Seven Essentials

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefisher

Reaction score
Hi! I'm wondering what you all would consider the "essential blends" that everyone should smoke at least once. I'm not talking about tobacco for new smokers here. I've been smoking cigars for 15 years, and a pipe for 18 months, and I have no fear of strong tobacco. :face:

I'm thinking more of what you'd consider essential smokes. New blends or old standards. Based on what I've read I'd think Nightcap and FVF would make the list, but what else?

Oh, and I chose seven simply because I like the way "seven essentials" rolls off the tongue. If someone asked me the same questions but in regards to cigars, I'd say:

Arturo Feunte "Short Story"
Ashton "Virgin Sun Grown" Tres Mystique
My Father "Le Bijou" petit robusto
E.P. Carillo core line #4
Liga Privada #9 toro
Montecristo No. 4
Cohiba Siglo II

Thanks in advance.

Good luck in advance: getting a consistent list, that is. Pipe tobacco, as a whole, isn't reviewed, scored and lauded like cigars are. In another forum you might get a totally different list. The stuff that sells out frequently isn't always an indicator whether or not it is "essential." Flavor-of-the-month gets precedence because it's new. Suddenly some jerk (like me) discovers a controversial tobacco that ends up being a misunderstood, delicious miscreant (see "Erinmore Flake.")

The thing I like about pipe smoking is that the essential part of it is that you're enjoying the hell out of it. Fancy the ritual, look forward to the peace. Anyone who tells you differently is fish-mouthing nonsense.

8)

Don't know how helpful this is, but these are the most cellared tobaccos by weight on TobaccoCellar.com...

Most cellared blends (by weight):
Samuel Gawith-Full Virginia Flake with 198 lbs 10.2 oz
Esoterica Tobacciana-Penzance with 134 lbs 3.2 oz
marquee serries-black house with 128 lbs
Esoterica Tobacciana-Stonehaven with 114 lbs 6.7 oz
Dunhill-My Mixture 965 with 73 lbs 14.9 oz
A & C Petersen-Escudo Navy Deluxe with 70 lbs 11.5 oz
Russ Ouellette-Anniversary Kake with 68 lbs 7.1 oz
Samuel Gawith-Squadron Leader with 65 lbs 8.3 oz
Rattray-Hal O the Wynd with 56 lbs 10.1 oz
Samuel Gawith-Best Brown Flake with 56 lbs 1.5 oz
Dunhill-Royal Yacht with 51 lbs 1.7 oz
Samuel Gawith-St. James Flake with 49 lbs 14.3 oz
Peter Stokkebye-Luxury Bullseye Flake with 49 lbs 6.3 oz
Samuel Gawith-1792 Flake with 48 lbs 3 oz
Dunhill-Nightcap with 43 lbs 14.8 oz
Peter Stokkebye-Luxury Navy Flake with 43 lbs 8.5 oz
Orlik-Golden Sliced (red) with 42 lbs 6.1 oz
GL Pease-Union Square with 40 lbs 3.9 oz
Dunhill-Early Morning Pipe with 38 lbs 10.3 oz
Peter Stokkebye-Luxury Twist Flake with 37 lbs 3.8 oz

Might give you an idea what pipe smoker's consider cellar worthy.

Pick 7 "brands", smoke ALL their blends, pick out one (1) from ea and voila, you have YOUR 7 essential blends. Then take 7 more "brands" and do the same. When you have gone thru ALL available blends, take your seven (7) from each and pick out YOUR 7 to get the final DEFINATIVE 7 for YOU :twisted: ( won't be MY 7 but then NO one can give you THAT :twisted: )

monbla256":benzwizd said:
Pick 7 "brands", smoke ALL their blends, pick out one (1) from ea and voila, you have YOUR 7 essential blends. Then take 7 more "brands" and do the same. When you have gone thru ALL available blends, take your seven (7) from each and pick out YOUR 7 to get the final DEFINATIVE 7 for YOU :twisted: ( won't be MY 7 but then NO one can give you THAT :twisted: )
I like this notion. :)

8)

Simple Man":nh7opbbx said:
Don't know how helpful this is, but these are the most cellared tobaccos by weight on TobaccoCellar.com...

So that's where all the FVF, Penzance and Stonehaven went. :lol:

DrumsAndBeer":pm2r2q1w said:
Simple Man":pm2r2q1w said:

So that's where all the FVF, Penzance and Stonehaven went. :lol:
Yep! :lol:

wow, didn't mean to get everyone all worked up! It was an honest (if perhaps naive) question. Kyle, I definitely understand that it's all about enjoying the moment. The same could be said for cigars though, and I think to an extent for any hedonistic pursuit focused on a consumable. Perhaps "essentials" was the wrong word.

