Shave of The Day

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idlefellow":ka2x17n9 said:
rick":ka2x17n9 said:
British Gillette Flare tipped Super Speed razor + Feather blade
Rebristled old Ever ready brush (my old GrandDad's)
My homemade vetiver shave cream (mix of QED vetiver soap and Salter's Vetiver cream)
Pashana After shave
Guerlain Vetiver cologne
Ah; sources for re-bristling brushes? I have a beautiful German brush my father-in-law brought back from WWII; would love to have it restored. Any suggestions appreciated.
PM'd you with this info: posted for others as well........................

rodd at www.theshaveden.com has done really nice things with brushes (new and old)

Hey guys, my SOTD

Vintage Gillette Tech
Feather Blade
Old Post Road #4 (new formula)
Generic Witch Hazel
Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad ASB

This was an amazing shave. For those of you that don't know, OPR#4 is a lather-free shave soap that goes on fast and provides an incredibly close shave. I was able to get a BBS without any irritation at all. I have been a brush and soap/cream guy, but OPR#4 is an incredible alternative.

Disclaimer: I have no ties to any products mentioned other than being a user and a fan (of everything listed BTW) :mrgreen:

Gillette Aristocrat 48-50
Derby Extra Blade
Proraso SC (C.O. Bigelow)
C.O. Bigelow scentless ASB
Penhaligon's Bleinheim Bouquet Cologne

Merkur 39c (Slant SledgeHammer) + Derby Blade
Rooney EMillion (in fo horn) brush
The Shave Den (www.theshaveden.com) Bay Rum soap
Hawleywoods No. 9 After Shave splash
my own Bay Rum after shave balm.......................you can PM me if ya want the recipe ;)

Just bought my first brush and soap today at CVS. What kind of maintence does the brush need? i rinsed it today afterwards and it kind of fluffed up for lack of a better word. Should I just let the soap dry or was that right?

Either way, I used a Mach 3 and it was the best shave I ever gave myself. My wife compared it to when I get a shave at my barber shop.

rinse the brush with warm water and then with cold water.
Shake until damp and then dry on a towel and fluff it up some.
Stand it on its base and you should be just fine.

I went to my usual barber after work yesterday morning for a haircut and shave. This is not new place or a new barber. I had my first haircut with Tony 20 years ago. Since then, my hair has started to fade on my head but I do have a heavy beard. Well, Tony is getting old now and I will never get a shave from him again. There was just something disturbing to hear his heavy Italian acent say, "Oh, lotsa blood..." This used to be my treat going in for a shave, and now my stuble is just as bad as before I went in and I'll have to shave again today. :cry:

So in short, Barbersol shaving cream (heated) and an old straight razor that really needs to be sharpened.

BrAnt":tonas755 said:
I went to my usual barber after work yesterday morning for a haircut and shave. This is not new place or a new barber. I had my first haircut with Tony 20 years ago. Since then, my hair has started to fade on my head but I do have a heavy beard. Well, Tony is getting old now and I will never get a shave from him again. There was just something disturbing to hear his heavy Italian acent say, "Oh, lotsa blood..." This used to be my treat going in for a shave, and now my stuble is just as bad as before I went in and I'll have to shave again today. :cry:

So in short, Barbersol shaving cream (heated) and an old straight razor that really needs to be sharpened.
It's truly a sad day when you're struck with the realization that someone you've grown up admiring and respecting simply doesn't "have it" any more. I don't know if it's more feeling sorry for them, or knowing that we'll be there some day as well.

Anyhow, Merkur 33C with a Dorco blade
Art of Shaving Lemon
Finished up with Witch Hazle

Merkur 1904
Taylor Of Old Bond Street Pre-Shave Treatment
Vulfix 2234S
Mama Bear Hinoki Wood
Witch Hazel

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjMtMjAwOTEyMjQtMDgxM.jpg

This morning:

Geo Trumpmer's "Coral Skin Food"
Rooney Super Badger brush
Mama Bear's "Indian Tobacco" soap
My Grandfather's Gillette with a"Persona" blade
Geo Trumper's "Spanish Leather" aftershave
Hermes "Rocabar" cologne

Muhle R41 razor with Derby blade
Simpsons Super 2 banded badger T2 brush
my personal blend of Bay Rum SCream (cross between a soap and a cream. Think REALLY thick cream)
Michelsens Bay Rum After shave

First shave with my recently-acquired '62 Fatboy! Used Mama Bear's Ginger-Lime soap, my old reliable badger brush, and had a ball!! Started with the setting on "1" and worked up to "4." I probably need better blades (have a sampler package on the way!), but the shave was absolutely great. Even though I haven't used a DE in about 25 years, it felt quite natural. No cuts, scraps, blood, etc!!!! Finished off with Thayer's Lemon Witch Hazel with aloe. I'm in love!! FTRPLT

ftrplt":qrqpdrv0 said:
First shave with my recently-acquired '62 Fatboy! Used Mama Bear's Ginger-Lime soap, my old reliable badger brush, and had a ball!! Started with the setting on "1" and worked up to "4." I probably need better blades (have a sampler package on the way!), but the shave was absolutely great. Even though I haven't used a DE in about 25 years, it felt quite natural. No cuts, scraps, blood, etc!!!! Finished off with Thayer's Lemon Witch Hazel with aloe. I'm in love!! FTRPLT
I hear you! You just cant beat a good vintage Gillette razor, about the best shave there is.

I am absolutely thrilled with this Merkur 38C and Taylor Of Old Bond Street shaving cream. I have shaved 5 times with it I think. I don't shave everyday. But I think I really could and not suffer any skin irritation. Still using the Merkur blade that came with it. The razor and blade is outstanding for me. Nice, smooth, close. The Taylors cream is as luxurious as any I have ever tried. I keep trying to make the pea sized dab smaller each time and it still whips up a silky smooth shaving cream with my badger brush like none I ever saw before.

I do wonder how the Wilkingsonsword blades will do in this shaver.

Just picked up a R41 Muehle open comb. Had the first shave with it this morning with a Gilette in the yellow package. Quite impressive combo. I really like this razor almost as much as I love my old 1930's New Nolfork. :D

Carlos":px0phshm said:
I am absolutely thrilled with this Merkur 38C and Taylor Of Old Bond Street shaving cream. I have shaved 5 times with it I think. I don't shave everyday. But I think I really could and not suffer any skin irritation. Still using the Merkur blade that came with it. The razor and blade is outstanding for me. Nice, smooth, close. The Taylors cream is as luxurious as any I have ever tried. I keep trying to make the pea sized dab smaller each time and it still whips up a silky smooth shaving cream with my badger brush like none I ever saw before.

I just ordered the Merkur HD, I hope it yields great results as well.

Carlos":jajljj19 said:

PM me your address and I'll send you some good blades !

................Merkur = lousy :lol!:

SOTD:
Simpsons 2 banded super Tulip2 brush
Merkur 39c (SledgeHammer) razor + Derby blade
Mitchells Wool Fat soap
Alt Innsbruck After shave splash
RNB ASB