, one where machines go bam, squeeze, grind, finished. Now to the dept to hide any mishaps or flaws?Time 10 minutes, including picking out the cutters.Sometimes they even make pretty nice pipes for most.Or, a great piece of briar that a craftsman, a pipe carver has worked on for days, to guide and coax it to deliver a smoking experience that transports you, the smoker to a place of peace, joy, contentment, that non=pipe smokers will ever know? The question is what are you willing to pay for a pipe? All that time? What is it worth to you?All that time to acquire the knowledge to teach your hands to follow your heart.Whats that worth to you?I bet your time is valuable. isn't it?Now tell me what you want me to make.Think about it,Honestly.Forget people with bad manners.Most pipe carvers I know will try to accommodate you.They have many grades of material they spend good money for, Most of them will make you pipe to the best of their ability no matter which block or stem material you choose.The better the briar is in subtle differences i.e.:grain ,tightness, plateau, ebachon,etc, etc, They pay for that and can't give it away, so it cost more.Simple.The pipe maker,carver, will honestly make you a good pipe.You see when I hear the discussion on collecting pipes I never hear it put correctly.Do you collect factory pipes, or do you collect hand made pipes.Thats the real story.Pick where you want, and stop the bickering.I have both.I bought the best that I could, of both and kept the ones that that made me happy.I make pipes for pipe smokers not for someone to hang on the wall, whatever.But I don't give them away, most of the time,in some cases I guess I do.I don't have these knurled hands because I've had it easy.I have them from countless hours of pipe carving and still wish my work was better.Most pipe carvers just want you to have a pipe you can really enjoy.Most of these carvers have to work at another job so they can carve.I'm lucky,I can do what I want.If they don't sell? Hey want to see a really big collection?Just know, there is no free lunch.Next time you feel slighted and you think you have a good factory, or artisan pipe, just figure the person has bad manners or just likes being a snob.It takes all kinds and we, are all kinds.Enjoy your pipe,celebrate it.The day may come it will not exist.Some very bad things have already happened.So, support your fellow pipe smoker, even if he is an asshole.IMHO.

Yak":7y5x65wv said:
Food for thought : the single most important part of a pipe is the stem.

Nope!!!

I can smoke a pipe without a stem

You can't smoke a stem without a pipe!!!

I pushed my self to own 12 Savinellis, not really because I wanted that many Sav's. I'm just a sucker for even figures and one dozen looks so nice! (And well, I do love Sav's)!!

Ten days ago I realized that I own 11 bulldogs. Now, eleven is an uneven number in my books. I could not find peace until I've bought another bulldog.

So now I have 1 dozen Sav's and 1 dozen bulldogs.

What's next? Looking at my whole collection and making sure that I have even numbers of all the brands I own !!

I can already tell you that I need another Kirsten (I only have one) and another Falcon (I have three).

Do I qualify as a serious collector? :oops: