Sharing My Father's Hobby

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarBeagle

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

It is with a saddened heart that I begin this post.  The hospice team was in our home today to enroll my father in hospice care as he is nearing the end of his voyage.  My brother and I live together in the same house as our father, and we have become his full-time care takers over the past year, as his health has progressively deteriorated as a result of a long list of terminal diagnoses: Heart Failure, Pulmonary Disease, end stage kidney failure, cirrhosis of the liver, and (to top it all off) Leukemia.  It has been a difficult journey, for him especially, as his self-sufficiency has dwindled into dependence upon us to assist him with the most menial tasks.  It has been an honor and privilege to be by his side and serve him, with an abundance of love, respect, and admiration for him in my heart.

Though he is still with us (today), it is my desire to preserve his memory and immortalize him in the pages of the BoB.

My father is now 88 years old.  He served as an Air Force radioman during the Korean War, and went on to get college degrees in business and engineering at the University of Arizona.  He retired from a long 30+ year career with JPL (NASA's unmanned space flight division) in the mid-90's.  He always loved creating things with his hands.  As children, he would build model rockets, airplanes, and gliders for us to launch and fly at the local park.  He had a deep love for all things nautical and aeronautical.  In the 1980's he began making ship models, initially out of wood kits.  They were all plank on frame construction, deeply laborious, and beautiful to look at.  They are still majestically displayed in a cabinet in our home.  He joined the International Ship Modelers Association and would regularly attend monthly meetings with like-minded individuals that were truly experts in their craft.  Shortly thereafter he met a Japanese man that inspired him to try his hand at crafting models out of an unusual medium - paper.  

For the past 30+ years, my father has constructed elaborate models out of paper.  He is one of a smattering of people worldwide that have devoted their life to this craft.  To date, he has produced over 300+ models, primarily ships (both naval and merchant) and aircraft, along with a few other random pieces of interest to him.  Our house has become a small museum in itself, with models occupying spaces throughout every corner of the house.  Many of these models have thousands of hours invested into a single piece, taking him 12-18 months to build (for one model!).  His work has been displayed at nautical museums and at International Ship Modelers conferences.  

He was a great historian who loved to share his hobby with others, and was always eager to give a history lesson on each vessel to anyone with an interest.  It gave him great joy and peace, and I believe that it kept his mind and hands sharp well into his eighties.  Unfortunately, he produced his last model roughly one year ago at the age of 87.  

As I know that many of our members are craftsmen themselves, I thought I would create this thread to share some photos of his work in hopes that some may find some degree of appreciation as I have found.  I hope to continue to update it with more pieces as time permits, and hope that you find some joy in it.  The detail is incredible, especially considering the medium.  Its also important to note that the models have moving parts: gun turrets swivel side to side and the guns move up and down.  The pictures surely won't do them justice, but its the best I can do.

Here are a few pictures to wet your whistles, and more will be added as the days pass:

HMCS Flower-Class Corvette (Canadian, WWII)

USS Arizona

Thanks for looking.  I hope you have enjoyed the photos.

Wishing you all good health and sweet smokes.

Loren

Very saddened to know of your father's situation Loren. However that's a fine and fitting testimonial to a great man. And the pics of the models are quite impressive. He clearly has a unique talent for attention to detail.

Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to seeing more pics.

Cheers,

RR

That is terrible to hear, I remember when my dad was in hospice. It can be a rough time for sure. The models do look fantastic and I bet the pictures don't do justice to the actual models. Hope everything goes smoothly for you guys.

I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad Loren. He sounds like a very talented man and sharing the results of his hobby is a wonderful way to honor him. Hope you are doing as well as possible in this rough time.

I’m very sorry to hear about your Father.

Those models are absolutely beautiful. I myself am an avid model builder so I can definitely appreciate the level of skill displayed by your Father.

My Father in Law passed away long before I married his daughter so I never got to meet him. He served on the U.S.S Intrepid and in his honor, I’ll be starting that kit very soon for display in our home.

Again, I’m very sorry as I’ve been through the same situation.

Loren, I am deeply saddened to hear what you are going through. Its an honnor to see the models he spent so much time on. They are absolute works of art. Stay well and bless you and your brother in this difficult time.

Jim

I appreciate the kind words and empathy, gentlemen.  I know that I am not the only one to have this experience.  In fact, my mother passed in our home 5 years ago, shortly after the hospice team got involved.  I can only pray that he will suffer as minimally as possible.

PanHandler":dmr1l0ah said:
I’m very sorry to hear about your Father.

Those models are absolutely beautiful. I myself am an avid model builder so I can definitely appreciate the level of skill displayed by your Father.

My Father in Law passed away long before I married his daughter so I never got to meet him. He served on the U.S.S Intrepid and in his honor, I’ll be starting that kit very soon for display in our home.

Again, I’m very sorry as I’ve been through the same situation.
PH, I'd love to see some of your models if you care to share a picture or two.  I will share them with my father as well.

BriarBeagle":4hbj0hil said:
 He retired from a long 30+ year career with JPL (NASA's unmanned space flight division) in the mid-90's.

Loren
Wow that would be an amazing job. I have flown unmanned aircraft in the army for the last 14ish years and have always wanted to get into unmanned space flight, one of my dream jobs (well I've wanted to do manned space flight but think my ship has sailed on that one)

-Dan

Your father has a remarkable talent! I'm saddened by your news, and would really appreciate seeing more of his work. Sounds like his life has been full of adventure and interesting stuff. He is truly blessed to have you and your family there to look out for him and see to his needs..... I will light a candle for you.

Well, my father passed away on Friday night, peacefully, and surrounded by a family that loved him. To honor his memory I will be posting more pictures of his hobby in the days to come.

He will be deeply missed.

My condolences. My uncle also had a similar hobby. I have 3 sail double planked unfinished ship he made when he passed. Takes a lot of time, patience and skill for that hobby!

I am very sorry for your loss sir. It sounded like he got his mile's worth out of his shoes, which, when all is said and done, is all any of us can ask for. Also, though I understand that you were the best son he could ask for by taking care of him in his last moments, I know that what you added to your responsibilities was taxing. Now, you may find somewhat of a void in your recent routine in addition to the loss of your father. If you need to talk anything out, you know how to reach me. I'll listen.

Bless you and your family. Take care.

Thanks, guys.  

We laid my father to rest today, and I just returned home from the ceremony and a nice dinner with family to honor his memory together.  It's been a bit of a scramble to throw together a funeral and a celebration in three days time.  Actually it was two days, as he passed on the Jewish sabbath and we were not able to even contact the Jewish Cemetery until Saturday night because they were closed.  Also, in a traditional Jewish burial, embalming is not allowed, so you have to get the body in the ground ASAP.  Fortunately, things went as smoothly as one could possibly ask for, given the fact that it is the Christmas holiday, and many people were either out of town  or had prior plans that could not be cancelled on such short notice.  Regardless, we had a nice turnout, and the Rabbi modified his travel plans to perform the service.  

Anyway, my father is resting peacefully between his wife and his mother, and his soul has been freed.

Thank you all for your prayers and kind words.  Taking my daughter to see the new Mary Poppins movie tomorrow morning, followed by some R&R, and a tasty Christmas dinner at my former in-laws house.

Wishing all those who celebrate a very Merry Christmas.

Loren

Hi Loren,

So sorry to learn of your father's passing. From reading your first few posts on this thread it's clear he was a remarkable man. You must be immensely proud and have many fond memories. His models are remarkable too and I do hope they're preserved in some way.

Warm thoughts for you and your family at this time,

Stick.