SG's Balkan Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedeep

Reaction score
Do you suppose SG adds tonquin to the Balkan Flake? I get the same, or
very similar taste as 1792 at times, and certainly in the tin.

thedeep":n8tr6d5z said:
If they do, that is a blend I will surely avoid. :)

No tonquin that I can tell. But some folks do not like the similar taste that seems to come with Gawith flakes. I think it is a common leaf that is used, and the processes used to create the flakes. It is a commonality that I find delicious among all the varieties in the line. Condiment leaf and flavorings added to the base recipe to create other flakes. At least that's my guess. Who really knows what goes on in blending houses.

I have yet to try either SG Balkan Flake or 1792 but apparently the 1792 does contain this condiment. Although I have tried a Deer Tongue flavored mixture from Peretti that I like on occasion, I'm naturally leery of stuff non-tobacco. But pipe tobacco nearly all has some sort of topping or capping, doesn't it??

Peretti #111 was supposedly blended for the crooner by them. The Deer Tongue is a vanilla flavor that adds a bit of heat to the mix. It sounds bad but it's grown on me. I don't smoke it more than once a month and keep a special pipe for it. :p

What does tonquin taste like? Is it poisonous? :shock: :lol:

Tonquin (a/k/a tonka bean) has a sort of vanilla-spice taste to it. It contains coumarin, a blood-thinner that's also used as a rat poison. But you'd have to consume an implausible amount of it to kill you; if you could ingest that much 1792 tobacco, the nicotine would kill you first.

It was said that the taste of Scotch Whiskey was an "acquired taste" and I agree
with that .I have acquired a fondness for the floral,soapy taste that some of the
G&H flakes present.I am smoking some Bosun Cut Plug right now and the exotic
clove-germanium taste is intoxicating. :drunken:

Winslow :sunny:

thedeep":d76cezwp said:
Tonquin is only added to 1792, and although many say that this has a vanilla flavour, to me it tastes like chocolate, and IMHO, it is not a pleasant one, 1792 is one of the few SG's I do not like.

As for Balkan, there is no tonquin, the tobacco's sourced for Balkan Flake, beleive it or not, come from the Balkan Region, the tin art is the region from where the tobacco comes from, and there are no other additives.

Almost forgot to mention, if your trying 1792, may I suggest a Cob or Clay as 1792 will Ghost the daylights out of a briar