Seven Essentials

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bluefisher, one blend I have always enjoyed is MacBaren Navy Flake.

I like the flavor enough that I dedicated a vintage Kaywoodie bulldog to that blend. It smokes much easier than some flakes, in that it rubs out into almost a dry ribbon cut, and has very little bite and seems much easier to keep lit than other Virginias. Even straight out of the tin with only 15mins drying time, I get an awesome dry smoke out of that little Kaywoodie and Kaywoodies usually gurgle relatively easily.

Dutch":e4ne21xt said:
Bluefisher, one blend I have always enjoyed is MacBaren Navy Flake.

I like the flavor enough that I dedicated a vintage Kaywoodie bulldog to that blend. It smokes much easier than some flakes, in that it rubs out into almost a dry ribbon cut, and has very little bite and seems much easier to keep lit than other Virginias. Even straight out of the tin with only 15mins drying time, I get an awesome dry smoke out of that little Kaywoodie and Kaywoodies usually gurgle relatively easily.
sounds very nice! I shall add that one to the short list. Much appreciated.

Kyle Weiss":bb3wztcm said:
monbla256":bb3wztcm said:
Pick 7 "brands", smoke ALL their blends, pick out one (1) from ea and voila, you have YOUR 7 essential blends. Then take 7 more "brands" and do the same. When you have gone thru ALL available blends, take your seven (7) from each and pick out YOUR 7 to get the final DEFINATIVE 7 for YOU :twisted: ( won't be MY 7 but then NO one can give you THAT :twisted: )
I like this notion. :)

8)
All that math makes my head hurt! Plus, I don't have that many fingers to work it out.

Natch

I'm cheating a little bit, but here's my .02:
Old Dublin
Early Morning Pipe
Best Brown Flake
Hal O' the Wind
Mac Baren Plumcake
Wilke Rumcake or #191
Lane RLP-6 or 1Q

Thing is, if you go to the TR site, you'll see that there are so many choices that any individual's list will have a blind men and the elephant quality to it. Not that that should inhibit you :)

planetary":3ey5bzlv said:
Just seven is really hard. Take a look at this list of tobacco touchstones. (I used to maintain a similar list in the old Tobacco Aging FAQ.)
Lotsa good info in just that thread alone. Gonna take me a while to soak it all in. Great link there and thank you for posting it here.

TonyS":3sjw3bku said:
Lotsa good info in just that thread alone. Gonna take me a while to soak it all in. Great link there and thank you for posting it here.
Just don't be mislead into thinking that Frog Morton on the Town is a Medium to Full English, that Jack Knife Plug is a straight VA plug, that 1792 is an aromatic, that Marlin Flake only contains VA, that Golden Sliced contains burley?...... :?:

Nice list, but IMHO a bit off-base. :scratch:

DrumsAndBeer":flh2oeux said:
Just don't be mislead into thinking that Frog Morton on the Town is a Medium to Full English, that Jack Knife Plug is a straight VA plug, that 1792 is an aromatic, that Marlin Flake only contains VA, that Golden Sliced contains burley?...... :?:
Nice list, but IMHO a bit off-base. :scratch:
Well that's it now, isn't it...if one cares enough then they'll study more than one avenue of opinion. That's what this whole pipe/tobacco journey's all about. :)

Here are some that made my eyebrows raise in the last few weeks (seven is impossibly hard to nail down):

Dan's Hamborger Veermaster
FVF from 2001
Solani's Aged Burley Flake
Pease Haddo's Delight and Blackpoint
McClelland's Wilderness

I like this. There are just some blend that you must try to have any relevant knowledge about pipe tobacco. For example, as previously mentioned, Escudo is a classic red VA with perique cut to coins.

So, I think everyone needs to understand what Syrian latakia taste like. So, Renaissance if you can find any. Alternatively, 3 Oaks Syrian.

Lol, I've been back into pipes for a couple months now, and am also trying to put together this list of "must haves". Every time I order, my order grows to a dozen or so blends. I get them, try them, like them ALL.

I'm starting to see though that I go through some faster, so maybe I like some a little better?

Currents that come to mind:

Hal O The Wynd
Solani - Virginia Flake 633
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe
Escudo Navy Roll
Cornell and Diehl - Habana Dreams (sp?)
Dunhill's Nightcap
Solani Aged Burley Flake

I've been copy/pasting everyone's input to each time someone asks a question similar to yours, have quite a list. I've slowly been ordering them all, and must say, I agree. With all of them...

Maybe in time my tastes will become more discriminating, like with fine wine.

I can throw in another resource I use, reviews.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/browse_rating.cfm?RATING=4

Good luck, and enjoy!
--Alex

Thanks Alex! Just got a tin of FVF and I'm going to try smoking that exclusively for a few weeks to try and really learn it's in's and outs.

in no particular order:

Condor Plug
Ogdens Walnut Flake
Presbyterian Mixture
Erinmore Flake
Squadron Leader
Capstan Navy Flake (Blue)
1792 Flake

tomorrow this will all change!!!!

Here is my list of blends that I think you should try.

Escudo
SG Best Brown Flake, St James Flake and FVF
Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake
Solani 633 and Silver Flake
Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired
Stonehaven
Astleys no. 44 Dark Flake

All of these are in my regular rotation and I stock large quantities of each.