Shaving soap recommendation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just now realized this thread is still going. :)

PB: Westminster and the entire Denver area is very different, now. There has been a boom that started in the 80's that promoted sprawl and changed the landscape irrevocably. I arrived here in mid 90's and can barely believe what has happened these past 20 years.

Monbla: it's true that a hot towel provides a great pre-shave step, but it is not for all. I'm a cold water shaver and cannot use hot water without the risk of ending up with red and irritated skin. You can, however, have as much of a luxurious shave with cold water as you can with hot water, if you know what you're doing.

Nismo: I'm loving the S2, not so much because it is a great shaver (which it is), but because I love stainless steel hardware. My other razor is a Mongoose, which is a nice way to enjoy the benefits of Feather blades. This is my current shave set-up:

I've never used JB Beard Lube, but I've used the Supreme Cream and find it to be a great shave cream. I have to try the beard lube. I use brushless creams when I travel, but prefer the pampering that face lathering with a nice brush provides.

Dottle, I agree with you. I got out there a couple times in 2001-2002 but other than the view off in the distance nothing looked the same.

I'm very satisfied with this one:

shea-moisture-utility_soap-1.jpg

I have been using one that is sort of a liquid soap in a pump bottle. It is call Kiss My Face. It is great stuff.

I see all these pics of neat new shaving accutrements and makes me wonder when I will have to get me some !! I'm still using the milk glass shave mug I got with some Old Spice for Christmas when I was 17 :

I got my old Gillette DE razor like this one, in 1982 and am still using it:

And am still using the silver badger brush my father bought me for my 19 th b'day. It's somewhat diminished in size from use over the years now but still performs flawlessly !!

I'm one of those who when they find what works stops looking for others!! Guess I'll just keep using this old stuff till it falls apart !!  :twisted:  :twisted:

monbla256":z46sk7z1 said:
I see all these pics of neat new shaving accutrements and makes me wonder when I will have to get me some !! I'm still using the milk glass shave mug I got with some Old Spice for Christmas when I was 17 :

I've got several of those and like 'em. Wish they still made the O.S. pucks for them. What do you use?

I've used Williams Shave Soap for almost 35 years now and they fit just perfectly !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":wkiay98m said:
I've used Williams Shave Soap for almost 35 years now and they fit just perfectly !!  :twisted:  :twisted:

I'm just wondering if you are still able to find Williams Shave Soap at the drug store as it was discontinued in July. MIKE

SPUD 15":154j9ds4 said:
monbla256":154j9ds4 said:
I've used Williams Shave Soap for almost 35 years now and they fit just perfectly !!  :twisted:  :twisted:

I'm just wondering if you are still able to find Williams Shave Soap at the drug store as it was discontinued in July.   MIKE
If not in the local drugstore, it is still available on Amazon at the moment

Thanks Doc I use bearded jacks soap. I was just wondering if monbla was having trouble finding the soap as he has been using it for such a long time. MIKE

Back in October I was at my local Walgreens and the lady at the counter told me when I went up to buy one bar of it that it was being discontinued and all they had was what was on the shelf. I went back and got the remaining 8 boxes of it so now have 9 bars sitting in my cabinet. I use a bar of it each year so now have 9 years worth and will begin picking up more when I can find 'em !! :twisted: :twisted:

SPUD 15":35gu5nwd said:
Thanks Doc I use  bearded jacks soap.  I was just wondering if monbla was having trouble finding the soap as he has been using it for such a long time.  MIKE
I just found 6 more at e-barbershop on the web so I now have 15 pucks which ought to last me the rest of my life !! :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks for the heads up on Williams; I found two 6-packs on line and ordered them up. If I run out of those I'll just grow a beard :sunny: .

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, non-tallow-based soap?

Zeno Marx":m5vocndk said:
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, non-tallow-based soap?
Is there a particular reason you need a non tallow based soap? Here's some info about some of the myths about tallow based soaps:        http://sharpologist.com/2012/05/7-common-tallow-soap-myths.html

Because I want one without tallow.

I happened to read that not long before posting, and while it is nice and all, when I've looked at ingredients on the sides of packages, there's no way to tell if they're beef tallow, an industrialized bastardization of the term, or what. So, for now, if it says tallow, it is beef tallow. I'd like to find a cheap one. What's cheap? I'm not sure yet, because I'm sure it is relative. Maybe not including tallow makes it a niche, pricey product. We'll see.

Zeno Marx":0cc0olfh said:
Because I want one without tallow.

I happened to read that not long before posting, and while it is nice and all, when I've looked at ingredients on the sides of packages, there's no way to tell if they're beef tallow, an industrialized bastardization of the term, or what.  So, for now, if it says tallow, it is beef tallow.  I'd like to find a cheap one.  What's cheap?  I'm not sure yet, because I'm sure it is relative.  Maybe not including tallow makes it a niche, pricey product.  We'll see.
I'm guessing that you are a vegan and don't want to use any meat products? I've seen some at different sites but they are VERY pricey, in the $20 to $40 range per puck !! Way above my price range for shaving for sure !! You might want to try these flks as they make all their soaps in Arizona :

http://wetshavingproducts.com/

Hope you find some !! :twisted: :twisted:

Mordechaj":f3z3f92i said:
I'm very satisfied with this one:

shea-moisture-utility_soap-1.jpg
Hey, this stuff actually works! Lathers like crazy with a brush and smells really great. Doesn't have anywhere near as much body as quality creams and stuff, but it will deliver a very pleasant shave.

I shave once or twice a week (neck and cheekbones, the rest is bearded), and for now it looks like this one bar of soap will last me a lifetime! Been shaving like that for two straight years now, and it's still almost as out-of-the-box. :lol:

That and a simple safety razor, where a packet of blades lasts several years for me.

If only I could get back all the money sunk in stupid multirazor shavers, creams and other crap that cost more and shaves worse.