That said, I'm sure each of you would have a few recommendations for "you really ought to try this" blends.

Simple Man":t7ccsnqp said:

Very useful indeed. thanks for this.

Bluefisher":qb6mup3u said:
wow, didn't mean to get everyone all worked up! It was an honest (if perhaps naive) question. Kyle, I definitely understand that it's all about enjoying the moment. The same could be said for cigars though, and I think to an extent for any hedonistic pursuit focused on a consumable. Perhaps "essentials" was the wrong word.

That said, I'm sure each of you would have a few recommendations for "you really ought to try this" blends.
We're always on the verge of worked up...or it's just the Internet being...Internetty. :heart:

The essentials are always in pragmatic approach rather than the content of your pipe (or hell, the pipe itself). Go find some 'bacca that sounds good and have at it. You're well-versed in it via cigars, you'll find your path.

Speaking of which, I've been obsessed with the R y J "(Habana) Reserve" lately. I'm not a cigar guy, but it's one of the best, inexpensive stogies I've ever had.

Not to throw the ebb of the theme, here... :p :lol:

8)

Read thru the Stiky about "Suggested blends for new smokers" here. You may find your answer there. Alot of good suggestions for "essentials" :p

Kyle Weiss":lu8h4fne said:
Go find some 'bacca that sounds good and have at it. You're well-versed in it via cigars, you'll find your path.

Speaking of which, I've been obsessed with the R y J "(Habana) Reserve" lately. I'm not a cigar guy, but it's one of the best, inexpensive stogies I've ever had.

Not to throw the ebb of the theme, here... :p :lol:

8)
thanks for the words of encouragement. I think next up for me are Best Brown Flake and Odyssey. :D :D

Oh, and I haven't tried that RyJ, but I'd recommend you try that E.P. Carillo core line if you get a chance. One of the best all around values to be had in cigars at the moment IMHO. ;)

lol, I recently made this list of not-blends to try first.
Burley
Cavendish
Perique
Latakia
Virginia
Turkish
Oriental

I'd throw Bob's Chocolate Flake in the hat. It's an oddball tobacco, in a good way. My pipe smoking buddy calls it the old lady perfume tobacco. I called it awesome.

LPcreation":9r7tillu said:
I'd throw Bob's Chocolate Flake in the hat. It's an oddball tobacco, in a good way. My pipe smoking buddy calls it the old lady perfume tobacco. I called it awesome.
awesome. will do.

dugo":z2p8bu6d said:
lol, I recently made this list of not-blends to try first.
Burley
Cavendish
Perique
Latakia
Virginia
Turkish
Oriental
In other words... "pipe tobacco"?? :lol: :lol:

John Patton Oriental Dusk
Escudo
GH Dark Flake
Solani Aged Burley Flake
Uhles 00
C&D Bow-Legged Bear
Peterson Irish Flake, University Flake
Pease Cumberland, Haddos (both aged)

alfredo_buscatti":d1osprh3 said:
John Patton Oriental Dusk
Escudo
GH Dark Flake
Solani Aged Burley Flake
Uhles 00
C&D Bow-Legged Bear
Peterson Irish Flake, University Flake
Pease Cumberland, Haddos (both aged)
Thank you!

Just seven is really hard. Take a look at this list of tobacco touchstones. (I used to maintain a similar list in the old Tobacco Aging FAQ.)

If the intent is to pick blends that will allow you speak intelligibly with others, you might sacrifice some quality and go with the "good *and* popular", like the current iteration of Escudo, or Full Virginia Flake, or #5100. (Some may put these into the "excellent" category. The point is, you should know what these taste like.)

I might amend this list with a variety of blends on available through trades or ebay, e.g. GLP Renaissance or Bohemian Scandal, or Bell's Three Nuns.

That said, I would not waste a slot on drugstore blends or goopy aromatics -- focus on the good stuff. My two cents! :)

planetary":6z1y1ppt said:
Just seven is really hard. Take a look at this list of tobacco touchstones. (I used to maintain a similar list in the old Tobacco Aging FAQ.)

If the intent is to pick blends that will allow you speak intelligibly with others, you might sacrifice some quality and go with the "good *and* popular", like the current iteration of Escudo, or Full Virginia Flake, or #5100. (Some may put these into the "excellent" category. The point is, you should know what these taste like.)

I might amend this list with a variety of blends on available through trades or ebay, e.g. GLP Renaissance or Bohemian Scandal, or Bell's Three Nuns.

That said, I would not waste a slot on drugstore blends or goopy aromatics -- focus on the good stuff. My two cents! :)
Thank you for that!