Shaving soap recommendation/source

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Dave

Reaction score
Well it seems as if the local drugstore is not carrying the old Williams shaving soap anymore. Any recommendations for a good soap and where I can order it on the internet would be greatly appreciated.

T&H,Taylors, or Trumpers from www.classicshaving.com are all top notch, but
I love Mamma Bear soap, its a little mom&pop soap making outfit out of Wisconsin(I think). Google it.

I forgot to add, The T,T,T or MB soaps are a lot larger than the Williams Pucks, so don't get sticker shocked to bad :)

If you insist on Williams,Wal-Mart carrys the brand.

Colonel Conk and Vanderhagen Deluxe are good soaps and not very expensive.

LtMac

Soaps from www.theshaveden.com are very good and reasonably priced.
Sample pucks are available and there are many scents (both Essential Oil and Fragrance Oil based) to choose from.

I like Art of Shavings unscented and lemon soaps. Both can usually be found on Ebay at a good price

There are some really nice looking soaps and creams available for shaving - especially at the London shops.

I get perfect shaves using Palmolive cream (in the tube), and also the shave stick. For aftershave I find Nivea aftershave balm is the best I have tried.

They are cheap, available, and work perfectly - I won't be bothering Trumpers or anyone like that.

Alan :pipe:

I'll put my vote in for Mama Bear's soaps. Best i've ever used, and a great variety of scents - some with essential oils only that are easy on the skin if your face is sensitive. I order 4-5 at a time and it lasts over a year (varies with the person - my Dad goes through them quicker for some reason).

Ty

Some one above said the Art of Shaving, I have their perfect shave kit with the oil and the cream, and it is the best cream I have ever used. I have tried, Colonel Conk, Taylors, and many other fancy brands but I find the art of Shaving is the best. I can even shave across the grain around my neck and there is virtually no drag and no burn. It is a bit costly being $22 for the oil and another $22 for the cream, but I think it is well worth it for the closest shave you will ever get.

I started using The Art of Shaving system more than 6 months ago, Sandalwood version. While they tell you the $22 size lasts 3 months, I've only had to replace the pre-shave oil. The shaving cream looks like I have another 6 months or more in the jar. The best stuff I've used so far.

lbiislander":vbme3ozn said:
I started using The Art of Shaving system more than 6 months ago, Sandalwood version. While they tell you the $22 size lasts 3 months, I've only had to replace the pre-shave oil. The shaving cream looks like I have another 6 months or more in the jar. The best stuff I've used so far.
I use the Sandalwood version also, I can tell that I will have to replace the shave oil sooner than the cream, but the cream looks like it will last forever. lol :D

The Art of Shaving sandalwood shaving cream smells absolutely sublime, and it works great too. I used to buy it from Nordstrom or May Co. But I believe they have to order it for you now.

I've been using a straight razor for the last 10 years or so and the one shave soap that I love the best is Musgo Real. No need for a brush, 10 dollars for a tube, and a great earthy smell. Its also lanolin based (probably why it doesn't work great with a badger brush) but it is a phenomenal shave soap.

I've been buying my shave supplies from classicshaving.com for years and they have been great to do buisness with.

I've used several shaving soap thru the years. Tabac and Proraso are few of those low budget soaps that work well. IMHO.
Castle Forbes products are very good also, but the price is different. Currently i'm using Mitchells Wool Fat Soap, and i think that is the one i will stick with: unscented, reasonable priced, makes rich lather and lasts very long. I've used my current puck for over a year now.