Shaving as a hobby?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpipes

Reaction score
While I do have some of my grandfathers old shaving implements that are pretty neat, I am having a hard time getting my mind around actual shaving as a hobby.

Perhaps some of you guys that do shave could weigh in on this.

I have not shaved in well over 20 years.

Justpipes":2a8saol5 said:
While I do have some of my grandfathers old shaving implements that are pretty neat, I am having a hard time getting my mind around actual shaving as a hobby.

Perhaps some of you guys that do shave could weigh in on this.

I have not shaved in well over 20 years.
That's like brushing one's teeth for a hobby.

Although I haven't really gotten into it myself, it's no harder to understand than pipe smoking being a hobby. It has things you collect, different products to try. Just dragging a razor across your face would be comparable to smoking cigarettes, it gets the job done. Warm, fragrant lather artfully prepared then applied. Removed with a finely tuned instrument that the owner finds pride in transforms this daily duty into an enjoyed ritual... like pipe smoking.

I think the trouble with the term "hobby" as it pertains to shaving is that you usually can't do it just whenever you want. I can smoke a pipe at a moments notice. I can shoot my bow weather permitting. But to shave, I have to wait on the hair to grow. Unless you have some sort of shaving rotation, shaving different regions... :shock: I don't like the way this is going.

I fall along the lines of Carlos' ritual aspect.

showme

I can underdtand the collecting of shaving implements as I have a few old straight razors and brushes, mugs, etc. but the shaving part; well I always hated it and that is why I haven't done it in over 20 years.

Please don't misuderstand me as I am not knocking anyone else that shaves and enjoys it. It is just not my thing. I do think that the old shaving paraphernalia is neat.

showme1or2":5s4dm30y said:
I think the trouble with the term "hobby" as it pertains to shaving is that you usually can't do it just whenever you want. I can smoke a pipe at a moments notice. I can shoot my bow weather permitting. But to shave, I have to wait on the hair to grow. Unless you have some sort of shaving rotation, shaving different regions... :shock: I don't like the way this is going.

I fall along the lines of Carlos' ritual aspect.

showme
Now instead of a "What are you smoking" thread, it will be "What are you shaving?" Yeah, this is creeping me the hell out. :shock:

Piping and Shaving are a lot alike but aren't really hobbies. They are lifestyle choices. Sounds strange but follow me. There are people that buy multi thousand dollar pipes and they don't even smoke, they rack em on the mantle as show pieces. There are also people that buy uber rare straight razors, and yet don't shave, or use a schick quattro when they do. To these people it is a Hobby.

Now if you or I get the 11 grand one off Sixten, its a whole diff ballgame. I am going to (borrowing here) ritualize the deal. I'm not going to stuff Capt Black in it and fire it up with my bic. I'm going to smoke 'special' tobacco it it, maybe that renassaince I have or maybe one my favorites, Penzance or PSLNF. Chances are I'd use matches to light it, and I might even go so far as to buy a special Tamper for it.
Shaving is the same way. I have several nice 'out of production' straights that I only shave with at the house. I always use Mamabear soaps with them, stropping them is a joy instead of a chore, much like cleaning your favorite pipe. I only use them occasionaly, but we wouldn't burn that Sixten day after day either. My 'daily' shaver is an almost 100 year old Gillette. I'm a bit easier with it. I might use Proraso, or Nancy Boy (don't laugh its damn good product) or even one of the Big 3 T's. I'm the third and only living man to use this razor, a lot of times I think about those fellers when I shave,just as I think about those before me when I smoke an old pipe.
They both even have their own language. If I put "02 NC in an old 120" in a 'morning smoke' thread you would know what I'm sayin, just as if I put" an AC,with GFT almond,and skinfood" in a 'morning shave' thread most shaving 'hobbiest' would know what I ment. Both give back what you put in it. If I smoke cheap (not economical, there is a diff) baccy in a dirty pipe its not going to be pleasant. If I just want the nicotene or like to 'smoke' a pack o camels or some swisher sweets will work. Just as if I choose the wrong shavegear and don't maintain it, its not going to be pleasant. If I just want a semi-stubble free fave a dollar bag o razoers and some spray can cream will work. In both cases if I want an enjoyable experiance that is something 'more' than just shaving or smoking, I have to make some informed decisions on equipment and learn how to properly use and maintain it.
.IMO 'hobbiest' robs what it really is. I'm a pipe smoking enthusiest and a shaving enthusiest. Hope something here made sense.

Afterthought: can't really be a hobby if you use it for its intended purpose.

