sharpening knives

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d4klutz

Reaction score
So, i love a good sharp knife. The issue is, that I am not sure what to use to put and keep a fine razor sharpbedge on my knives. I grew up using a medium arkansas stone, but now, it seems all diamond sharpeners and quick pull through sharpeners. I dont just want a quick edge. I want one that will almost cut you just looking at it. My stones all have chips in them now, and I am looking for a solid, quality replacement.

I have heard that leather strops work great for the final polish of the edge. I know that there are japanese water stones that can do a good job, but those can be downright rediculously expensive. What should i use that is economical, yet good quality for a true razor sharp edge?

I use a smith's diamond sharpening stone with some honing fluid followed by a leather strop. They run about $25. There might be better systems out there but I can get a very sharp edge with this system.

0ccae638d5d7e2b0b9b80c373b711b5e.jpg

Where do you get your leather strop and the paste for it?

I use an AL oxide stone for the initial shaping and then go to Arkansas stones. If I want it even sharper I go to wet/dry sandpaper on a hard flat surface. If I'm convexing the edge I go with either a mouse pad or a magazine under the paper.

APKurt":rg0yarae said:
d4klutz":rg0yarae said:
Where do you get your leather strop and the paste for it?
I got everything from an Amazon  :D 
73b188de94addb7960f2cd910f059f15.jpg
 :shock:  :bounce: Only if she would do personalized deliveries.  :lol!: 

Seriously though, I will look there. Thanks. I have a prime membership, so I order quite a bit from there.

I use Japanese waterstones all the way to 20,000. They are the best system and put the best edge on any tool you want an edge on. If using a pull through sharpener make sure that your edge striations are perpendicular to the blade. The horizontal striations from a pull through sharpener will cause your knife to become dull very fast.

The waterstones are expensive, but they are the best method, of course I am a woodworker and hand plane and knife collector and so buy the best I can find.

There are many great books on sharpening out there. Check Amazon for some.

natural Japanese stones can get crazy expensive, But you can get very good synthtics.

This is a very good starter set
http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/Dave-Martell-s-Core-Set-of-Sharpening-Stones-p/set1dmcore.htm

I have the Bester 1200 & the Rika 5k from that set, the coarse stone was out of stock, so I got a Naniwa Chosera 400
that I really like.
If your doing folding Blades, or basic kitchen stainless you can stop at the Rika 5k. For straight Razors & hi-End
Carbon knives add a Kitayama 8k and maybe a Takashima Awasedo
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/sharpening-supplies/tennen-toishi-natural-stones/takashima-awasedo-large.html

Stropping Leather you can get here
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004242/8620/Leather-for-HoneSlip-Makers.aspx

I glued  up 2 pieces of Plywood to get knuckle clearance, & mounted the leather with contact cement.

A great set of vids. sharpening related.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBF55079F53216AB

I've had good luck using a 12" soft then hard Arkansas stones followed by a 1/4" X 12" crock stick held against my chest and finished on a leather strop loaded with jewelr's rouge.

Years ago I sharpened/repaired surgical instruments for a living. Few methods of sharpening can surpass a 1x30 inch belt sharpener w. a good quality 1000+ grit belt. Commercial grade sharpeners are still quite expensive, but a good economical unit can still be had from Harbor Freight for around $40.00. Once you get the technique down, you'll never need another stone sharpener.

John, you can true up your stones by grinding them on a rough, flat surface. Even a sheet of thick glass with some abrasive on it will work.
I just use a convenient spot on the floor of my carport.
I recently made myself a strop with a piece of leather glued to a board that I carved to resemble a paddle like the one my shop teacher used to
warm our britches when needed.
I just use green buffing compound to "charge" the leather. Many times all it takes is a few licks on it with the blade and it's razor sharp again.

Well, I have several methods of getting a super sharp blade and keeping it.  I am still trying to find better ways, but for now, I do the following.  

1) I inspect blade for nicks, etc.  I then mark the edge that I want to sharpen with a sharpie, so I can see nicks better, etc.  
2) I chose a grade of wet/dry sandpaper based on how much sharpening needs to be done.  I usually use 1000 or 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper.
3) I put the sandpaper on a mousepad and proceed to sharpen it until very sharp
4) I polish the edge with a leather strop.  

Knife is now practically razor sharp.  I just got a harbor freight 1x30 belt sander for christmas.  I am going to be ordering the leather belt for it and some super fine grit belts as well.  I have a couple knifes that I have inherited that need to be shaped, nicks removed, and sharpened.  I will take some before and after pics when I am done.

I would eventually love to get some japanese water stones, but for every day use, my current method works quickly and very well. Edges stay sharp, even after cutting cardboard, plastic, etc.