Imagine if you will a guy with 1000's of old matchbox cars. It would be fair to say his hobby is collecting matchbox. Now imagine his kid/grandkid gets into the collection, is his hobby collecting matchbox? No sir, lil feller is gonna zoom zoom, vroom vroom them cars all over the place, he'll probably even pick out some favorites, and put em in 'garages' and such. No he's not a hobbiest, lil feller is an enthusiest

I see your point, but the "What are you shaving?" thread is funnier.
:lol!:

PB,

You have graced us with another bit of observation and wisdom from the "road".

I hope that you are keeping a journal in hopes that someday you will have a published memoir and hopefully it will be while you can reap the financial benefits of it. How about a current publication say like in a rag or news paper column.

"Wisdom From the Road" by Puros Bran.

PB,
Your posts are always good, but this one is an award winner!

I figured out long ago that if I was going to have to shave anyway, I might as well enjoy it. I started using a mug and soap many years ago, but just in the last year have I begun using a DE razor. It takes just a little longer, but I love the close shave...and, I'll admit: I love the thought that I'm using an instrument that harkens back to another time.

Mike

An interesting point really. To me i have 2 separate methods of shaving. One is more like a hobby, the other is a chore. When i need to have a shave for work or whatever, i use a mach 3 (still use brish and soap however) and can get a reasonable shave in a few minutes. I dont enjoy it very much its just because it needs to be done. When i have time however i use either my DE gillette classic razor or a straight razor, i prepare a proper lather with soap and brush, soak my face, have a slow close shave and really enjoy the ritual and process. Because i make a distinction between the two it allows me to enjoy shaving almost as a hobby.

I apply this same logic to smoking a pipe/cigar. I enjoy the ritual and the time devoted to the hobby, therfore if i want a smoke i make sure i have the time to have a proper smoke. If i i dont have the time then i wont smoke. The only thing that separates my feelings/actions between smoking and shaving is that shaving is neccessary sometimes, so i have to get one with it, smoking is not necessary so i dont do it if i cant do it properly.

As for pipe smokers and shaving. I have found there to be 2 types of pipe smoker, those who really enjoy ritual tasks and old time ways, shaving being one of the most common. And then there are those smokers who have beards, LOL. I fall somewhere between the 2 as i have a beard around my jawline, but shave my neck, lip and cheeks to keep it all neat.

I shave six days a week and could never consider it anything but a chore. The only time I it somewhat a pleasure is after a workout and steam. After a steam the shaving is easy and my face feels like a baby's butt! Nice and smooth, yet somewhat wrinkled (due to my age :cry:
Currently where I work out there is a "no shaving" sign in the steam room. This is a pisser since the shave while taking a steam is second to none. Still, I'm a rule breaker and shave in there from time to time.

I only shave my neck and it is sometimes a chore, but I also enjoy getting out my badger hair brush, cup and shaving cream, and straight razor for a really close luxurious shave. I do this maybe twice a week. One thing about a straight, if you go a few days without a shave and get a little stubble going, it won't clog with hair like a multi-blade razor.

Smokey

As someone who routinely uses Art of Shaving products and some other soaps (I currently have Lightfoot's Pure Pine), it's awesome to see others have the same interest. I got into this as a gift but have quickly enjoyed the benefits. If shaving using Barbasol and a Schick disposable is a cigarette, then shaving using soap and a brush is like a Castello full of Navy Cavendish. Same philosophy.

Incidentally, I don't get up any earlier to shave with a brush than I normally do.

Try:

0649.jpg

Just the other day my father in-law gave me a mug and some soap with a nice brush. He gave it to me because I have problems with my very course beard. It is a night and day difference. I will never do back to shaving cream. Can sombody tell me how to get started with a straight razor and what to buy?

Thanks

J_Rock":5vrlaqtl said:
Just the other day my father in-law gave me a mug and some soap with a nice brush. He gave it to me because I have problems with my very course beard. It is a night and day difference. I will never do back to shaving cream. Can sombody tell me how to get started with a straight razor and what to buy?

Thanks
Check this out.It should answer all of your questions.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33718

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

You need to do several things to get into straight shaving.

First go to youtube.com, do a user search for Mantic. Whatch his videos. The safety razor And the the straightrazor stuff.

If your still interest afterwards go to straightrazorplace.com and read until your eyes hurt.

If still interested aftwards ask the guys over there to point you in the direction of a shave ready straight and a strop.

You can spend between 20-30 bucks all the way up to 'Holy Crap' on a razor.
I like the off-the-rack stuff Theirs-Issard has but some prefer Dovo, or Vintage/Custom stuff.

Strops are the same way, but expect to pay between 40-50 bucks for starters. I prefer the German style paddle strop over the 'oldwest' leather strop, but there again its just preferance.